Sound matters - sound architecture (buildings)

I saw this one on hacker news as well.

While I agree with the main point (sound matters), I disagree on the specifics.
The clearest example is how I strongly prefer to suppressed sound of Penn Station over the noisy Grand Central.
That library is horrible as well.

hmm.. other than not being able to hear the anouncements due to too much reverberation, I still prefer these open ones... unless it is winter, in that case these are colder...

I like those samples.

Not so sure if this is still so relevant though?

Sound may be invisible or only unconsciously perceived, but that doesn’t make it any less an architectural material than wood, glass, concrete, stone or light. It is shaped by design, albeit most architects rarely think much about it, except when their task is to come up with a pleasing concert hall or a raucous restaurant

Autodesk is a popular and long used software for architects, and they had Ecotect for acoustic analysis before it became part of the Revit suite.
With Revit being more of a standard now, I'd have thought the acoustics are considered just as much as things like daylight analysis.

Listening to those samples though, makes me want a quiet-pod I can escape to for some silence now and again ... it is constant bombardment of background noises eh

Back