Sparrow-bullets

ible

professional vim user
Hey all,

I'm working on combining Sparrow3D (Ziz's nice game/drawing engine) with the Bullet physics engine, and I've already made some pretty good progress, at least compiling for my Linux distribution (lubuntu).

New video, showcasing levels and menus:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/K-ouuWwczM4?feature=oembed

The source is at:

https://github.com/lowagner/sparrow-bullets

Presently I don't have a Pandora, so I can't check if it works (well) on it or not.  

Relatedly, I haven't compiled the necessary Bullet physics libraries for Pandora.

Perhaps that is difficult, hopefully it is not.  Let me know if you have any ideas on that.

Hope you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bullet Physics is easy to compile iirc. Needed it for the Kenta Cho games.

Hey!

I remember, we spoke some time ago.

Sorry, I totally forgot about your project. I will see, whether I will find time the next days to test your work on my Pandora. :)

Greetings,

Ziz

I will see, whether I will find time the next days to test your work on my Pandora.  :)

Awesome, I will hope for sooner or later :) .  

I also started making some legit levels in the dumps subfolder.  I would put up more videos, but I don't want to take away the fun of figuring out the levels for yourselves :) .

I noticed that libbullet-dev is an available package on the Debian ARM repository, so things should work out one way or another with Bullet physics.

I really hope the physics engine runs well on the Pandora. It looks quite promising, what you have done with sparrow3d. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there ible.

It's a really interesting small project. You're mentioning an intent to run it on GCW Zero. If you need any help with porting it to this platform, let me know :)

I am very curious about performance of Bullet on that device.

@ible

I compiled it natively on the Pandora.

The example is running fine (didn't ched much the speed as I'm also compiling other things in the background, but more than 20fps on a Gigahertz model, so I guess 40~50fps if I stop my compilations). Alo, the help is not good on the Pandora, as sparrow automaticaly use the Pandora buttons ;)

I tried to compile dumps, but the "dumps/utils.cpp" file is missing from your github...

Anyway, looks very good so far, good work!!!

Whoops, sorry ptitSeb.  I forgot to git add util.cpp.  It's there now.

Excellent to know it's running well enough.  I updated the controls on the README for a Pandora, so you may be helped there if desired :) .

Thanks zear for the offer!  Honestly I'm not sure where exactly to start with the GCW-Zero.  I picked Sparrow3D since it offers compilation to these various devices, and because it's super easy to compile and mess around with.  Anyhoo, I'd appreciate any direction in this matter.

Ok, compiled. 

I paused my other compiled...

So I get better framerates now (I just changed in main.cpp, the "framerate" from 10 to 20, to cap @50fps).

I thing there are some pb with the levels, I don't exactly get the same things as in your video (look at the screenshots). In the level selection, the "ground" seems to small, the hero is not there. I used the menu to get to next level. I works (I have difficulties to jump on the blue plateform, but that maybe just me, but it seems the hero is not jumping as high as in your video).

Still, it move nicely on the pandora, but I think the timer is ticking a bit too fast.

dump1.png

dump2.png

Yeah, the timer should be roughly going in seconds, so something is probably going on there with my conversion.  Perhaps that is a question to ask to Ziz.  I convert from Sparrow3D's Uint32 steps (in the update function) to my float dt via dt = steps *1.0 / 1000.  Doing some tests on my computer, that seemed to give dt in seconds.  Perhaps the conversion factor is something platform specific...

And the hero should clear the floor by around 1.5 times her height when jumping.  If there's something funky with the time, then that might be messing you up.  Otherwise, try to get a little momentum before jumping, because you can't change your momentum in the air.

Not sure at all what's going on with the menu level, why the hero isn't rendering...

Yeah, the timer should be roughly going in seconds, so something is probably going on there with my conversion.  Perhaps that is a question to ask to Ziz.  I convert from Sparrow3D's Uint32 steps (in the update function) to my float dt via dt = steps *1.0 / 1000.  Doing some tests on my computer, that seemed to give dt in seconds.  Perhaps the conversion factor is something platform specific...

And the hero should clear the floor by around 1.5 times her height when jumping.  If there's something funky with the time, then that might be messing you up.  Otherwise, try to get a little momentum before jumping, because you can't change your momentum in the air.

Not sure at all what's going on with the menu level, why the hero isn't rendering...
On the menu, I have noticed, by comparing with your video, that many things are missing. The hero (may be it fell?) and the other grounds with the numbered level. I only have the "Marathon" level here. Are the data files up to date on the github? I'll probably try to take a deeper look tomorrow on the Pandora.

Yeah, all the data files are up to date.  Levels are actually hard-coded into the cpp files in the dumps directory.  (See for example lvllow.cpp and lvlmenu.cpp for my levels and the level-select menu.)

Also... You have to beat the levels in marathon mode for them to appear on the level select screen.  That's why you don't see the numbered levels at first like you did in my video, because you haven't beaten the requisite levels in marathon mode yet.  It's to help the player feel like they accomplish something ;) .

If you beat a level in marathon mode, and it doesn't show up the next time on the level select screen, then something is wrong.  Let me know if that's the case!

Back