Speccyal'K v0.3 released

_tyrell_ posted on May 12 2003 said:
yes at Maybe you could try to remove the "SPECCYAL.INI" file located in the GPMM directory and see how it reacts. But I fear
that the problem's not lying there unfortunately ...

_tyrell_
Doesn't work on my system I'm afraid. The first version of 0.3 would just reboot my GP32. The second version sometimes gets to the spectrum bootup screen and then crashes when loading a file...most of the time it doesn't even get that far. Removing the INI file was no help.

Changing the batteries and running the GP32 from a mains adaptor did not help and I haven't installed any firmware.

Could it be down to the lower CPU speed utilized? Earlier versions work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
_tyrell_,

got your mail, i didnt bring my GP into work today (was too wet here in Scotland) but ill try it as soon as i get home

Same here.

Has anyone tried the new version for download with the original clock speed?

asterix* posted on May 12 2003 said:
Same here.

Tried the 110Mhz version and 100Mhz version of 0.3 and both crash.

Has tyrell released a version of 0.3 running at 133Mhz? I don't see anything on the website.

asterix* posted on May 12 2003 said:
Thanks to an email from tyrell I realised my mistake and downloaded the version that runs at 132Mhz.

Still no joy tho, when I run the program the screen goes black and the GP32 crashes (no response from any of the buttons).

Same here. Sorry Tyrell - still crashes - although this time it just goes black rather than showing the Sinclair Research line...

Hi all,

First, I'm really surprised by the feedback. Surprised because one guy told me he had bought the gp32 solely for my emulator (IMHO, somewhat exagerated ;) ) !
I'm sorry that the current version cannot stand to the expectations of some peoples.
But getting it to work for everyone is not impossible. It's just a matter of time and of will (and a matter of finding the peoples able to help me to fix the problem). Let me ensure you that I'll do my best to offer one of the best gp32 speccy emus out there. In the meantime, you can still play with the 0.2 version ;-)

Yours sincerely,

_tyrell_

_tyrell_,

you just keep on doing your thing man. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

well said Loonie.

I never ever complain about anything that is released, so what if things aren't always 100%, that's part of the experience. I am sure that _tyrell_ will figure this out and then we will be praising the best Speccy emu around, and whatever else he's got up his sleeve ;)

Cheers _tyrell_

Keep it up.

MrT

_tyrell_,

as a great speccie fan im one of the many really looking forward to using your emu, and as im one of the ones that its not working on, if you want you can send me test files directly and ill test them right away (9-5pm British time, wont be on at night for the next couple of days :p)

up to u im all set up and ready any time, my email address is gb@vizionari.net

Cheers and g'luck :)

asterix* Posted: May 11 2003, 09:22 PM 
I'm just getting a black screen with a vertical white line about a third of the way across. 

Exactly the same over here. Pressing a key (any key) doesn´t change it. It just will not work, whereas the pervious version did.

THe rest of the software on my card runs fine.

Could it be the cpu speed setting?
Cheers, Mark

Ok ... problem fixed ! Go to www.speccyal.be and download the new update (same version number). This has been tested by nobrain2k who had exactly the same problem and now this is working for him. I had to make some compromises, so it's working but you'll notice some slight noise in some games menus. But for the majority of you who had a problem, this is definitely the version to get !

I'll see if I can fix the tiny noise problem now.

_tyrell_

I've found out that if "fast rendering" is set to off, all noise problems disappear :) So if you have this problem in some snapshots, you know what to do...

_tyrell_

_tyrell_,

working perfect now m8, nice one :D

one thing tho, could you make it possible to assign the space bar and return to keys from your keyboard

playing the dizzy games is extremely cumbersom having to push up, would be great if we could assign A to jump (space) and B for return (pickup/drop) the way it should be

ah right, didnt know that :) (goes to try it now)

one other thing.... you can save... but how the heck do you load? is it a 'save state' thing? (please be so :unsure: )

em.. just tried this with Dizzy, set the controls to custom and set Z to left, X to right and Fire 1 to * (space), but it didnt work, none of them did and i know these are the right keys for the game :p

any ideas?

oh and aye ye need the return key in there someone cause when you set it to custom it stops you pressing return completely

Cheers

Last version I downloaded (13th of may around 22:00 Dutch time GMT+1) doesn't reboot the system, but the 48k sound does seem to be missing. Still a great emulator though! Keep it up.
Cheers, Mark

Yes, as I've said I'll add the enter key soon or later (there are other keys I could add as well : shift, ...).

The list of things to do:

- Save games (48k games only in a first version)
- Redesign the virtual keyboard (* and = are not especially intuitive keys)
- Try to eliminate noise as much as possible

Hope evryone's happy with this new release !

_tyrell_

Back