Speed Problem With Drmd Genesis Emulator

Niku

Still Fresh
I just got my GP2X but I'm having some teething problems, I tried to run DrMD but all the games run at about 5x speed, reducing the cpu power doesnt seem to make a difference (they just run badly at 5x speed) and adjusting the frameskip seems to make no diference at all. Has anyone else had this problem?

As a side note Picodrive runs most everything at the correct speed but strugggles with some fast games like sonic 2, so I'd like to ttry and get both working.

Niku posted on Sep 21 2006 at 09:50 AM said:
I just got my GP2X but I'm having some teething problems, I tried to run DrMD but all the games run at about 5x speed, reducing the cpu power doesnt seem to make a difference (they just run badly at 5x speed) and adjusting the frameskip seems to make no diference at all. Has anyone else had this problem?

As a side note Picodrive runs most everything at the correct speed but strugggles with some fast games like sonic 2, so I'd like to ttry and get both working.

Not sure. DrMd runs fine on mine, every game runs at original speed dont need to set o/clock.

Maybe an experienced member can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah! I have never heard of a problem like this. It runs 5 times faster than it should??? Maybe try a version that doesn`t have the MMU hack included? I don`t know where to get one for you. Now that Reesy has left the forums... I think somebody might be able to host an old version for you to try.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 21 2006 at 12:06 PM said:
Now that Reesy has left the forums... I think somebody might be able to host an old version for you to try.

God, I must have beed asleep! When did this happen? Do we know why?

Thunderchild posted on Sep 21 2006 at 07:09 AM said:
God at I must have beed asleep! When did this happen? Do we know why?
Fuck searching. ;)

I never had that problem either, and frankly it sounds made up. Try DrMD V5 Beta 7, and re-install everything according to the readme. Your problem should go away then, as it's most likely a temporary, once-in-a-lifetime occurance.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Sep 21 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
Thunderchild posted on Sep 21 2006 at 07:09 AM said:
God at I must have beed asleep! When did this happen? Do we know why?
Fuck searching. ;)

I never had that problem either, and frankly it sounds made up. Try DrMD V5 Beta 7, and re-install everything according to the readme. Your problem should go away then, as it's most likely a temporary, once-in-a-lifetime occurance.

- Alex

Hmmm, tried that, no joy. I am using DrMD V5 Beta 7, I'm installing the program as directed by the readme:

DrMD - GP2X Version Instructions
------------------------------------
Installation
Copy DrMD to a folder on your SD card. It can be placed in any directory but be warned it
will create 3 sub directories in the folder than it is executed from. These directories are called
MD,SMS and GG and are used to hold savestates and configuration setting. Because of this
I recommend putting DrMD in its only directory /mnt/sd/DrMD for example.

Create another 3 folders on your SD card, these folders will be used to hold your rom files. The setup
I use is as follows

<SD CARD ROOT>roms\MD - Put your Megadrive games in here
<SD CARD ROOT>roms\SMS - Put your Master System games in here
<SD CARD ROOT>roms\GG - Put your Game Gear games in here

Feel free to you your own setup, the directories can be called anything you like and can be located anywherey you like. Just remember where you put them because you will need to browse to these directories the first time you try and load a game.
Once you have your folders setup, copy some roms into each of the directories and you are ready to go.

Setting up default rom locations
The first time you attempt to browse for roms, DrMD will start you in the DrMD installation directory. This doesn't mean you have to put all of your roms in the installation directory, its simply the default place the rom browser will look for roms.

In the rom browser anything that starts with + is a directory, selecting a directory will move you into that directory, you will then see a list of the files in that directory. ".." is always the second option in the list of roms, selecting this will take you up a directory. Use the rom browser and navigate to the directory where you installed you MD roms. Once you are in the directory return to the main menu and then enter the MD options screen. Near the bottom of the screen is an option called "Save current rom directory", if you select this DrMD will save the curren directory and use it as the default directory when loading MD roms.

Repeat the above process for SMS and GG roms.

Everything else is pretty simple, so I'll let you work it out............have fun.

Which seems idiotproof, if theres something I'm missing then can someone point it out.

I'm not making this up, it seems to be a really rare problem but I have found one other post on a forum with someone with the same problem (no answers there tho), reinstalling doesnt make any difference and I'm not sure what to do with the source code you linked to, can i run it on my gp2x when it doesnt have a .gpe executable?

I'm gonna try and track down a previous gp2x version as most of the older versions I can find (4.1 for example) are for the gp32 with a .fxe (or something similar) extension.

In case it makes any difference my GP2X is straight out of the box this week, I've hardly done a thing to it except install some sdl libraries, run some movies and play beats of rage, thats it apart from DrMD and Picodrive (both of which i've been running with sonic 2 and toejam and earl to see how well they run).

I also just tried DrMDx V4.3, this does exactly the same thing, games run fine but running way too fast, it must be something to do with my GP2X, but I dont know what.

Region settings could hardly account for 5x the speed. DrMD has capped framerate afaik, so this may be caused by your specific unit. Maybe something in its firmware isn't sitting well.*

- Alex

* I'd recommend flashing it, but I wouldn't want to have you on my conscience ;)

Alex. posted on Sep 21 2006 at 09:27 PM said:
Region settings could hardly account for 5x the speed. DrMD has capped framerate afaik, so this may be caused by your specific unit. Maybe something in its firmware isn't sitting well.*

- Alex

* I'd recommend flashing it, but I wouldn't want to have you on my conscience ;)

Would flashing it make a difference I wonder? i tried the different regions but no difference :-( I may well try flashing it tomorrow, see if that helps. Just out of interest what firmware are you using?

I'm on 2.0 and it works fine for me.

BTW, have you tried PicoDrive? If the trouble goes away, and you don't want to flash your FW, I'd stick with that ... it has a higher compatability anyway (and SRAM save support)

TelcoLou posted on Sep 21 2006 at 10:00 PM said:
I'm on 2.0 and it works fine for me.

BTW, have you tried PicoDrive? If the trouble goes away, and you don't want to flash your FW, I'd stick with that ... it has a higher compatability anyway (and SRAM save support)

Jsut so you know I tried flashing my gp2x, the reinstall worked fine but the problem remains :-( not sure what to do now, might try and get my console exchanged.

Just a quick note to everyone who asked if he had tried Picodrive:

He already said that he HAD tried it in the original post! And that it runs at normal speed.

Lobo posted on Sep 22 2006 at 12:25 PM said:
Just a quick note to everyone who asked if he had tried Picodrive:

He already said that he HAD tried it in the original post! And that it runs at normal speed.

Ooops. :rolleyes:

Trooper

trooper posted on Sep 22 2006 at 11:51 AM said:
Have you tried picodrive ?, In fact, Have you tried any other game/program/emulator ?. Have you set the frameskip option to auto in DrMDx ?.

Trooper

:D yeah I tried picodrive, runs great, in DrMD I tried every frameskip. doesnt make any noticeable difference, theres definately no improvement.

Hmm. Strange indeed.

Don't go exchanging your '2X just because this one emu seems broken. Have you tried other emus, as Trooper suggested? Since Reesy is no longer updating DrMD, you may as well drop it. PicoDrive is still being worked on, and chances are, may improve speed-wise. I just overclock when games seem to run too slow.

TelcoLou posted on Sep 22 2006 at 09:09 PM said:
Hmm. Strange indeed.

Don't go exchanging your '2X just because this one emu seems broken. Have you tried other emus, as Trooper suggested? Since Reesy is no longer updating DrMD, you may as well drop it. PicoDrive is still being worked on, and chances are, may improve speed-wise. I just overclock when games seem to run too slow.

Picodrive does work well, I am having a few other teething problems tho, but these might not be my console at all, sam and max on scummVM has really squeaky speeded up sound & music, when the speech is on they sound like chipmunks.

Back