Spotify For Pandora, Linux Etc.

dentrado

I found this open source spotify client today (Proof of Concept multi-OS client with curses (text-based) UI):

CODE
www.despotify.se

From the site:
"You'll need OpenSSL (libssl-dev), zlib (zlib1g-dev), libvorbis (libvorbis-dev), pulseaudio (libpulse-dev) and expat (libexpat1-dev) to compile."

So i think it should be able to compile on pandora, or is some of these libraries problematic?

Last edited by a moderator:
But can't you pust a small text explaining what's this? Why whould be excited or interested on this?

Now I have to go figure out what Spotify does and then possibly yell at you if it turns out I didn't care at all.

Sorry, I didn't realise spotify is not so known outside Sweden, it's a music streaming program with a quite large music library. it has a free version with a few ads, and a premium adfree version. (despotify doesn't show ads for either the free version or the premium.)

for more info:
CODE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify

you will need an invite to get an account for the free version
this site has some invites left:
CODE
http://spotify.rejected.se/

'dentrado' said:
you will need an invite to get an account for the free version
this site has some invites left:
CODE
http://spotify.rejected.se/
I have a few invites left if someone would like to try Spotify out. Just send me a PM with your e-mail address.

On topic: Very nice if this client could be ported

dentrado said:
Sorry, I didn"t realise spotify is not so known outside Sweden, it"s a music streaming program with a quite large music library.
It is known in the UK, they recently started sales here (and I am a client).

'Bronek' said:

Sorry, I didn"t realise spotify is not so known outside Sweden, it"s a music streaming program with a quite large music library.
It is known in the UK, they recently started sales here (and I am a client).

I am a UK client of Spotify too, would be pretty cool addition to Pandora.

oh i really hope they get this going, i just signed up to spotify yesterday and am so far very impressed. i expect that the adverts will eventually become more frequent because i barely even noticed any yesterday. will i ever buy any music again?! (of course i will)

i love spotify and am actually using it to listen to some of my fav music as i type this. The idea of a port for pandora would be amazing, combine pandora + spotify + teatherable phone with a 3g broadband contract = amazing music device. Has anyone emailed the spotiy team making them aware of the pandora?

For those of us in non supported countries, you CAN listen to Spotify Free client once you are registered. I used the link above to get an invitation but Spotify wouldn't let me use it. I tried a US based anonymous proxy but apperently the US isn't supported either. However one of the below UK Proxies should work.

CODE
http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/anonymous_web_browser/
http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/

Once you are registered you have to log into the site directly to download the client. The proxy rightfully doesn't want to use it's bandwidth for a 2.5MB download.

Then install the client, and ta-da. Works fine for me in Canada. Should also work in other non-supported countries.

Shhh though, don't tell anyone.

According to the despotify.se site, Despotify is now blocked to free/daypass accounts now, and they are not planning to work around the issue. Shame, although the real Spotify works great through Wine, I'm guessing this will be a problem with a Pandora version (unless I'm in the minority of people using a free account!).

'BackAssward' said:
For those of us in non supported countries, you CAN listen to Spotify Free client once you are registered. I used the link above to get an invitation but Spotify wouldn't let me use it. I tried a US based anonymous proxy but apperently the US isn't supported either. However one of the below UK Proxies should work.

CODE
http://www.htmlblock.co.uk/anonymous_web_browser/
http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/
Once you are registered you have to log into the site directly to download the client. The proxy rightfully doesn't want to use it's bandwidth for a 2.5MB download.

Then install the client, and ta-da. Works fine for me in Canada. Should also work in other non-supported countries.

Shhh though, don't tell anyone.

why go through all the effort to access a service that has been done before and done better

why go through all the effort to access a service that has been done before and done better

Some seem to like it. Not much effort, one extra step from the usual (the proxy). Why do you go to so much effort to post a negative comment with no added value to the thread?

I tried it, its nice. Done better? How do you know? Did you try it yourself? Who did it better, in what way? [citation needed]. If some other company did it better, please enlighten us with details (add value, instead of just shit on things), let us know so that we can check out the better implementation ourselves... or did you just pull that out of your ass as usual?

The steps are for those who want it. You don't want it? Then move on, since you added no value in this thread. Why decry those that try to help others? Does it make your lack of value easier to personally accept?

Edit: Also, it is clear you didn't try it at the time of your post, regardless of if you try it after your post. Though I suspect if you respond that you will say you had tried it, to appear like less of an ass. Then the question is, if you post again, will you actually tell us who did it better and in what way... and how this "better" is a tangible thing we can all agree on or just some crap you make up to validate the shit comment.

i've not seen it done before or done better anywhere else. i mean i guess theres last.fm radio but that appears to have fewer tracks and a limit to how many times you can listen to a track. that doesnt constitute better in my books. i do like the way that spotify can link up with my last.fm to log what i am listening to as well.

'BackAssward' said:

Some seem to like it. Not much effort, one extra step from the usual (the proxy). Why do you go to so much effort to post a negative comment with no added value to the thread?

I tried it, its nice. Done better? How do you know? Did you try it yourself? Who did it better, in what way? [citation needed]. If some other company did it better, please enlighten us with details (add value, instead of just shit on things), let us know so that we can check out the better implementation ourselves... or did you just pull that out of your ass as usual?

The steps are for those who want it. You don't want it? Then move on, since you added no value in this thread. Why decry those that try to help others? Does it make your lack of value easier to personally accept?

Edit: Also, it is clear you didn't try it at the time of your post, regardless of if you try it after your post. Though I suspect if you respond that you will say you had tried it, to appear like less of an ass. Then the question is, if you post again, will you actually tell us who did it better and in what way... and how this "better" is a tangible thing we can all agree on or just some crap you make up to validate the shit comment.

i think mr. cranky needs a nap

'PoisonedV' said:
i think mr. cranky needs a nap
You still haven't given an example of a better service of a similar nature than Spotify. I'd like to know what it is too.

Well, it's a social networking type music streaming site with playlists, streaming music, and radios, so I'd say Pandora or last.fm more or less does the exact same thing, and so I could see why someone in one of its originating countries would want it for regional music, people from the US jumping through hoops to access it doesn't really make sense.

'PoisonedV' said:
Well, it's a social networking type music streaming site with playlists, streaming music, and radios, so I'd say Pandora or last.fm more or less does the exact same thing, and so I could see why someone in one of its originating countries would want it for regional music, people from the US jumping through hoops to access it doesn't really make sense.
It's an alternative... but I'm also happy with last.fm, I already have a client for that for all my media players and Mobbler on my phone.
I do have a spotify account, but I still haven't got around to using it to be quite fair.

'PoisonedV' said:
Those outside the US have no access to Pandora (music service), and Last.fm has limited playback for some songs (e.g only 3 maximum). Spotify has unlimited playback.

Back