Spys

vic20-ian posted on May 6 2005 at 07:17 AM said:
From what I have observed what you describe is normal behaviour as opposed to the behaviour of so called "hardcore' and 'guru' members who seem to post a lot but say little of value.

The fact that some people read some of this and cannot be bothered to add some irrelevant comment is fine with me.

I would rather have a sensible debate about an issue than a thread with 50 uninformed negative comments. If you want an example of this try reading a thread about whether it is possible to use bigger XD memory cards with an adapter. Lots of dross and a couple of sensible posts by people like Mr Spiv.

Lurking is fine, posting when you have something relevant to say is fine, the rest of you are effectively spammers who should be banned or get a life IMNSHO. :D

Zorn posted on May 6 2005 at 02:40 PM said:
:mellow: :rolleyes:
Just compare those posts...
It seems that not everybody´s listening to what you where writing, vic20-ian ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I lurked for 2 years before finally joining. I browse for informaton, updates, and downloads, Usually on my lunch break if I don't have my gp32_console with me. I'd rather spend time playing some games than answer questions such as:

"Hey, I'm thinking about porting the Nintento DS emulator to the GP32 so I can play GBA games through it... only I don't know how to code, tell me what you think!!!"

I think you should buy a book or go to college. Or spend more time playing your GP32.

well i never....

intersting topic

nice to hear from the invisible members!

i must say i started off as a keen lurk'

i always find something to say these days!

like finty is an ass! there i said it ;)

sensible GP32 posted on May 6 2005 at 05:48 PM said:
well i never....

intersting topic

nice to hear from the invisible members!

i must say i started off as a keen lurk'

i always find something to say these days!

like finty is an ass! there i said it ;)

Yes!, But there`s a difference between just saying something for the sake of it and saying something because it true. :p

Trooper

I would bet that many of the lurkers are non-GP32 owners. I know that the GP32 is brought up on other forums like Zodiac and GBA, DS etc boards. So I would bet that many get curious as to "what the hell is this GP32 thing" and come here to find out. I would imagine that most don't go through the trouble of registering if they only have a GBA etc. I am sure many of them have questions but since there is no guest posting you wouldn't know.

vic20-ian posted on May 6 2005 at 07:17 AM said:
From what I have observed what you describe is normal behaviour as opposed to the behaviour of so called "hardcore' and 'guru' members who seem to post a lot but say little of value.

The fact that some people read some of this and cannot be bothered to add some irrelevant comment is fine with me.

I would rather have a sensible debate about an issue than a thread with 50 uninformed negative comments. If you want an example of this try reading a thread about whether it is possible to use bigger XD memory cards with an adapter. Lots of dross and a couple of sensible posts by people like Mr Spiv.

Lurking is fine, posting when you have something relevant to say is fine, the rest of you are effectively spammers who should be banned or get a life IMNSHO. :D
Actually a lot of the people with high post counts post in off-topic. Perhaps the concept of social interaction does not appeal to you, and you see this forum merely as a problem-solving or debate area with no sense of community. People who feel the need to post in every thread they read even if they can't contribute anything are indeed spammers, but I believe they make the forums somewhat more friendly, bump topics and prevent a utilitarian and exact discussion. This is not a hardcore board for experts only, we have a lot of newbies and it helps to be as friendly and active as possible.

well the worst thing about it, and i've had it happen to me, is once you start posting, people see, "oh you just joined what the hell would you know about whatever" just because you've joined today doesn't mean you haven't had your GP32 for a year or so, and people don't really know, getting rid of the post count was good, but now people are looking at the number of blue things. This cannot be helped though.

I do alot of posting in the other consoles because i like the sense of community and the general knowledge that all of us have about everything else non gp32 related and plus its fun getting into fanboy fights regarding the DS and PSP and Nintendo and Sony :p

After i discovered the gp32, i used to lurk here and on gp32gaming.de (now dead :( ). But 5 weeks later i got my GP32, felt like asking some questions and joined.

I used to be a lurker, and then I posted a few times, and then I left for a while, because at the time, I was at another message board (and thus was more involved over there), but then a bunch of newbies joined there and now it sucks. :( So I quit there (though some of the non-lame people there go to a specific IRC channel of which is of another community, but more like a branch of the first comminuty), and came back here to see what was new, only to read about the BLUs. :)

I have a question, it's not really related to the topic, but why does everyone hate the PSP? Not really hate, but kinda avoid it? I used to be like that, but then I got one to play a game that I thought looked really neat (Lumines), and the game ROCKS! But yeah, the PSP is kinda blah, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of bass in the sound, the surface is super glossy (even on and around the buttons!!), which can only serve to get fingerprinted up, and yatta yatta yatta, but the game Lumines really rocks. It's the only reason I play the PSP. :D

Anyway, what are the blue things? They're somewhat tied to the post count, it seems, because posting seems to make it go up it seems, seemingly.

Is there a word for the intimidation that you feel when you're talking with someone huge? Like, Pea, or Mr.Mirko or something? How do you impose that intimidation? A lot of people do that for me, but I can't figure out what it is that makes them like that. Probably a combination of power, seniority, and lowercase. :p Some of these people aren't even intimidating by personality, they're really nice and friendly, but I don't know what makes them so intimidating!

Oh well, welcome to the new users. :)

Edit: I just realized how abruptly I shift subjects. o_O

it probably is intimidation thing, someone with 5 blue things must know more than someone with 2 regardless of when they joined. We all know that is not true.

As for the PSP, it was just released not to long ago, so its glossy who cares, its a game system not a boom box so the sound is fine for a game system. I love my PSP but am bored with it now as i'm bored with my DS, there's nothing that interest me for it now, that is until Coded Arms is released.

rabbits with hats posted on May 6 2005 at 07:38 PM said:
Some of these people could be perverts that don't have GP32's, we need a test!

Probably no worse than those already registered. :p

Trooper

The GP32 isn't just a handheld device it's a hobby. There are people who want to get involved and those who chose not to. It's a free world for those who want to do whatever they wish.

I personally respect the choice of others and will leave it at that...

tattooman posted on May 6 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
The GP32 isn't just a handheld device it's a hobby. There are people who want to get involved and those who chose not to. It's a free world for those who want to do whatever they wish.

:p

Trooper

tattooman posted on May 6 2005 at 09:51 PM said:

Right on!

Back