Sqdef 1.3

xnopasaranx said:
Yeah that's a pretty good idea! This project has come along really well. I remember beta-testing this for the compo :D

ps: donated!
Yep, it got a lot greener since then ;) Thanks for your donation! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have no money or PayPal to donate, so I "pay" with suggestions and testing. ;)
After hours of testing and reaching wave 60 (reaching, not beating! :lol: ) I have a pretty good feeling about the new Game features and the "over-all-balance" I think.
Game gets better and better, I like the new features and details, tiny little $ signs are nice. :) So we have a better feeling that enemies give money. ^^
But I think there should be some mayor changes onto the new Slow-Down Tower. At its current state, these Towers are nearly useless because they just slow down one enemy. To be effective, we need many of the towers but there is already not enough space for this. And they have no effect on bosses. Why? I think this should be the main feature because it's hard to beat bosses in the later waves and there could be a little more help. And I had no faster kills because of the slow-down Towers in later waves. Even with a hand full, they make not enough difference. And I think they are ways to expencive. The range isn't great to.
My suggestion is to make a tower who simply slows down everything in range so there also is no need for these additional "beam", which gives more overview during heavy fights. The range of slow-downs could be displayed as semi-transparent, purple area when selecting the tower.

Or to save even more space, the Slow-Down feature could be integrated into the path itself:

sqdef00019vz1.gif

One Tile for maybe 250-500$? AND a research option to increase the slowing rate from 25% to 50% ? :)

Next thing is this "Scythe" (funny word ^_^) Tower. Impressive thing but not as effective as it could be. In later waves this thing is nearly useless, you do more damage with a normal Quad-Fortress (for half the price) I think. The Scythe makes alot of damage but only hits the enemies very short, to short. My suggestion is to add more "wings" onto the rotating Tower, maybe 2 or 4 at all and maybe more range. So this improves it's effectivity. Just one Tower is ok but this also make it not very effective later (and I think this Tower was designed for the hard waves)

And I just tested a normal single path Map. Multi-Path Maps are even harder I think. Here, my setting in the last waves, no chance to beat wave 60 in one or two rounds even with more towers.
sqdef00021my8.gif

Nice feedback Fusion, much appreciated!

I'm not sure about altering the path tiles directly, but perhaps being able to upgrade individual Trappers to give them 2 or 3 targets would be a good solution. I made the bosses immune to slowing because otherwise it would be too easy to defeat them (especially in the earlier part of the game). Perhaps there should be a research option that allows boss slow down :)

The Scythe could have upgrades with up to 4 targets, that would make it more useful in the later game for sure.

Series-8 also made a nice suggestion in the other thread about a gatling gun, I think that would be a nice research for the Ice Turret, making it more useful in the later game where the Fire Turret is currently the dominant choice.

Oh, and I didn't forget about your bridge idea, that will hopefully also find its way into 1.4 :)

Alex. said:
I'm not sure about altering the path tiles directly, but perhaps being able to upgrade individual Trappers to give them 2 or 3 targets would be a good solution. I made the bosses immune to slowing because otherwise it would be too easy to defeat them (especially in the earlier part of the game). Perhaps there should be a research option that allows boss slow down :)
It was just a suggestion. :) We have so many towers and turrets, somehow there is a need for more free space. The Idea with Trapper-updates is good. Maybe these updates could increase the range to, like the turrets. And from Wave 45, the Bosses are not easy anymore. ;) With the later bosses, I had up to 10 ore even more rounds until they died. So I really could need a effective (and not to expencive) boss slowing.

Alex. said:
The Scythe could have upgrades with up to 4 targets, that would make it more useful in the later game for sure.
Yes, good Idea. :) The Standard "1-wing" Tower could be cheaper to I think. And do these "brush" target only one enemy or every enemy who touches the white trail ?

Alex. said:
Series-8 also made a nice suggestion in the other thread about a gatling gun, I think that would be a nice research for the Ice Turret, making it more useful in the later game where the Fire Turret is currently the dominant choice.

Oh, and I didn't forget about your bridge idea, that will hopefully also find its way into 1.4 :)

Yes, improving the smaller Turrets is a nice Idea. :) I'm a fan of the Fire Turret, I have to test a setting how far I can come with these in 1.3. But for the first Waves, the other Turrets are a good alternative to. For a future "campaign" option, this also would be nice if there are campaigns with just a limited variation of Towers.

...YAY, brides! :D This will be the Map-Layout Overkill!!! I have the "bridges over path" in mind but there also could be "tunnels under the non-path tiles" - enemies travel right towards the tower-tile and vanish under the towers, appear on the other side of the tile... :D

And do these "brush" target only one enemy or every enemy who touches the white trail ?

It damages everything it touches :)

...YAY, brides! biggrin.gif This will be the Map-Layout Overkill!!! I have the "bridges over path" in mind but there also could be "tunnels under the non-path tiles" - enemies travel right towards the tower-tile and vanish under the towers, appear on the other side of the tile... biggrin.gif

That would be too tough, but they will be able to travel under bridges where they can't be targeted:

sqdef-bridges-mockup.png
(just a mockup)

looks promising. :)

So, now I'm CHAMP. :D I've done 60 Waves:
sqdef00027km9.gif

Not easy because I had to buy over 100 Lives at all. Money was no problem because I've used the (relative) cheap Fire Turrets. No Lasers and no Q-Fortress (only one for testing) I love the range of the Fire Turrets.
The Pic may looking cool but there is just not enough overall-firepower to handle the last waves quickly. And my best Turrets had 400% Firepower-Bonus. ^_^
It seems effective to place trappers around the Scythe. With more effective trappers and a better Scythe, things could be more easy at the end. :)

fusion_power said:
looks promising. :)

So, now I'm CHAMP. :D I've done 60 Waves:
sqdef00027km9.gif

Not easy because I had to buy over 100 Lives at all. Money was no problem because I've used the (relative) cheap Fire Turrets. No Lasers and no Q-Fortress (only one for testing) I love the range of the Fire Turrets.
The Pic may looking cool but there is just not enough overall-firepower to handle the last waves quickly. And my best Turrets had 400% Firepower-Bonus. ^_^
It seems effective to place trappers around the Scythe. With more effective trappers and a better Scythe, things could be more easy at the end. :)

Ok...after reading all this....I'm still having trouble getting past level 40. How do you get a Q fortress? is it just by putting four fire turrents together?

And how do you get enough money for all those reward towers? I simply cant find enough money to even buy one, and I'm dead by level 35 or so! I simply love this game, but I guess my strategy sucks!

My main strategy is to start with 2 brown turrents and 2 ice turrents, all at different points. I then buy other turrents, and build up the 4 original areas, and buy the armor towers and fire research as I go. Then by level 30 or so I buy a laser tower or two, and then do the research for that when I beat the next boss, and then I die after that by level 35 to 37.

Can you guys detail your strategy to me please? Atleast 1 or 2 people?

Thanks,
DSR

The quad fortress is created by building four barricades or split barricades in a square.

My strategy is to keep turrets to the minimum required, and then buy as many pink towers as possible until you get to the around $2000 mark, at which point I start buying the 1% towers. I try to get at least 10 of them. From there on, you should start raking in loads of cash.

I was starting to think that 1.3 was a backward step - too hard because the larger area boosters have been removed - and then I upgraded one by accident last night! What a muppet - maybe I should have read the release note!

First, read the readme. ;)
You can build a Quad Fortress by placing 4 BARRICADES together. It doesen't matter if you mix the 2 Barricade types.
After the first boss, you should have enough money for building your first barricade OR building fire Turrets up to level 5. Don't forget to use Factories to have more money. Build just the towers you really need to beat the waves, all left over money goes into the cheap factories, they give 20$ each after every wave. At Wave 30 you should have more than 20 or even 40 of the ceaper factories. The more expencive purple Factory gives a 1% value but this is only if you have enough money left over.

Decide between Tower-usage or Turret usage. Towers are powerful but expencive, turrets are cheaper but weaker. (So you have more money to build factories) With more money you can research more firepower for the Fire-Turrets later. This and the Booster-towers in combination with the trappers can lead to success. (Example is my pic)
Don't forget, that not very map is so easy. I think many multi-Path maps need another tactic, I usualy play single-path maps.

EDIT: someone here was faster. :D Uh, yes you can upgrade the boosters now.

A sneaky way of dealing with multi path maps is to save before building between levels. Then wait to see which way the enemies go and restart...

I can't say for sure, but I'm sure that the enemies tend to follow the same paths much more often in 1.3 - they seem less random...

Gruntfuggly said:
I can't say for sure, but I'm sure that the enemies tend to follow the same paths much more often in 1.3 - they seem less random...
Paths' order is randomly calculated when you start a new game. This way the creatures will have chosen each possible path before choosing a path that they traveled before (this also guarantees that no one path will be chosen two times in a row). Prior to 1.3 the creatures chose a random path every time they crossed the finish line.

Now to make things more interesting I could make each creature choose a path that possibly strays away from the herd :)

That would be interesting - not necessarily harder though - quite often it's the fact that they are all in a bunch together that's the problem...

I noticed a small buggette too - I had a fair few fully upgraded fire turrets, and a couple of them got stuck firing at the entry point at the end of the level. No enemies, but they just kept firing. They sorted themselves out the next level though.

Gruntfuggly said:
I noticed a small buggette too - I had a fair few fully upgraded fire turrets, and a couple of them got stuck firing at the entry point at the end of the level. No enemies, but they just kept firing. They sorted themselves out the next level though.
Thanks for letting me know about this, I'll have a look and try to spot the problem.

Gruntfuggly said:
So when are we going to see a version where the creatures shoot back? Would be interesting to need to divert some of the budget to repairing towers...
I don't know yet. The next time I'll have free time I'll spend it on another project, and then I'll come back to Sqdef.

Alex. said:
Now to make things more interesting I could make each creature choose a path that possibly strays away from the herd :)
This could make multi-Path maps a little bit more easy because split waves maybe reach tower possitions, that a single wave wouldn't. :)

I hope for a little Update of 1.3 before another long break. So Trappers hit bosses to and the Scythe has more than one arm. ;)

Bug update - I noticed today that sometimes a quad tower near the exit was taking a pot shot at the entrance (way beyond it's range!) as each enemy went through the exit...

Gruntfuggly said:
Bug update - I noticed today that sometimes a quad tower near the exit was taking a pot shot at the entrance (way beyond it's range!) as each enemy went through the exit...
I'll keep searching for the bug responsible, I had no luck yesterday :(

Back