Sqdef 1.4

Looks awesome, I really like the new graphics. This is the first time in a while I truly feel the need to update by SD card. Thanks!

Just two words: Perfect homebrew.

(Provided future versions will be released)

I hope you will develop further versions of this great game and I gladly would see an enhanced Wiz and/or Pandora version.

Regards,
Stephan

Great update Alex! Graphics are looking very nice, and the enhanced features are promising (not played enough to comment on that)

I see hours of great gameplay in my crystal ball. Thanks a lot. You are the Notaz of Homebrew :)

Thank you for giving me a reason to pick up my GP2X again since Snake on Dope.

Enjoying it so far, will keep me occupied for a while I think :)

PokeParadox said:
Hmmm I can't press select on the new maps without it crashing :S
I'm on Open2X DR3 (with volume scaling) The classic maps are working fine
I'm too sleepy to take a look at it now, but I will tomorrow, and I'll see what I can do. Thanks for letting me know about this problem :)

Did anyone here manage to successfully run Sqdef with one of the new bridge maps on Open2x?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
PokeParadox said:
Hmmm I can't press select on the new maps without it crashing :S
I'm on Open2X DR3 (with volume scaling) The classic maps are working fine
I'm too sleepy to take a look at it now, but I will tomorrow, and I'll see what I can do. Thanks for letting me know about this problem :)

Did anyone here manage to successfully run Sqdef with one of the new bridge maps on Open2x?

I can confirm that they work fine on my F200 running the latest Open2X kernel (with the volume scaling) but only on top of GPH's firmware, not Open2X.

Ok, put Sqdef-2.gpe in the Sqdef folder and run, and if that doesn't work, also try Sqdef-2b.gpe. These two don't launch a menu back at the end by the way.

Sqdef-2 gets rid of some fairly large stack variables, and Sqdef-2b also turns off Ram Timings, just in case...

I should have worded that differently to say that I've tried it on GPH's firmware with the latest Open2X kernel and it runs OK. I have not tried it with the actual Open2X firmware at all, however.

Alex. said:
Awesome screenshots, mind if I add them to my page? And yeah, the Scythe's damage can get immense as long as it's got a little space around to build Armories :)
Sure you can use my Pix. :) Skythe has good damage but it touches the Creatures only short. I wish there would be some kind of statistic how much Damage a Tower(group) made onto a creature in each wave. A direct Damage Counter in numbers would be also a funny thing: selecting a creature and see how it lost lives in numbers instead of only a energy bar over the enemy, would be much more detailed. (High Power Creatures seems to lost no life because the energy bar is so small compared to the energy, the big creatures have)

I just want to confirm that sqdef 1.4 IS working fine... it actually turns out updating things the binary didn't get replaced when I tried it yesterday night! :(

So I feel very silly, but it took the gpes that Alex posted to realise that's what happened :S
Sorry for wasting peoples time...

PokeParadox said:
I just want to confirm that sqdef 1.4 IS working fine... it actually turns out updating things the binary didn't get replaced when I tried it yesterday night! :(
That's a relief, I'm glad you got it working! It was a good excuse for me to revise some of the messier code, so it was all for the better :D

sensible GP32 said:
Thank's alex this game is as earlier stated..... perfect homebrew.

you're a credit to the scene!
Thank you for that sensi, means a lot :)

fusion_power said:
Sure you can use my Pix. :) Skythe has good damage but it touches the Creatures only short. I wish there would be some kind of statistic how much Damage a Tower(group) made onto a creature in each wave. A direct Damage Counter in numbers would be also a funny thing: selecting a creature and see how it lost lives in numbers instead of only a energy bar over the enemy, would be much more detailed. (High Power Creatures seems to lost no life because the energy bar is so small compared to the energy, the big creatures have)
I think features that involve selecting multiple buildings or individual creatures would work very well with a touchscreen. Moving the cursor with the pad trying to catch a speeding enemy just doesn't sound too practical. Maybe in a future version. I could also put in an option to display a small box under every creature with its life number instead of the little bar.

I have a F-100, so no Touchscreen. Selecting creatures indeed would be difficult but maybe we could just select the path-tile, the creature is over? It would keep tracking only the first creature that was on the tile during selection, at the end it is not that important which creature we track. :) The cursor could be bigger over path tiles, and I'm for having only one step instead of 2 steps over paths, so the cursor path movement would be always from 32x tiles to 32x tiles, while the ground movement is still from 16x to 16x tiles. This also could make Cursor movement much faster because you only need one step to pass a path tile.
But yes, this all would be more useful onto a Touchscreen Device, maybe a Pandora-SQDef could have all these interesting features? ;)

Yesterday, I had a little accident. Instead of saving a map I was too quick and selected "surrender" straight underneeth. :lol: Maybe a little "confirm" box should make the surrender function more save? ^_^

fusion_power said:
The cursor could be bigger over path tiles, and I'm for having only one step instead of 2 steps over paths, so the cursor path movement would be always from 32x tiles to 32x tiles, while the ground movement is still from 16x to 16x tiles. This also could make Cursor movement much faster because you only need one step to pass a path tile.
Added to to-do list :) The same cursor graphics will be used, but drawn in the middle of the large path tile instead of the small building tile. Something like this already happens when you select the Quad Fortress. I can see how this could be confusing though, so it will be an option.

fusion_power said:
Yesterday, I had a little accident. Instead of saving a map I was too quick and selected "surrender" straight underneeth. :lol: Maybe a little "confirm" box should make the surrender function more save? ^_^
Nice idea. Didn't happen to me yet, but I know it will at some point :D

Back