Squidgesnes 0.395b1

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
This is really just a beta of 0.40.

It contains two completely different graphics renderers. One is the performance renderer, and the other is the accuracy/quality renderer. You can choose the best for each rom and save that setting. You can even switch the graphics renderer mid-game.

Note however that since this is a beta, you should really save your progress before changing the graphics renderer mid-game, in case it decides to fall over. It seems to work perfect in the few games I've tested however. For example, I played level one of donkey kong in the "performance" renderer, and then the second level was unplayable due to the foreground being almost completely covered in cloud. A quick change to "accuracy" and it was solved :)
[cut]
To perform a mid-game change in renderer at the moment, you need to go into the settings menu, change the renderer and then save that as the game config (not general config).

My next job is give the gui an overhaul.

URL: http://www.squidgey.plus.com/ssnes/

===================

For those who have not used this before:

SquigeSNES is an emulator for the Super Nintendo that runs most games, and a lot of them at (almost) full speed.

This is an update only. It requires files from a previous version.[/cut]

nice one mate! we need some stats though. I wonder how fast that accurate renderer is... will try it now! wooohooo...

Julius posted on Feb 28 2007 at 02:18 PM said:
Sweet! Got a changelog to what was changed compared to 0.394?

0.394 was the proof of concept version. This one actually supports save states again without crashing, you can also change the renderer mid-game rather than having to reload the rom. There's also been some internal restructuring. So i'd say this is the proper version ('tis the reason I never bothered "officially" releasing the previous version).

Now to rip out the gui and replace, that'll be 0.40 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, changing renderers mid game is a pretty bad-ass feature. Can't wait to try it.

Great work!!

(And to be complete: squigesnes is an emulator for the Super Nintendo that runs most game, and a lot of them at (almost) full speed.
While most people will know squigesnes, or understand when they see 'snes' in the name I still encourage you to include a very small description of the software inside your news post!)

But thanks for another great release!

noted :)

This version doesn't yet support transparency, but the next version should hopefully fully support it in "accuracy" rendering mode.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate that you're working on it again. Anything new about the sound bug yet?

Has this version merged in the changes that Ressy made, or is Squidgesnes and the Reesy version now 2 different trains?
In any case, thanks for the great work!!!

bagmouse7 posted on Feb 28 2007 at 07:47 PM said:
Has this version merged in the changes that Ressy made, or is Squidgesnes and the Reesy version now 2 different trains?
In any case, thanks for the great work!!!

SquidgeSNES and DrPocketSNES are two different beasts.

If you mean the changes that Reesy & Notaz made to SS however, then yes, they are merged in.

Squidge posted on Feb 28 2007 at 03:28 PM said:
SquidgeSNES and DrPocketSNES are two different beasts.

If you mean the changes that Reesy & Notaz made to SS however, then yes, they are merged in.

So the SS 'accuracy' renderer is not based on PocketSNES? Is this something you came up with on your own?

Also, I assume the 'performance' renderer is just the old SS renderer?

Great work mate, this is my SNES emu of choice, nothing against pocketsnes, but i just prefer this one and now its just gotten even better :D

I am very excited about the new GUI too. I wonder what it will be like. More cosmetic or functionally very different too?

Are you considering hot key support for renderer change? That feature would be cool.

"Performance" is indeed the original SS rendering engine.

and yes, the "Accuracy" mode is about 99% the same as DrPocketSNES (basically the graphics routines in the original Snes9X before the modifications by Yoyofr). However, the SS routines don't currently have the transparency support that DPS has.

The new GUI will be very different and basically a rewrite, which will include a different "in-game" menu, and hotkeys for common functions such as renderer change, quick save/load, etc.

Back