Squidgesnes 0.396

Shadowsithe posted on Mar 5 2007 at 05:15 PM said:
Is Terranigma working, anyone?

... gee, I don't know :huh: I could test it out myself, but I'm too lazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge, must we put mmuhack.o in the folder? Maybe that´s the speed problem.
I am gonna try it now.

TelcoLou posted on Mar 5 2007 at 04:17 PM said:
Shadowsithe posted on Mar 5 2007 at 05:15 PM said:
Is Terranigma working, anyone?

... gee, I don't know :huh: I could test it out myself, but I'm too lazy.

I lol'ed.

I can also second what rivroner said. Running Indiana Jones in DPS with transparencies on gives me about 26-31fps and smooth sound. The same level in SS accuracy mode with transparencies gives about 12-16 fps with stuttering sound.

I've tried Diddy's Kong Quest (Second level) and Indiana Jones Trilogy (1st level) and get 15 fps in both games on both emu's, which is about 1 fps difference between SS and DPS, so I'm confused :wacko:

Care to post your settings for IJT on both SS and DPS? I can't really fix something I can't replicate...

Squidge posted on Mar 6 2007 at 12:17 AM said:
I can also second what rivroner said. Running Indiana Jones in DPS with transparencies on gives me about 26-31fps and smooth sound. The same level in SS accuracy mode with transparencies gives about 12-16 fps with stuttering sound.

I've tried Diddy's Kong Quest (Second level) and Indiana Jones Trilogy (1st level) and get 15 fps in both games on both emu's, which is about 1 fps difference between SS and DPS, so I'm confused :wacko:

Care to post your settings for IJT on both SS and DPS? I can't really fix something I can't replicate...
Maybe is this the problem?
"Squidge, must we put mmuhack.o in the folder? Maybe that´s the speed problem.
I am gonna try it now."

Squidge posted on Mar 5 2007 at 06:17 PM said:

Hmmm. That's strange. I'm at school now, but I'll try it again when I get home in a few hours.

I can replicate the stuttering sound, and know why that is, but I fail to replicate the slow rendering in transparency mode. Sure its not something like DPS is overclocking and SS is running at default clock?

Squidge posted on Mar 5 2007 at 06:25 PM said:
I can replicate the stuttering sound, and know why that is, but I fail to replicate the slow rendering in transparency mode. Sure its not something like DPS is overclocking and SS is running at default clock?

I'm pretty sure I had SS at 250, and DPS at maybe 260. I don't want to say anything more until I get and verify my settings and make sure I'm not being an idiot. As my first post in this thread indicates, I tend to jump the gun sometimes. ;) I definitely didn't carry over the mmuhack.o if that makes a difference as rivroner's suggesting.

Thanks for following up on this though. It's much appreciated.

I have overclocked to same speed.Maybe the problem is mmuhack.o :D

EDIT: Yes, the problem was mmuhack.o If you put it into the folder this emu is as fast as Pocket SNES.Even rasters are fast, like in PocketSnes (Prehistorik Man can tell you :D )
There is a bug, if you turn On transparency in menu it doesn´t work.You must pres vol+- in game a press R until Tranparency is ON.
Thank you Squidge, now this emu is at least as fast as PocketSnes is.Only sound is the difference.

Yep, riv is right. It was the mmuhack.o. Wouldn't have thought it would make that much a difference, but adding the mmuhack to the SS folder changed the Indiana Jones frame rate from about 12 to about 24, which is basically the same as DPS (maybe a frame or two slower).

I tried this. Zips are definetly broke for me. When I try to load a zip it just instantly dumps back to the SS GUI. I unzipped the same game and it loaded fine. I can't seem to get transparencies to be transparent. They display opaque. I only tried one game though as i didn't feel like unzipping alot of things as my card is full. Yes I deleted old config, checked transparencies to ON, rendering to accurate saved and re-started emu. Also none of the settings seem to do anything unless you save and re-start. I tried to put the FPS display to on but it won't work unless I save it first.

DaveC posted on Mar 5 2007 at 09:48 PM said:
I tried this. Zips are definetly broke for me. When I try to load a zip it just instantly dumps back to the SS GUI. I unzipped the same game and it loaded fine. I can't seem to get transparencies to be transparent. They display opaque. I only tried one game though as i didn't feel like unzipping alot of things as my card is full. Yes I deleted old config, checked transparencies to ON, rendering to accurate saved and re-started emu. Also none of the settings seem to do anything unless you save and re-start. I tried to put the FPS display to on but it won't work unless I save it first.

Yeah, the options in the menu do seem to be a little flaky, but I find switching transparencies on and off in-game is working pretty well, which is phenomenal.

The zip thing is a little weird, as I did get zips loading one time. The strange thing was when I was running off a zip and tried to change renderers ingame the emu would crash, but with a smc the ingame switching was fine. Obviously I couldn't recreate those conditions to look into it more.

If Squidge gets the zips issue straightened out, and maybe gets the sound cleaned up on accurate+transparencies mode, we really will be getting the best of both worlds. :)

DaveC posted on Mar 6 2007 at 03:48 AM said:

Yes, menu transparecy option is not working.You must turn it on ingame with vol+- and then R until Transparency is on.

If you change the settings, you do have to save them first before exiting back to the game (and the game settings take priority over the global settings).

I think I know why the zip issued has occurred. I really need to zip my roms up, then I would have found the problem before releasing.

The transparency option not working is weird, but I'll try and figure that out later.

hackgrid posted on Mar 6 2007 at 06:01 PM said:
Mhz the text in the german version of Secret of Mana is still broken :/

Well, Secret of Mana and Secret of Mana 2 use Hi-Res fonts, maybe that's not implemented..?

Last edited:
Exuse my ignorance as I haven't played SNES games before..
Is there any way that the emulator could auto-detect when transparent sprites(? whatever) are used and automatically switch between renderers itself?

Sure, but it wouldn't improve framerate much because of the reason of: Transparencies which are visible to the emulator, and those which are visible to the user. For example, some times games use a transparency just to add a hint of color, but it's perfectly playable without.

Back