Steam Linux expands

I saw recently that they have the majority of the Civilization series in Linux Steam now.  The titles keep adding up.

So, this brings a question...

With the Linux X86 on ARM emulator code being discussed here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16876-emulator-brings-x86-linux-apps-to-arm-devices/

Would it be possible, in theory, for a Pyra to run the steam console?

If so, would it be able to run some of the -older- Steam on Linux games?

I'm not expecting the latest and greatest to work - but wonder if a proof of concept could be done on a dev board?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I haven't tried Steam yet, but maybe Civilization III and lower may work well.. I've actually tried the windows version of Civ 4 on the devboard and it may be too CPU intensive for the x86 emulation. Now maybe a native linux version may relieve some of the CPU load, but still thinking it may be too much.

From the video below it launches, the menu may actually work well if 3D acceleration was working, but it never starts a mission.. I even gave it two hours to attempt to load.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VyzYQOszSaw?feature=oembed

Yeah Bioshock: Infinite runs good on my desktop even on High, but I have the texture issue with AMD cards that are older than the 7000 HD series... so blah.

I should just buy an Nvidia card and save myself some headaches...

That's the theory.  I think someone did get Steam working, didn't they?
I did some tests with Steam Linux with linuxboch's Wine + Qemu... I managed to get to the login screen but not much further.

Yeah tested already on boilingsteam.com
I'm uncomfortable calling eON a wrapper. It's not really a wrapper. But I guess it kind of is. It's a native implementation of DirectX that uses OpenGL as it's backend. It takes the DX calls at compile time and effectively rewrites them as OpenGL calls. "Translator", perhaps? VP never refers to it as a wrapper, they actually do call it a "native implementation". Software is weird, I don't think we have enough words to describe the nuances between two similar things yet.It's not entirely dissimilar from lunixboch's OpenGL library.

Steam for Linux in Exagear on the Pandora won't start since it wants 3D acceleration to be available.

Don't have 3D acceleration working on the OMAP5 devboard, but I got the Linux version of steam to launch... Need to try some games when I get home, I used X11VNC to install steam and launch it, so it will be sluggish. Still having some sound stuttering on Debian Jessie that I need to sort out.

Steam_pyra.png

Steam for Linux in Exagear on the Pandora won't start since it wants 3D acceleration to be available.
3D acceleration is technically available via mesa. By "acceleration" I of course mean software rendering so not accelerated at all, but the calling code shouldn't know that. So long as it isn't actually doing any rendering it shouldn't matter, but I wonder how the streaming behaves via mesa, or if it'll work at all.

That's the theory. I think someone did get Steam working, didn't they?
I did some tests with Steam Linux with linuxboch's Wine + Qemu... I managed to get to the login screen but not much further.
Why use Wine? Isn't the X86 Steam Linux client native? Or is it leveraging some of the Wine bits & pieces?
Sorry to clarify, I mentioned Wine since it was all in the same archive... I was only technically using GLShim and Qemu from Linuxbochs.

3D acceleration is technically available via mesa. By "acceleration" I of course mean software rendering so not accelerated at all, but the calling code shouldn't know that. So long as it isn't actually doing any rendering it shouldn't matter, but I wonder how the streaming behaves via mesa, or if it'll work at all.
Streaming works, but its pretty chunky... can't say this is due to lack of 3D acceleration or CPU limitation yet.

This is good, but sadly beyond my budget. I wish there was a solid way to show support without spending so much money.

This is good, but sadly beyond my budget. I wish there was a solid way to show support without spending so much money.

Well it may be cheaper on a steam sale in the near future...

Back