Strange Problems With My New 2x..

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
I've been searching for info on these problems all day, as I'm sure that I've read about them from another thread. Unfortunatly I can't seem to find it now that I need it <_<

Just got my 2X a couple of days ago & love it, but all the problems I'm having seem to be graphic related..

1) When I turn on the 2X it boots fine but When it first enters the menu, there is a little flicker at the bottom of the screen before it fully adjusts itself.

2) Got the emulators setup, installed & mostly working fine, but sometimes games that normaly load ok just show a black screen. I try & exit the emulator as normal but nothing happens & I have to restart.

3) Got the TV-out cable at the same time as the 2X but I'm not too sure if I need the TV-out fixer to get it working right. SqidgeSnes (0.34) worked fine full screen the first time that I used it, but has since changed to using the left hand side of the screen only (full picture though). It seemed to change after I tried the GNGeo (Gngeo 0.6.10) emulator which never worked full screen & only shows a quarter of the picture??

I've tried with brandnew & fully charged batteries (Uniross 2500mAh Ni-MH), as well as a power supply but got no joy.
Getting a little worried now, so any help that you can give would be fantastic. Thanks in advance..

***EDIT***
DrMDv5b5 works spot-on with tv out by the way, but fails to load games sometimes. All the emulators have failed to load a game at least once & just given me a black screen. Happens when using TV-out & LCD.

****2nd EDIT***
Just thought..
A movie file failed to load & just showed a black screen too I think, after it had worked ok before :(

1. Its normal in Firmware 2.0
3. Not all emulators are made for TV out yet

4. Divx? That doesnt work sometimes for me

Cheers for the prompt reply marco0551.

1) Big weight off my mind for a start :D

3) I'm pretty sure SqidgeSnes has TV-Out as I checked it on the wiki today. I though I had also seen that the GNGeo had it too, but I could have been mistaken.
Maybe GNGeo did corrupt the settings for TV-Out in SquidgeSnes then. I did try SquidgeSnes straight after GNGeo failed to work?
I'll re-download SquidgeSnes just to make sure though

4) AVI from here! It's the 2.0 video from near the bottom of the page.

Cheers for the info chief :)

Shikaku posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:33 AM said:
There is a TV-Out fixer, might help...
Yeh I was looking into that, but I wanted to make sure that most of the problems I was having were known bugs or could be sorted out before I risk doing any kind of tweaking to the 2X. I'm not that brave yet :)

Just checked on the wiki & both SquidgeSnes & GNGeo have TV-Out enabled.

I'm actualy more worried about the games not loading everytime for all the emulators. It's strange that the video would do it too, if it was a problem with the emulators.
Can't be the SD card either, as I had the video file on a different one <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't be the roms i'm afraid.. I got the same result with an AVI file (divx inside the AVI file from what I can tell).

I'll be getting my new SDcard antime now. It will be easier to test it once that arrives.
Hope it's not a problem with the hardware or anything as bad as that :(

p.s The TV-OUT fixer worked on SqidgeSnes by the way (In case anyone was wondering)

"but sometimes games that normally load ok just show a black screen. I try & exit the emulator as normal but nothing happens & I have to restart."

Thats is completely normal with quite a few of the emulators, especially DrMD. It's not your GP2X fault.
As stated above, sometimes it helps to find another version of that ROM (if it's always the same one that causes problems). Compatibliity is NOT 100% for any emu.

As to your video problems, some .AVIs just don't work, either due to not being the correct format, or simply badly encoded.

Cheers for the reply's but after a full test of the unit, I think I know what the problem is..
looks like it's the same bug in the firmware, that won't let you come back out of TV-OUT mode & back onto the LCD.
After a lot of testing I found that it happens sometimes when the LCD is getting new commands etc.
It doesn't ever happen when running in TV-OUT mode, but it has happend in every program at least once when a File is started in LCD mode.
Even happens when trying to open an MP3 file, opening photo's or exiting the TV-OUT fixer <_<

At least it's not something that can't be tracked down & fixed anyway. Roll on the next firmware update :)

Back