Stuck & Dead Pixels Help!

rsuryase said:
Hats off to GPH and UPS. USPS took 5 days to deliver to GPH in Korea using Global Priority Mail. GPH took 1 day to fix my Wiz and UPS Saver took 2 days to deliver back to me. I mailed it on Monday and got it back the week after on Tuesday. This is fast service.

I just wanted to say that I have the same problem too and I blamed myself for not taking good care of it. But it seems it is not my fault, it just the fault of the screen of the GP2X, but I do love OLED technology..it feels like TV...the cool stuff but if it is going to be this unreliable then I will stick with LCD. However, I have one question. GP2X Wiz is going to have some awesome emulators and software releasing in august and so on..that will run at an awesome speed if I do get the Caanoo instead of another Wiz...would it be the same or is Caanoo going to be weaker than the Wiz??

Last edited by a moderator:
rsuryase said:
Caanoo has more RAM so performance will be better or at least same as Wiz.

Thanks and is Caanoo 100% compatible to Wiz? Can you say the Caanoo is just Wiz with extra features?

@All

Hey guys I have one other question about my current status of my Wiz. Is it normal that it does not produce a single sound and the only sound that comes out of it is through headphone sets but if you remove the headphone set the speakers are mute? Is that another defect my Wiz is acting up now beside dead screen pixels?

The Caanoo has the same guts as the Wiz, but the way the software is handled is slightly different, though very similar.
Basically, most Wiz software should be easily to recompile for Caanoo. Existing Wiz binaries (programs, apps) won't work on the Caanoo right away, the developers have to use their source code to make a Caanoo binary.

The extra ram should help things load faster and the new software management should maybe give performance improvements.
So yeah, Caanoo is pretty much Wiz with extra features and numerous hardware improvements, larger screen, removal of NAND in favour of better booting time, etc.

As for your Wiz speakers, it does sound like they're dead. Since the volume is a software control and you can still hear things through the headphone jack, speakers probably dead.
Seems like a good time to buy that Caanoo in all honesty.

Peter R said:
Doesn't ever work with LCD's either as far as I know.

Actually I have an EDTV that fell and hit the plastic thing on a CD spindle. IT has 1 pixel that goes black, but if you tap next to/around it it lights back up and works fine until something else taps the screen.

Not exactly a solution, though.

RupeeClock said:
The Caanoo has the same guts as the Wiz, but the way the software is handled is slightly different, though very similar.
Basically, most Wiz software should be easily to recompile for Caanoo. Existing Wiz binaries (programs, apps) won't work on the Caanoo right away, the developers have to use their source code to make a Caanoo binary.

The extra ram should help things load faster and the new software management should maybe give performance improvements.
So yeah, Caanoo is pretty much Wiz with extra features and numerous hardware improvements, larger screen, removal of NAND in favour of better booting time, etc.

As for your Wiz speakers, it does sound like they're dead. Since the volume is a software control and you can still hear things through the headphone jack, speakers probably dead.
Seems like a good time to buy that Caanoo in all honesty.

Thank you for the information, I am going to save up for a Caanoo. I will avoid Wiz now that Caanoo is the best alternative over Wiz, I got tired in my Wiz when I lock it and attempt to unlock it with fear of turning it off...I noticed the switch button on Caanoo solved the problem with the switch button on Wiz. I have to be honest....I STILL love the screen of the Wiz, it is the best bright colored screen I have seeing but the technology needs lots of improvements before released for public. There are lots of bugs on it...but if you where to ask me which screen type I would like to use on my console and even computer monitor it would be the Wiz's screen.

foody said:
Thank you for the information, I am going to save up for a Caanoo. I will avoid Wiz now that Caanoo is the best alternative over Wiz, I got tired in my Wiz when I lock it and attempt to unlock it with fear of turning it off...I noticed the switch button on Caanoo solved the problem with the switch button on Wiz. I have to be honest....I STILL love the screen of the Wiz, it is the best bright colored screen I have seeing but the technology needs lots of improvements before released for public. There are lots of bugs on it...but if you where to ask me which screen type I would like to use on my console and even computer monitor it would be the Wiz's screen.

Just as well, since the Wiz is out of production now and more or less the same price.
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-zvy-71-d1-49-en-84-k.html

OLED displays are without a doubt, freaking BEAUTIFUL, but they are expensive as all hell (part of why the Wiz unit is small), and I really don't like the idea of a PC monitor decaying a few years after use, pixel by pixel dying off.
Stick with LCD for the time being, it's more reliable and more than satisfactory.

I read SuperLCD (SLCD) is better with higher resolution and viewability under the sun. Better than Super AMOLED too, I think. But emulation focus on low resolutions so OLED is more suited for such devices.

RupeeClock said:
foody said:

Just as well, since the Wiz is out of production now and more or less the same price.
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-zvy-71-d1-49-en-84-k.html

OLED displays are without a doubt, freaking BEAUTIFUL, but they are expensive as all hell (part of why the Wiz unit is small), and I really don't like the idea of a PC monitor decaying a few years after use, pixel by pixel dying off.
Stick with LCD for the time being, it's more reliable and more than satisfactory.

There's no telling what size lifespan High-End OLED screens could yield. The technology is getting better and better, and soon we'll all have 1/2 inch TV screens ;P

I just got my new Wiz and the same pattern dying pixels on it. It's kind of unfair since I practically haven't used it yet...

rsuryase said:
Organic really means organic, the dead pixels is spreading like cancerous cells.
2938r2c.jpg

Having seen a few of these failed displays: the blob area to the right remarkably reminds me of the "battery low" imagery. And it reminds me of the OLED burn-in syndrome too.

Luckily my unit is working flawless. Bought 4th Q'09 and working fine so far. (just to stray beliefs that it's an all too common issue)

StarG said:
rsuryase said:
Organic really means organic, the dead pixels is spreading like cancerous cells.

Having seen a few of these failed displays: the blob area to the right remarkably reminds me of the "battery low" imagery. And it reminds me of the OLED burn-in syndrome too.

Luckily my unit is working flawless. Bought 4th Q'09 and working fine so far. (just to stray beliefs that it's an all too common issue)
That "blob" is some kind of sticker thing on the back of the screen. I think the screen is de-laminating causing this.

It is not at all like burn-in. With burn-in you see a ghost of a static screen burned in with some colors, or an area that the color shifts to the yellow a bit. No burn-in has these pure black blobs.

Sphinxter said:
Looka lot like contamination during manufacture to me.
No, because many of these screens work fine for months. Then they get the "pixel plague" and die. Plus someone took a picture of the a bad screen outside of the unit. It had some kind of sticker where that rectangular blob is. That indicates that there was slightly more stress there from the sticker adhesive causing it to delaminate a little more there. If they were contaminated from the beginning they would be bad right away and the pattern wouldn't be the same every time and just coincide with the sticker shape in that exact area.

DaveC said:
Sphinxter said:
Looka lot like contamination during manufacture to me.
No, because many of these screens work fine for months. Then they get the "pixel plague" and die. Plus someone took a picture of the a bad screen outside of the unit. It had some kind of sticker where that rectangular blob is. That indicates that there was slightly more stress there from the sticker adhesive causing it to delaminate a little more there. If they were contaminated from the beginning they would be bad right away and the pattern wouldn't be the same every time and just coincide with the sticker shape in that exact area.

Contamination in the lcd manufacturing process will not show right away as it take months to oxidize.

I recently had to send my gp2x wiz to GPH to get the screen replaced (by the way, quick & awesome service!). It had those horrible growing black spots on the screen. I thought it was just me until I found this forum.

My question is this: I love my gp2x, but this seems to be such a common problem, I'm worried about it happening again. Is there anything I can do to prevent it? I'd be happy to buy a protective case if that'll help. Does anyone know what causes this problem?

thanks!
Patrick

I am trying to find out if anyone in UK can help me fix my bricked wiz
I attempted the 1.2.6 firware update and screen now just stays pitch black
tried battery discharge and powering on all day
still a black screen
have heard about a breakout board fix
is there anyone in the UK who can do this and try and get the nand working

I'm having this problem too.
I've tried contacting GPH but the email address listed on their website just bounces. Can anyone suggest a way to contact GPH?

IMG_1351_s.jpg

Back