Success : tv-out cable

Ian J

Advanced Member
This is an old guide that came out before the TinyBoBs made things easier.. but this shows how to make a Composite cable.. Although making an S-Video is just as easy, you just need to match the Y and C outs to the matching pins on the S-Video plug.

http://boards.openpa...440#entry142766
Thank you

Our old CRT Sony TV accepted S-video via scart so I'm going to try it on our current TV, unfortunately the shop I got the bits from to make my composite lead didn't have a Scart plug in stock so that may have to wait a bit.

Can't wait to get building this.

Last edited by a moderator:

vadsamoht

I was going to link my guide here, but TrashMG beat me to it. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

Ian J

Advanced Member
Made up the lead as per the guide on http://dl.openhandhelds.org I'm getting stereo audio (L&R are correct checked with faders on Pandora.

But no video, I've checked composite & S-video and Pal / NTSC but nothing.

Any advice?

Ian J

Advanced Member
Ok it's working now but it turns out the connector on the Pandora is very sensitive, I have to hold the lead up to get video work (which is incredibly blocky) :(

Any way I can increase the output resolutions as it's showing 6## by ### rather than 800x480

Ian J

Advanced Member
Can anyone else confirm if the TV-Out is as blocky as it is on mine, admittedly we have a large(ish) TV but The Wii and my phone both of which I have tried via composite look nowhere near as pixelated as the Pandora.

TrashyMG

Sarcasm Dispenser
Staff member
I haven't tried it with Super Zaxxon. I'll try it when I get home.

Ian J

Advanced Member
Sorted, I updated to SuperZaxxon Beta 5 & the picture quality is a lot better.

As soon as I get my hands on a scart connector I'll try S-video via scart.

spaceharrier

Still Fresh
Good news on the 'official' cables front: Evil Dragon mentioned that he's "concentrating now TV cables" - he posted on 23rd May -

Ian J

Advanced Member
I'm going to get a Scart plug this weekend and make up my 2nd lead, can someone confirm which pins I need to wire to for S-Video.

Ian J

Advanced Member
OK finally got the parts to build a TV-out for Pandora that is S-Video via SCART, I checked and our TV accepts S-Video via SCART socket so there was no issue there.

The image is less than impressive, I wasn't expecting RGB quality but it's hard to tell any difference between s-video and composite.

I'll stick to using composite as it's easier to get the plugs in and out of the TV.

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
I had the opportunity to compare composite vs s-video on the OP, the s-video is far better.

Ian J

Advanced Member
Strange, I'll give it another go & see if changing any settings on the pandora help.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Ian J

Advanced Member
Was it via scart or direct through an s-video connector on the tv?

Our tv doesn't have an s-video connector so I have made up a scart lead with s-video.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2