Suggestion: Weekly YouTube videos

spiralofhope

Website
blog.spiralofhope.com
A regularly-scheduled short video, showing off some little thing, would do wonders for publicity.

Just showing off some tiny thing, talking about a piece of software, introducing a new person or just talking about interesting topics on the forum.. these things would help connect the developers to the public in a way that text and pictures on a forum cannot.

Consider it this way.. YouTube is in a public space where many people are, and this forum much more private.. like it is in someone's home.

A strictly-scheduled ten minute video would completely change the audience interested in the device. Make them minutes maximum and don't bother with "production value". It's about connecting with the public and staying "real".

I understand this takes time (and a skillset) that developers don't really have, but it would be pay off big time.

I think maybe this is something I'll consider doing myself when I have one. I expect to replace my desktop with it (except for desktop games). Making videos is far better than articles to connect with people.

Your aware of what ED's day job is? I think it's safe to say that it's a skillset that he has, although creating underproduced off-the-cuff videos might be harder for him.

And I guess you weren't here then, but when he moved Pandora production to Bavaria, he made this (and 29 more of them):

Maybe these days with more of a burden from his shop that even after he's got the preorders of the Pyra out, one video per week might be more achievable, so good suggestion, yah.

as i've said before, we just need a heavily breathing camera man to stalk ED and upload the videos. no hassle for ED (he still has time to work on the pyras), done.

I remember those old videos. Wow it's been a while.

I think that as the Pyra is about to get into production then a series of videos would help build hype. Right now, "journalists" don't have much to go on unless they do actual journalism.. and that's hard. It's got to be, like, tens of minutes of Googling and reading. Besides, everyday users want to look into things themselves now, and they're just as lazy.

Maybe what I'll think about for myself is a video series of the baby steps I take to learn packaging. That's niche and useful. I'm used to writing tutorials but maybe I should take my own advice!

Nobody has ever seen the OS..
Pretty sure it was Debian...

What do you mean? The Pyra exists, there's already a prototype.
I think he meant weekly Pyra videos... Like saying we should have flying cars... and low and behold it was my idea, I should ge credit for that... now, who is the one going to make the cars? He is lazy, because there is nothing yet. etc... /car-analogy

I'm literally using it right now, with the current kernel used for the Pyra on my OMAP5 devboard... currently running Debian Stretch...

I know that you posted a performance demo in the past on your youtube channel, but it will be really interesting for us all to see a new one, with the latest version of the OS,
Browsing speed and RAM consumption with multiple browser tabs or while playing youtube video on 720p/1080p etc, will be really nice.

If you have any free time for that of course. :)

as i've said before, we just need a heavily breathing camera man to stalk ED and upload the videos.

edtv.jpg

Thinking about this some more..

There can be videos before the Pyra is available, showing just the prototype:

An example keyboard video:

* Show a graphic/render of the keys.
* Show a closeup that pans across.
* Show the actual un-installed keypad.
* Show the prototype. (explain what it is and why it looks that way)
* Talk about the decisions that went into the keymat and key placement choices.
* Show it in use, especially for things like pressing space or holding shift.
* Talk about the shoulder button key mappings. (are they still shift and control? What about the other two?)
* Talk about buttons like DEL or BREAK, which were difficult on the Pandora.
* Show the backlighting in several kinds of light.
* Talk about power usage and automatic dimming settings.

etc etc..

It's even possible to build a community here by talking about topic or script ideas, updates, etc.

Things like this *really* help.

These is also an opportunity for videos on the prototype to be re-done (perhaps more professionally) when a proper production model is created. The lessons learned from the earlier video would make for a fantastic followup to sell the real thing.

Yes, Pyra owners would eventually make these videos, but when the developers make them, it shows their pride and builds the bond between an "independant manufacturer" and its hobbyists. It also gives something easier for journalists to reference.

--

as i've said before, we just need a heavily breathing camera man to stalk ED and upload the videos. no hassle for ED (he still has time to work on the pyras), done.

That'd require some editing, but it would definitely help.

Even videos like "I try to spend a couple of hours doing social media, but when I do seem absent it's because I do have a day job and also still need to work with manufacturers."

Maybe just not ED but people who receive prototype units also? I'm sure when people start getting units videos will pop up. There are some pretty well made Pandora videos, youtube wasn't as big back when the Pandora was release so the Pyra will get more exposure I'm sure.

Yeah I think people won't be as happy with demos of my devboard compared to a Pyra prototype.

I know that you posted a performance demo in the past on your youtube channel, but it will be really interesting for us all to see a new one, with the latest version of the OS,
Browsing speed and RAM consumption with multiple browser tabs or while playing youtube video on 720p/1080p etc, will be really nice.

If you have any free time for that of course. :)

You can boot the pyra OS on a Pandora iirc

...but Pyra OS is just Debian with a set of hardware-specific tweaks.
How does "Pyra OS on a Pandora" differ from "Debian on anything else you can run Debian on"?

AFAIK it doesn't really except a pyra specific repo with Pyra specific software. I was just throwing it out there for the person that said they hadn't seen anything about it.

I've got plans doing small videos but am waiting for the final cases for that.

I had figured those would have arrived last week... Did they ship them from Greece via bike courier or something?

Back