Sales Suntrust thought you guys were fraudulent!

Drack

I live in the US,

I just got off the phone with Suntrust, as they had suspended my Visa Check Card (debit) because of a "suspicious charge from the UK" with a company name "G .. P .. 3? 2??"

This is of course, the Pandora I ordered, and they reactivated the card when I verified the charge. But why would it be GP32 and not GBAX? The amount was wrong too, but it was because the Suntrust rep forgot to say it was in pounds instead of dollars. It showed up right on the bank statement that came yesterday.

GBAX Operates under 'GP32 Distribution' and open pandora operates under open pandora, so who knows?
but yeah, sometimes I think credit card companies are a bit over bearing. before i started ordering stuff on woot and newegg 24/7, whenever i bought a tech item i would have to reverify...

since it's very rare most credit card companies will freeze your card on an international charge, it's totally normal.

PoisonedV said:
GBAX Operates under 'GP32 Distribution' and open pandora operates under open pandora, so who knows?
but yeah, sometimes I think credit card companies are a bit over bearing. before i started ordering stuff on woot and newegg 24/7, whenever i bought a tech item i would have to reverify...

Honestly, I'd rather they be overzealous with my CC then "underzealous". :) It's a lot easier to go through the motions of letting a charge through then it would be to have to go back and deal with a fraudulent charge.

All in all, I'd be quite happy to get the call before then have to call after. :)

P.

phrosty said:
since it's very rare most credit card companies will freeze your card on an international charge, it's totally normal.
Er, no, they don't. It's never happened to me, ever. How would internet shopping work if they did? Maybe the internal US market is large enough so that international charges are uncommon, so maybe that's a practice there.. but not elsewhere for sure.

I couple of people at work have received calls from their card company about fraudelent charges, in both cases they were right to call - their CC numbers had been copied by some hotel or shop they had used, and then someone tried to use a fake card somewhere. It's good that the companies are vigilant, but they don't freeze international charges just as a rule. They seem to have some very clever algorithms for figuring things out though.

That been said, I don't seem to have been charged early enough to get it on my bill of October 9, I hope everything's OK - I should know in a a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed.

Back