Super Famicast

ThndrShk2k

The Awesome Guru
Website
Visit site
What, you might ask, does the DC have to do with GP32 news other than gp32->DC cable games?
Well the author of the NesterGP(RIP) is making a port of SNES9x to the Dreamcast, in since the DreamSNES has long since been update and under covers for their operation
Link: http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43676

The new SNES emulator for the DC will be open source so :D.
Since he programmed NesterGP maybe we can sway him to make a gp32->DC compatability so we can have a source of roms for the GP32 on our Dreamcast ;D

i think he means downloading contend(roms) from dc(internet and/or cs) to the gp
that would be cool!

but isn't the point of GP32 that you can just stick a buttload of roms on the card to begin with, just from your PC?? ah well....

regardless, it would be cool to have a good-speed SNES emu that i could play on the TV (since I don't own a chipped xbox...) - so here's hoping...

but isn't the point of GP32 that you can just stick a buttload of roms on the card to begin with, just from your PC?? ah well....

regardless, it would be cool to have a good-speed SNES emu that i could play on the TV (since I don't own a chipped xbox...) - so here's hoping...
well, you can now do it... With the dreamcast!

Some people put their roms on CDs, and with SNES, they are large files
but with the DC you remove the hassle of booting up the PC, loading a CD in and then using PC link to slowly transfer multiple ones

Not sure how DC->GP32 links works, but i think it's a constant connection, the load times may be the same, but it's fancy and cool... a Msc. usage of the unused GP32->DC cable

plus i want more reason to buy one other than Gaina's Return

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought a USB card reader some months back - it was like 10 bucks (reads CF cards too)

trust me, i have NOT looked back. it's about a hundred thousand times better than using the relatively slow, awkward PC-link. i would go so far as to say it's a must-have if you're using GP32!!

i bought a USB card reader some months back - it was like 10 bucks (reads CF cards too)

trust me, i have NOT looked back. it's about a hundred thousand times better than using the relatively slow, awkward PC-link. i would go so far as to say it's a must-have if you're using GP32!!
i've had one for about 3 week's....there so cool.

Where I live (Dallas, Georgia, USA), Dreamcasts are EXTREMELY cheap. I can pick one up at Blockbuster for less than 30 USD, with a controller.

I recognize that that's an awesome deal, but I'm hesitant to follow through, mainly because I don't know much about the system.

1: How's the game selection (actual DREAMCAST games, not things you find online and burn to a CD)?

2: How's the system? Is it fast (read speed, loading time, etc.)? Reliable?

3: Are components hard to find? As in, controllers, memory cards, etc. How expensive are they?

and 4: I understand emulation is possible. What's emulated so far, and how easy is it to set up the DC to emulate? Also, are there any other programs (i.e. video players, MP3 players, etc.)?

Thanks for your input, folks.

Where I live (Dallas, Georgia, USA), Dreamcasts are EXTREMELY cheap. I can pick one up at Blockbuster for less than 30 USD, with a controller.

I recognize that that's an awesome deal, but I'm hesitant to follow through, mainly because I don't know much about the system.

1: How's the game selection (actual DREAMCAST games, not things you find online and burn to a CD)?

3: Are components hard to find? As in, controllers, memory cards, etc. How expensive are they?

and 4: I understand emulation is possible. What's emulated so far, and how easy is it to set up the DC to emulate? Also, are there any other programs (i.e. video players, MP3 players, etc.)?

1 thing: Your blockbuster still sells DCs? lol

anyway www.dcemulation.com would ebe the right place to ask, but basically:

DC Games are sweet, some earlier ones may look crappy, but hell, Sonic Adventure 2 for it *basically nothing changed from Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle in GFX and otherwise*

The DC is a great system, and even Sega's SonicTeam is releasing PuyoPuyoFeaver*or somthing* for the DC :D

Hopefully Sega will re-continue the DC game stuff, and if commercially they cannot sell games anymore, then maybe they can start an online service for it:D and maybe make another console

Yeah, they had a couple there marked for thirty bucks before Christmas. Which means they're probably gone, but who knows. I'm pretty sure there might be one or two left; they were used, but in good shape, and I figger thirty bones for a next gen system is not a bad deal at all.

Anyway, thanks for the URL and other info, I'll check it out.

Yeah, they had a couple there marked for thirty bucks before Christmas. Which means they're probably gone, but who knows. I'm pretty sure there might be one or two left; they were used, but in good shape, and I figger thirty bones for a next gen system is not a bad deal at all.

Anyway, thanks for the URL and other info, I'll check it out.
Actually the Dreamcast is This Gen system, Next Gen is like XBox2 or PS3 shiz

You know what I mean, dammit.

I'm a bit turned off to buying one, though, after reviewing the newbie section of dcemulation. It seems a bit of a challenge to get things up and running, when it comes to the emu. And you have to pay for media players, which sucks, but I don't doubt there're some free ones about...

Anyway, I guess I wouldn't be a member of the GP32 scene if I weren't up for a challenge. I just wish there was some way for me to have it to fiddle with for a couple of days...

What're some good titles for the system (official ones, that is)? Did they make any good RPGs in the short time it was on the market? How 'bout fighting games? What do you like on the system?

[EDIT] ...dude, you're at your 123rd post. Don't ruin it! Don't reply!

...Yeah, I'm just kidding. Please do. But make a wish. 123's a very lucky number.

:huh:

And you have to pay for media players
Wha!?

anyway all you need is the DreamCast burner program *compiles images, even autoboot ones* in which you can d/l at DCemulation

it's actually not that complicated, the homebrew section has Doom and quake ports, and other such. Quake3 Areana you can buy, and the DC has a couple Street Fighter games, plus it is home to SoulCaliber, in which isnt on the Gamecube

Yeah, the MP3 players and VCD player were both software that you have to buy--at least, that's all I saw on the site. I may be wrong. Probably am.

The original SoulCaliber! And isn't Dead or Alive on there too? ...what with all the...bouncing...and high kicks... (drool)

Dreamsnes doubles up as an mp3 player (if you leave out the roms and just fill the mp3 folder full) and it wasn't too hard to make as an auto-boot...

dunno about the vcd player though...

As for ? 4, it truly isn't hard to setup emus for the DC. I've found two major ways so far: if you find a .sbi file, you can use a program called Self Boot Inducer to setup a disk image. I had to copy the files from the disk image, add roms, and run the second method below to get a bootable CD w/ ROMS on the disk when I tried this method, but my image editing program may have been screwing the file over, before adding roms it burnt and loaded fine.

The second method is for when you download what is marked as "Plain Files" on the DC emu site. You just put the files you want on the CD in a single directory (you do need a few specific files in the main directory, IP.BIN and one other, those should be included with the files you DL, you add roms basically). Then run the program "Selfboot" and it creates a disk image... burn it.

That's it, no mod chips, no messing around. I burnt several CDs before I got mine a couple weeks ago, they all worked fine. Quality of the emus: can't speak for every emu, haven't been using it long enough, but they seem similar to the GP32 scene. SNES is a bit slower than we have as there isn't a frameskip option on DreamSNES, but if the game is played w/o sound it picks up, and IMO, is still playable, but some think its not, matter of opinion. Genesis emu is okay, again in my opinion, but no sound option right now. SMS and NES are both excellent, MAME has a large release I haven't played with much (it seems to be lacking a bit though on newer games, there is a ROM size limit... no metal slug, sry... I had to remap a key on the pad to be able to increase frameskip, that got some games playable that weren't). There is also several single game releases of MAME for a few of my personal favorites, those tend to run better.

Can't speak for cost in your area, but here the availability of controllers, mc, etc is fine, you can get anything you want at reasonable prices (3-8 per item for those).

I haven't tried these yet, but http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/ has some free media players and homebrew games, the earlier listing was pretty much just emus...

hmm you dont have to buy this mp3 player...
there are better ones for free.
Also many other stuff (homebrew) is available.. and still stuff for it coming out.
Emus for:
Gameboy (Dcgnuboy)
NES
and older things are running perfect...
snes speed is perfect without sound on the current releases of dreamSNES...
there are many doom, quake ports and many other games also
much homebrew games which are quite good.
Dont forget the great commercial games like Sonic, Shenmue 1+2 (best game ever) and all the arcade games...
there are also some OSs for this console...
THis console just rocks get one!

Ehh the next dreamcast i am going to buy is a Treamcast's portable Dreamcast, then maybe a original Dreamcast to mod and shit

Back