Release SuperTux2

Man, I was looking for a config file or something. 3D? A 2d scroller? Oh well.
Yeah, it's more and more common to have 2D using 3D hardware, as it can provide function for fast blitting, and so smooth scrolling with many sprites on screen and nice effect (transparencies, rotozoom, etc...) mostly for free (cpu-wise).

Hmm, ok, I get what you're saying. Out of curiosity, what about 3d games makes the pandora hang when closed? Executing code in the gpu and therefore not taking signals the same way? Just wondering.

Hmm, ok, I get what you're saying. Out of curiosity, what about 3d games makes the pandora hang when closed? Executing code in the gpu and therefore not taking signals the same way? Just wondering.
When you close the lid, a signal is send to software to go in pause and the hardware is more or less shut down.
When you reopen everything is restarted but the GPU context is lost on the software side and should be recreated before using it again. That part is missing...

Last edited:
Ah, I guess that depends on the setting of your lid closed setting. IIRC I have mine set to do nothing, as I found the low power mode interfered with music playback when using it as a portable, so perhaps that explains why I've not had a problem with this.

Yes, of course my explanition was only for the default settings on lid (suspend to ram IIRC). I have put "none" also on my pandora.

Even with none, the display locks up on closing/opening with some driver versions. The old default was fine and 4.10 is fine, too, in my experience. The current default does hang (for me, YMMV).

Tried it without power saving and get the same hang. SuperZaxxon 1.73. I wanted to see if the lid setting was being written or had a higher level override config somewhere. I found pandora/appdata/op_lidsettings but it is empty. There as a hidden directory .wh..wh.plnk but sudo cd for that tells me cd is not a command. I'll keep looking but for now I need to find out why my touch screen just stopped working.

Hey my kids and I love the SuperTux games. Are there any thoughts to doing the SuperTux2 level editor too?

Hi all !

@Loic2003 : thank you very much for updating your package :)

Unfortunately it fails to start with the following error message:
[FATAL] /media/SEBEXT/sources/Sources_PANDOSEB/git/supertux/src/supertux/main
.cpp:536 Unexpected exception: boost::filesystem::canonical: No such file or
directory: "/mnt/utmp/SuperTux2/share/games/supertux2"

Could you please have a look ?

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1526153353,1526152025][/doublepost]Hi again !

After adding a "share/games/supertux2" sub-tree to the appdata directory, the game managed to boot a little further, but eventually crashed again with:
[FATAL] /media/SEBEXT/sources/Sources_PANDOSEB/git/supertux/src/supertux/main
.cpp:536 Unexpected exception: Couldn't open 'images/engine/icons/supertux-25
6x256.png': 11
The path is indeed wrong: that PNG file is in data/images/engine/icons/ :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1526154914][/doublepost]Hi again ;)

Exporting SUPERTUX2_DATA_DIR to "$pwd/data" in your runscript solved the issue :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi all :)

@Loic2003 : I just reached the end of the icy world (Castle of Nolox). That level is not playable at all because of a weird graphical glitch. I'll try to provide you with some screenshots and / or a saved game, so that you may reproduce that issue on your end.

There are several other issues with this build, but more on that later :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1526229992,1526229273][/doublepost]Hi again !

I'm attaching a saved game to this post. I hope that helps :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Attachments

• profile1_magicsam.tar.gz
    1.6 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Hi all !

@Loic2003 : thank you very much for updating your package :)

Unfortunately it fails to start with the following error message:

Could you please have a look ?

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1526153353,1526152025][/doublepost]Hi again !

After adding a "share/games/supertux2" sub-tree to the appdata directory, the game managed to boot a little further, but eventually crashed again with:

The path is indeed wrong: that PNG file is in data/images/engine/icons/ :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1526154914][/doublepost]Hi again ;)

Exporting SUPERTUX2_DATA_DIR to "$pwd/data" in your runscript solved the issue :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
Oops... Sorry.

It should be fixed with the new version.

v0.5.1-415-g035128fee: build 04:
--------------------------------------------
  • Fixed a bug that made the game crash at startup.

Hi @Loic2003 !

Thanks for patching your package so quickly :) I'll give this new version a try ASAP !

Another issue I found is that set options are lost upon restart...

I believe the root cause to be:
[INFO] /media/SEBEXT/sources/Sources_PANDOSEB/git/supertux/src/supertux/main.
cpp:262 Moved old config dir /mnt/utmp/SuperTux2/home/.supertux2 to /mnt/utmp
/SuperTux2/home/supertux2/

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1526236865,1526234373][/doublepost]Hi,

Exporting SUPERTUX2_USER_DIR to "$HOME/.supertux2" does help a little, but then:
[INFO] /media/SEBEXT/sources/Sources_PANDOSEB/git/supertux/src/supertux/main.
cpp:83 Couldn't load config file: Couldn't open file 'config': 11, using default settings

I tried changing this file permissions from 0600 to something more liberal, but to no avail :( Everytime I restart the game, that good old config file is back...

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi all :)

@Loic2003 : I just reached the end of the icy world (Castle of Nolox). That level is not playable at all because of a weird graphical glitch. I'll try to provide you with some screenshots and / or a saved game, so that you may reproduce that issue on your end.

There are several other issues with this build, but more on that later :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1526229992,1526229273][/doublepost]Hi again !

I'm attaching a saved game to this post. I hope that helps :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
That is weird...
I can reproduce this issue, but I will need to take traces. I'll work with @ptitSeb to do so...

Hi @Loic2003 !

Thanks for patching your package so quickly :) I'll give this new version a try ASAP !

Another issue I found is that set options are lost upon restart...

I believe the root cause to be:

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1526236865,1526234373][/doublepost]Hi,

Exporting SUPERTUX2_USER_DIR to "$HOME/.supertux2" does help a little, but then:

I tried changing this file permissions from 0600 to something more liberal, but to no avail :( Everytime I restart the game, that good old config file is back...

Cheers, Magic Sam
I'll fix that ASAP!

Hi again,

@Loic2003 : your new package still doesn't work ;)

If I understand correctly, you moved the data to /mnt/utmp/SuperTux2/share/games/supertux2, but you forgot to update your runscript accordingly:
if [[ ! -d "$pwd/data" ]]
then
echo "No datas in $pwd!"
exit 1
fi

You also have 2 identical copies of the binary now, one in games and the other at the root of your package...

Cheers, Magic Sam

v0.5.1-415-g035128fee: build 04:
--------------------------------------------
  • Should now save configs.
[doublepost=1526276488,1526276229][/doublepost]
Hi again,

@Loic2003 : your new package still doesn't work ;)

If I understand correctly, you moved the data to /mnt/utmp/SuperTux2/share/games/supertux2, but you forgot to update your runscript accordingly:
Code:
if [[ ! -d "$pwd/data" ]]
then
echo "No datas in $pwd!"
exit 1
fi

You also have 2 identical copies of the binary now, one in games and the other at the root of your package...

Cheers, Magic Sam
Be sure to remove your version of the runscript... I made the quoted code comments.
I indeed made a mistake for the binaries, but this is not a major issue. This will be fixed with the next build.

Last edited:
Hi all,

@Loic2003 : I confirm your latest version works like a charm :) Thank you !

Another issue I found: the game slows down quite a lot (~30 FPS -> 20 FPS) when there's a specific texture involved... If I'm not mistaken, its images/tiles/snow/background2.png.

IIRC, that file is an 8 bits RGBA 256x96 PNG. I wonder whether the transparency and / or the NPOT texture size has something to do with it...

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back