SuperZaxxon v1.54 RC released

One "bug" (maybe?) in the last RC - After playing a game, when coming back to the OS the settings menu did not have any of the Pandora specific settings items and only had a "desktop" one leading to the xfce settings. 

A reboot fixed that but there may be something wrong somewhere causing that...

Is there any way to have the charge LED light up as soon as it turns on after having a mini-USB cable/AC Adapter plugged into it?

Issue, maybe not new, but I noticed it only now:

The default TV-Out profile "Composite PAL (Main)"  selects, when activated, S-Video and not Composite mode.
In the TV Out Settings?

Not here, hasn't changed (and nothing has changed there as well)

Also, the TV-Out settings "PAL Main Layer" (and possibly others, not tested) in the Configbutton applet uses S-Video and not Composite.

I don't know, if that's intended. I assume Composite cables and TVs will be more common than S-Video ones, so maybe the default should be changed to Composite mode here.
That's probably intended by the author of Configbutton, as TV Out has a WAY better signal with S-Video and it's recommended to use it.

Also, it doesn't make much sense to have PAL and NTCS settings in parallel in the configbutton applet, as most users will most probably only use PAL or NTSC, but not change between both. Would be great, if the user could choose, if he wants to use PAL or NTCS settings in there, or even better: Mirror the TV-Out Configuration dialog's profiles in the configbutton applet instead of giving the applet own presets.
That's something the author of Configbutton has to decide, we only pull it in :)

Issue, maybe not new, but I noticed it only now:

The default TV-Out profile "Composite PAL (Main)" selects, when activated, S-Video and not Composite mode.
In the TV Out Settings?

Not here, hasn't changed (and nothing has changed there as well)
Okay, scratch that. I couldn't reproduce it on a fresh 1.54RC install either. No idea what happened when I saw that issue.
Also, the TV-Out settings "PAL Main Layer" (and possibly others, not tested) in the Configbutton applet uses S-Video and not Composite.

I don't know, if that's intended. I assume Composite cables and TVs will be more common than S-Video ones, so maybe the default should be changed to Composite mode here.
That's probably intended by the author of Configbutton, as TV Out has a WAY better signal with S-Video and it's recommended to use it.
In theory it may be better, but e.g. on my 1998 Sony tube TV, Composite is much better, because S-Video causes the TV to display much too intensive colors, especially red. No quality problem at all with Composite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggestion:

What about adding gpicview to the official firmware?

A picture viewer, that's also available via command line easily (unlike a PND, starting that from the command line is always clumsy) can be very helpful sometimes, and it's relatively small.

Charge led seems fixed with the new 6.5 kernel.

I just had a fast (1/10 second) on to off with a usb charge, but all other tries worked.

Power led brightness was fixed with a*the previous full flash.

Suggestion:

A picture viewer, that's also available via command line easily (unlike a PND, starting that from the command line is always clumsy) can be very helpful sometimes, and it's relatively small.
We can add anything that is small and useful, but someone needs to create an OE recipe for that.

I'm happy for anyone who can help :)

If someone would update the QT recipes so we could include PNDManager instead of PNDStore, that would also rock :)

Also, it doesn't make much sense to have PAL and NTCS settings in parallel in the configbutton applet, as most users will most probably only use PAL or NTSC, but not change between both. Would be great, if the user could choose, if he wants to use PAL or NTCS settings in there, or even better: Mirror the TV-Out Configuration dialog's profiles in the configbutton applet instead of giving the applet own presets.
That's something the author of Configbutton has to decide, we only pull it in :)
While not the autjor, I did try and tie these together - My C-fu was a little weak and I didn't quite get it working, I know I can, but haven't had chance to go and make the changes (Code is on main PC - I don't get near it atm...)

We can add anything that is small and useful, but someone needs to create an OE recipe for that.

If someone would update the QT recipes so we could include PNDManager instead of PNDStore, that would also rock :)
If I am not mistaken, a compatible package is already available in the feeds. Do you then still need a receipe?

However, I don't understand all that receipe stuff yet. If I have the normal source tarball of some software, what do I have to do to create an "OE receipe"?

Isn't all that is needed most of the times that ./configure && make && make install, sometimes with some code or configure option tweaks?

What actually _is_ a receipe?

It would be great, if you could point me to some ressource that enlightens me. If there is one, would be great if it was a Pandora-specific tutorial or something like that.

Suggestion:

Ristretto is in firmware, and it can view images just fine. A default firmware install, go to SD, double click (in xfce) on a png, and it'll pop up and show..

jeff

I think that there should be a menu item added to the desktop's right click menu that states "Sort by" and has the sub items of "Name", "Size", "Item type", and "Date modified" (like how Windows has it).

Ristretto is in firmware, and it can view images just fine. A default firmware install, go to SD, double click (in xfce) on a png, and it'll pop up and show..
Oh I see. Thanks!

I am more a console guy than a doubleclick guy, but even that's covered by ristretto. For some reason I always thought ristretto was a PND.

Problem solved.

In theory it may be better, but e.g. on my 1998 Sony tube TV, Composite is much better, because S-Video causes the TV to display much too intensive colors, especially red. No quality problem at all with Composite.
Afaik, it shouldn't behave like that. It should just use what you last set in the setting dialog, that's what I've observed anyway.

The parallell options for NTSC and PAL is because I wasn't aware of a way to make it select the option from the profile you last used. Feel free to modify the TV-out plugin to behave more logically: https://github.com/slaeshjag/pandora-configbutton/blob/master/plugin/tvout.c

Fixing it shouldn't be rocket surgery, it's mainly just calling external scripts :p

Do a pull request on githib if anyone fixes it.

Oh I see. Thanks!

I am more a console guy than a doubleclick guy, but even that's covered by ristretto. For some reason I always thought ristretto was a PND.

Problem solved.
The default configuration of Ristretto is not good for Pandora.

I suggest changing the default configuration:

- Show thumbnails vertically instead of horizontally

- Disable toolbar

- maximize window on start (that one is not available in the options, don't know how to automate that. The other options are saved in the configuration file of ristretto)

Otherwise there is only very little vertical space to display images, and much space on the sides is unused.

Navigating though images is easily done with keyboard using PgUp/PgDn (Y and X buttons)

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to zoom using the keyboard (or I haven't found it yet).

I have not read all 7 pages. The update tool says /etc/silm.conf and /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf are modified and it puts the new files next to them. But after these messages it does not go further, it just stalls :/

*edit*

I had to start the update tool again, then it finished the last 3 packages.

Just upgraded and my problem with PNDStore not launching is fixed. Thanks team!

I do notice:

- shutting down the Pandora from XFCE4 results in a reboot everytime.

- starting wifi from within minimenu does enable the wifi modem (and led) but does not proivide a working networking connection. I remember I have this problem from the beginning.

- MM Wifi edit cannot be shutdown using the 'close' button when started from minimenu with wifi disabled, it hangs with a black screen and mouse pointer and does not respond to anything except a hardware reboot.

Just upgraded and my problem with PNDStore not launching is fixed. Thanks team!

I do notice:

- shutting down the Pandora from XFCE4 results in a reboot everytime.
Shutting down the Pandora from xfce works ok for me...   One thing that comes to mind though is that if you shut down while charging it will immediately reboot as the unit has to be on in order to charge, so if you want to shut down remember to disconnect the charger first.

- Neelix

The shutdown is ok here, too.

Maybe the battery is in a bad position but it's pretty unlikely if your Pandora runs fine during normal usage (no random reboot).

I have to apologise. The reboot after shutdown problem is indeed only the case when the charger is connected. A long recognised standard behavior. Sorry for the noise.

Back