SuperZaxxon v1.62RC released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
SuperZaxxon v1.62 has just been released - thanks a lot to notaz for upgrading to a more recent glib library, no easy task (as there were a lot of dependencies.

Note: if you are going to install the update through "Upgrade Pandora OS", you need to make sure to run the update to completion. If the update fails for some reason, like Internet connection problems, please run the update again and let if finish. After it successfully finishes (but not earlier), you need to reboot as the system may be unstable until restart due to updated libs.

This update also reinstalls the SGX driver. If you are using other than default SGX driver (like 4.10), please install it again after the update.

A bit has changed, here are the updates from v1.61:

• UPDATE:several system libraries have been updated: glib and gtk2 to latest version, several others to newer versions that are compatible with latest gtk. This may break some PNDs (mostly because of glib ABI changes, those PNDs will have to be recompiled), but will allow ports of new software.
  • CHANGE: changed default SGX driver to 4.03.00.02 for 1GHz units, for others it stays the same as before.
  • UPDATE: networkmanager: some tweaks to make it connect faster
  • UPDATE: bash: updated to 3.2.57 (bug and shellshock fixes)
  • UPDATE: xserver-xorg: updated to 1.7.7 (from 1.7.4), makes BT keyboard crash less, but the problem is still there
  • some other minor fixes
  • NEW: Kernel: new wifi stick drivers: MT7601U and RTL8192EU
  • NEW: Kernel: new driver for the SoC temperature sensor
  • NEW: Kernel: lots of new media drivers from 3.16 media compatibility layer (adds support for many more webcams and USB TV tuners)
  • UPDATE: Kernel: updated to stable 3.2.63 release
  • NEW: Kernel: added texture streaming module to all SGX drivers
  • Kernel: minor tweaks (GPT support, added logging of missing firmware and segfaults, etc).
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.5x or newer):

Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS"-Version (PLEASE READ NOTE ABOVE!)

Please note:

User-Modified configs will not not be overwritten with the new version.

Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.

It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.62RC

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.

Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry.

Please let us know any issues you encounter.

That's very nice! Thanks a lot to Notaz for the hard work on updating this!

So now, I have codeblocks to update...

Breaks my favorite browser, jumanji. Looks like one of those programs that needs to be recompiled for this update of SZ. Other than that, everything seems to work fine for me so far. Like the new theme.

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/ROOT/pandora/menu/jumanji-80A3FEF9.zLouD.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : //pandora/appdata/jumanji

APPDD_FSTYPE : rootfs ext3

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : run.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/jumanji"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="//pandora/appdata/jumanji=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/jumanji=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/jumanji"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ----------

using latest libs!

zenity: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_atomic_int_dec_and_test

info dialog; bam! all this information..

attempt to start jumanji!

(jumanji.bin:2772): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_notebook_get_current_page: assertion `GTK_IS_NOTEBOOK (notebook)' failed

./jumanji.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2: undefined symbol: g_mutex_lock

jumanji crashed!; retval = 1

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

zenity: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_atomic_int_dec_and_test

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/jumanji': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 5

Last edited by a moderator:
I have small issue with this release. For some reason thunar-volman does not seems to be part of installation (i used full flash method).

Edit: It was not even in older version. Never mind :]

But many things stop working with new version. PPSSPP, Quake, Daikatana, Jedi Knight etc.. Where i can find some logs?

Upgrade Pandora OS went smooth on my Ghz unit.

I also started upgrading my GC Pandora. It went okay until it displayed an unicode message I could not read with 'resource missing' title. Then keyboard stopped responding so I had to reset. Now it stops at please login screen & keyboard not working. Is it another ncurses failure? I'm going to reflash from SD.

update: full flash worked fine. I'm going to flash an older release and try to do the pandora os upgrade form the menu to see if it fails again.

update2: update from 1.61 was okay. seems my GC setup was broken.

over.

Oh. Now there will be lots of work updating all my apps.

But many things stop working with new version. PPSSPP, Quake, Daikatana, Jedi Knight etc.. Where i can find some logs?
Looks like I'll have work to do!
Hmm Diakatana, The Babylon Project do seem to have an issue, but Jedi Knight II/III, Return of Castle Wolfenstien, Freespace1/2, Yamagi Quake 2 and NPRQuake still works for me.

EDIT: Just quickly running through a bunch of PNDs I have on my 1Ghz, some other games I've been having trouble with is Homeworld, Project X: Forsaken, GFMTSERFGJ and Super Geometry Dust.. 

EDIT2: Homeworld, GFMTSERFGJ, Super Geometry Dust and Project X works just didn't like the 4.10 SGX driver

/tmp/pndrun_*At least PPSSPP and Jedi Knight II demo works here, sounds like something happened to your 3D driver, have you tried rebooting?

Daikatana does segfault here, but it comes with a million libs, probably some of them conflict and need recompile..

notaz's Live System Info also stops working.
Works for me, what's in the logs?
I've found one issue myself - if you select "Save session for future logins" on xfce logout, Xfce may no longer start on next boot.. In that case Applications/Cache/ needs to be deleted and it starts again, but still, this has to be properly fixed.

Yep, I tryed Jedi Knight II and found no issue.

I confirm Daikatana segfault, with some glibc mem corruption, so I will try to check again the libs...

I will probably try all my pnd against the new firmware and keep a list of pnd that break and need to be updated.

/tmp/pndrun_*
At least PPSSPP and Jedi Knight II demo works here, sounds like something happened to your 3D driver, have you tried rebooting?

Daikatana does segfault here, but it comes with a million libs, probably some of them conflict and need recompile..

notaz's Live System Info also stops working.
Works for me, what's in the logs?

PND             : /media/ROOT/pandora/menu/package.liveinfo.notaz.pnd

PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs

APPDATADIR      : //pandora/appdata/liveinfo

APPDD_FSTYPE    : rootfs ext3

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME         : run.sh

ARGUMENTS       : <unset>

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/liveinfo"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="//pandora/appdata/liveinfo=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/liveinfo=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/liveinfo"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run.sh  ) ----------

layer: 720 32 80 448

ioctl OMAPFB_SETUP_PLANE (e1): Invalid argument

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( run.sh  ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/liveinfo': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

FWIW, I didn't get round to rebooting for a day or so after upgrading to Notaz's latest and my system was perfectly stable, although I didn't start any more GTK apps in the interim.  Still a good idea to reboot as soon as possible, but if you've got something running already that you want to run to completion, there should be little risk in letting it.

Also, touch wood but it seems I don't have the problem of USB host becoming un-enableable after a few cycles since upgrading.

I'm slightly surprised this release didn't warrant a 1.70 moniker, being so many packages were changed, and a few ABIs were broken.

Please note:
User-Modified configs will not not be overwritten with the new version.
baby+2.jpg

I've found one issue myself - if you select "Save session for future logins" on xfce logout, Xfce may no longer start on next boot.. In that case Applications/Cache/ needs to be deleted and it starts again, but still, this has to be properly fixed.
I think I've fixed this one.

Do you have TV-out enabled? It can't work with TV-out since TV-out is using the same layer.

Back