Update SuperZaxxon v1.74

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
This is another maintenance/bugfix release.

• kernel: updated to 3.2.78
  • kernel: the vsync code has been rewritten: multiple programs can now wait for vsync, it now works correctly when LCD is off and TV-out is on
  • kernel: added a new custom adaptive vsync ioctl
  • kernel: added a new custom ioctl to read the line counter
  • kernel: changed the LCD timings to reduce the VFP<->vsync window. Possibly reduced flicker in 50Hz mode too.
  • kernel: enabled the xpad (xbox/xinput compatible gamepad) driver (no idea why it was off...)
  • kernel: it's now possible to map memory at virtual address 0 (might be useful for some emulators)
  • kernel: fixed a SD card read corruption (reported by dgame)
  • kernel: the default SGX driver should no longer crash when display is turned off (usually when lid is closed) and 3D program is running
  • SDL: now uses the new adaptive vsync when SDL_OMAP_VSYNC is enabled
  • bluez: /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf defaults changed to enable the socket API. Note that this disables the dbus API, so you may need to edit the file if you need it. See http://www.lightofdawn.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00031 for more info.
  • fixed bluetooth suspend (patch by urjaman)

It all started when TomB contacted me about issues with vsync that he has been having (it's hard to do vsync when pandora is barely fast enough for the game without trashing performance) and I realized I often have trouble with that too. So I've thought of and implemented some kernel hacks to deal with it, after that collected some other fixes and here is the update.

(note: this is the same release from the testing thread, now promoted to proper release)

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.5x or newer):
Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS" option

Please note:
  • If you are updating from v1.61 or lower, it is highly recommended to do a full reflash because many system libraries have been changed in 1.70 and some users reported failures updating from v1.61 or earlier. Updating from 1.70 should be completely safe.
  • Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.
  • User-Modified configs will not be overwritten with the new version.
It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon v1.74

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.
Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"
It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

Please note: When reflashing from v1.72 or earlier, some SD cards might not be detected ("Boot from SD1" will not appear). You will need to find another SD card, usually older ones work.

Edit: link changed to SuperZaxxon174u1.zip , which has the flasher kernel updated to 3.2.78 too to avoid SD read issues on some units. The OS that is flashed itself was not changed.

Last edited:
Could you provide a package of the bootloader update from 1.73? IIRC that includes a new kernel and modules, so it'll be slightly different for this release, and anyone who stuck with 1.72 longer than they should have (me included) who wants to update rather than reflash would otherwise need to do what I did, which was install 1.73 first then update to this, if they want the support for more SD cards you introduced there.

Thank you Notaz, you rock!

Does it mean that Amiga emulation has been improved thanks to the new 50hz vsync?

Could you provide a package of the bootloader update from 1.73? IIRC that includes a new kernel and modules, so it'll be slightly different for this release, and anyone who stuck with 1.72 longer than they should have (me included) who wants to update rather than reflash would otherwise need to do what I did, which was install 1.73 first then update to this, if they want the support for more SD cards you introduced there.
You can run the non-reflash update first and then update the bootloader using reflash files with rootfs.* deleted to keep you rootfs. The former will give you the kernel and modules, so the reflash won't touch them (since they're already latest) and will only update the bootloader.

Last edited:
Okay, so if we do an OS update from the menu first, then make a SD partition with installer files for 1.74 but omitting anything beginning 'rootfs.', and boot from that and that will only touch the bootloader files and leave your kernel etc. and rest of rootfs alone. Neat!

@notaz
Hi..
..I updated few Days ago and somehow did my Qemu Experiments with
"omapdss" disabled my TV Out Port and reactivating/Restart dont fix this.
Even a Pull Out of the Battery did not solve that.

But when i start an Application who use Omapdss(example my Qemu Experiments)
and close it then i have TV Out working back temporary until next reboot..and then Black Screen again.

Do you recommend a new FullFlash?
Or do you need some Files from me for Analysing?

Edit:
Solved...work again here..sorry for my bothering :D

And thx for the wonderfull internal Wlan Speedboost here ;)

Last edited:
The TV Out Settings seem to be permanently saved when the System shutdown and poweroff without plugged Power Cord.

With plugged Power Cable and shutdown/direct restart seem my Settings are not realy saved.

I tried many Times a Hard Reset with the Pandora Button+Power and that did my TV Out Settings not saved too then.

And maybe it helped a little here that i had played with the TV Out Size and pressed serveral Time save.

When i encounter that again i will Report here with the right Solution
for more Testings/Rebuilding that Error and maybe for Fixes :)

omapdss seem to be a bit only unstable sometimes when closing the Window..
..in that Video work it again fine :D

Omapdss give this older/recompiled Qemu Version a very feelable Speedboost ;)

Seems like the WiFi in this version has much bigger speed swings 900kps - 90, than in previous versions.

notaz you made my day. Installed via OS upgrade and now the cp210x.ko is installed and
works in SZ. I am happy !!! There is a little but - in Slackware I use kernel 3.2.67 (last) and the module from SZ is not working (no dev/ttyUSB0). Can you supply this module for version 3.2.67 as most time I am using Slackware. That would be great !

There is a little but - in Slackware I use kernel 3.2.67 (last) and the module from SZ is not working (no dev/ttyUSB0). Can you supply this module for version 3.2.67 as most time I am using Slackware. That would be great !
It can be done but requires effort (finding the old commit and going back in git history). Can't you just copy your kernel and modules from SZ to Slackware? You just need /boot/uImage-3 and /lib/modules/3.2.78 .
[doublepost=1458669327,1458667414][/doublepost]
Seems like the WiFi in this version has much bigger speed swings 900kps - 90, than in previous versions.
Is this good or bad? Others seem to report improvements, which is strange since I haven't changed that area since 1.72.

It can be done but requires effort (finding the old commit and going back in git history). Can't you just copy your kernel and modules from SZ to Slackware? You just need /boot/uImage-3 and /lib/modules/3.2.78 .
[doublepost=1458669327,1458667414][/doublepost]
Is this good or bad? Others seem to report improvements, which is strange since I haven't changed that area since 1.72.

I mention it because it seems less stable than before. Maybe my cable internet is just having some issues. I'll keep an eye on it.

Disregard my last.

I tethered my Pandora to my cellphone and had nice sustained, stable downloads with little to no bouncing (600kbps - 500kbps). So the issue must be my shitty cable internet. I have no idea why it runs up to around 900kbps on my Pandora, will drop to around 600, bounce around there then fall to 70ish, stay there for a while, then jump back up.

The really strange thing is that I don't have this problem on my desktop using the same internet and wireless connection. That has nice consistent download speeds.

Off topic but any ideas what could be doing this?

Last edited:
Off topic but any ideas what could be doing this?
Most likely interference from busy channel (used by people near you) or neighbor channels. I've noticed the wifi chip really hates when others use the same frequencies, even when other transmitters are quite far away.

Back