System Upgrades

AdonusX

Still Fresh
I read that there are higher powered dual core processors of the same type that GP2X has... is it possible to upgrade the processor? or for that matter, the ram or onboard drive space from the defaults?

Adonus Prime said:
I read that there are higher powered dual core processors of the same type that GP2X has... is it possible to upgrade the processor? or for that matter, the ram or onboard drive space from the defaults?
Not in the way you're thinking, the components can't be swapped out like a PC's. Theoretically, someone highly skilled in electronics could do all of what you're describing, but the resulting machine probably wouldn't be compatible with existing software.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I guess I will have to enjoy all of I can of the GP2X (as soon as it gets here, since I just recently...finally bought it) until a sequel comes out... and I REALLY hope a sequel hits the market... I really hated that the XGP died... as it was easily more featureful than PSP (regular and slim versions)

saehn said:
Adonus Prime said:
Not in the way you're thinking, the components can't be swapped out like a PC's. Theoretically, someone highly skilled in electronics could do all of what you're describing, but the resulting machine probably wouldn't be compatible with existing software.

Why would it not be compatible, it would still be the same ARM architecture...

If all you can think of is the 'sequel', why did you buy the current version? You didn't even get it, and already you want something else.

name='Anhaedra' date='Jun 15 2007, 07:58 AM' post='534560']Not in the way you're thinking, the components can't be swapped out like a PC's. Theoretically, someone highly skilled in electronics could do all of what you're describing, but the resulting machine probably wouldn't be compatible with existing software.

Well, I did say probably :) ...and my thought was that if the processor changed, then the instruction set might change as well. The point is that he can't upgrade his GP2X in the way he imagined.

saehn said:
Anhaedra said:

Well, I did say probably :) ...and my thought was that if the processor changed, then the instruction set might change as well. The point is that he can't upgrade his GP2X in the way he imagined.
[/quote]

And even if he did, it would have horrible battery life!

You cannot simply replace the processor. The GP2X uses a system-on-a-chip, so you would need to replace that. Now, I'm not sure if there are higher-clock MMSP2s, but if there aren't, then you'll have to use a different chip. Chances are that GP2X Linux would not be compatible without significant modification.

Back