Tegra K1

I don't think dual boot is that difficult, it's like running grub on a PC. A clever scripter could do it with an open source bootloader like uboot and a few extra partitions. The difficulty is when you start talking about the shared kernel and file systems. Ubuntu for android is running as a parallel process in the background. More of a hypervisor with the two OS's interacting with each other.

The android version we have on the pandora is close to that with it's chroot, but linux is still the man in charge.

I would like to see a hypervisor with both OS's having the same priority for drivers and cpu time etc using virtualization, but I seriously doubt that will happen unless for some reason this "greenhills integrity" is contracted out to do the work. It may or may not be opensource so the possibility of "fat chance" is quite high.

http://www.ti.com/tool/omap5432-evm-eval-sw

http://www.ghs.com/billboards/embedded_ti_omap5.html

it would be nice to see a dual boot, but to be frankly honest I am pretty confident at this point that nobody is going to pick up the project and ED still remains completely mum on the subject aside for providing support for the individual that wants to do the port if someone were to come out of the woodwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get what you guys are arguing about. At most, tegra k1 can run some obscure bad 3d intensive game that looks a bit better than that on an omap5 soc. 

It's not the kind of either or situation. It's more like having something at the cost of other specs sort of deal. Even if ED can source a few thousands of Tegra K1, using that means we are to lose most of our backwards competibility and halves our battery life on normal usage just to improve some apps you are not going to even run everyday. I don't see how that's a fair trade.
 In all fairness, SNESFAN's point was mainly that it would make porting easier for many OpenGL applications and games, because of the versions of OpenGL and OpenGLES it supported, which is much more of a valid argument than "it makes some 3D intensive game look a bit better".

Or or or Dolphin Emulator for Gamecube and Wii ;)
Really? Exophase already pointed out the fact that it was unlikely you would even get the speeds you wanted for Gamecube emulation, and now you are suggesting we would have Wii emulation that was even playable enough to matter? Please stop... -_-

-God Ginrai

Really? Exophase already pointed out the fact that it was unlikely you would even get the speeds you wanted for Gamecube emulation, and now you are suggesting we would have Wii emulation that was even playable enough to matter? Please stop... -_-

-God Ginrai
GameCube and Wii have basically the same hardware, so in terms of emulation, it's not a big difference (AFAIK)

I don't get what you guys are arguing about. At most, tegra k1 can run some obscure bad 3d intensive game that looks a bit better than that on an omap5 soc. It's not the kind of either or situation. It's more like having something at the cost of other specs sort of deal. Even if ED can source a few thousands of Tegra K1, using that means we are to lose most of our backwards competibility and halves our battery life on normal usage just to improve some apps you are not going to even run everyday. I don't see how that's a fair trade.
 In all fairness, SNESFAN's point was mainly that it would make porting easier for many OpenGL applications and games, because of the versions of OpenGL and OpenGLES it supported, which is much more of a valid argument than "it makes some 3D intensive game look a bit better". 
Really? Exophase already pointed out the fact that it was unlikely you would even get the speeds you wanted for Gamecube emulation, and now you are suggesting we would have Wii emulation that was even playable enough to matter? Please stop... -_- -God Ginrai
Gawd why does eberyone always assume Im being serious. Im fully aware of the requirements for Dolphin. Im on the dolphin foruns almost daily as well as rhe IRC.

GameCube and Wii have basically the same hardware, so in terms of emulation, it's not a big difference (AFAIK)
Don't forget you have to emulate the tape as well. ;)

gamecubes+duct+taped+together.jpg

-God Ginrai
The Wii hardware is a more powerful version of the same hardware used in the Gamecube, which means that we would need Gamecube emulation up to a certain standard before Wii emulation was possible.

-God Ginrai

There's been lots of talk (I made several threads on it) but its just not possible or at least not easy. Canonical has done it successfully with Ubuntu for Android but they never released the code :/
You mean Ubuntu's spin/fork of the LinuxOnAndroid Project, which had an Indiegogo run to do what Canonical played up with their Indiegogo but if you read the fine print weren't going to have available until months after launch of the Edge due to probably relying on the LinuxOnAndroid Project?  Sourceforge here.

Why would you ask Canonical?  They specialize in repackaging, not original code.  Their distro is Debian Unstable repackaged and the list goes on for most of their flagship stuff.  Asking them about that is like asking Best Buy to handle board design.

There's been lots of talk (I made several threads on it) but its just not possible or at least not easy. Canonical has done it successfully with Ubuntu for Android but they never released the code :/
You mean Ubuntu's spin/fork of the LinuxOnAndroid Project, which had an Indiegogo run to do what Canonical played up with their Indiegogo but if you read the fine print weren't going to have available until months after launch of the Edge due to probably relying on the LinuxOnAndroid Project?  Sourceforge here. Why would you ask Canonical?  They specialize in repackaging, not original code.  Their distro is Debian Unstable repackaged and the list goes on for most of their flagship stuff.  Asking them about that is like asking Best Buy to handle board design.
Not exactly the same thing though. they managed to mesh a lot of the android and ubuntu code ina very nice way that LinuxOnAndroid does not even come close to.

@jebe- chrooted linux on android is not a good solution to running both in parallel like canonical was showing off with ubuntu for android. Just as chrooted android on linux isn't a good solution either.

You may not believe so, but to me, it looked to be completely original with nothing else like it in the mobile realm that I'm aware of right now. Nothing at that level anyway. Not a ton of information was given as to how it was technically accomplished which is a shame. The only thing I can think of is by hypervisor and virtualization.

That link I gave earlier with the hypervisor or "multivisor" as they are calling it, appears to be our best chance of something extremely similar and it's designed for use on omap 5. They provide consulting and support, they may even be a "turnkey solution" and you just throw hardware and money at them and they give you a ready for market product.

also canonical's ubuntu phone OS looks pretty original and not just frankenstein'ed projects repackaged.

Why would you ask Canonical?  They specialize in repackaging, not original code.  Their distro is Debian Unstable repackaged and the list goes on for most of their flagship stuff.  Asking them about that is like asking Best Buy to handle board design.
Hey, hey, hey. They have a lot of original code. ...It just ruins what could have been a nice Debian Unstable repackaged.

-God Ginrai

Where is nvidias official kernel source code for Linux on the Tegra4?
I believe it has been merged into mainline

edit:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/arch/arm/mach-tegra

tegra 4 = tegra114
That is good and all, but only if they would sell their SoCs to people like ED.
Like I said before, I'm not questioning the logic behind the decision on the SoC that was chosen. I completely 100% understand the thought process and why it's basically the only option. I'm just disappointed in what the options are what they are. I was assuming the cards would have been dealt a little bit better given the time since the first design was chosen.

-linux support

-availability in quantity

-reputable manufacturer

-performance

-open source as possible

it was probably in that order too. I just frown on powervr as I've heard way too many people complain about how it's so hard to reverse engineer it for open source purposes. Tegra and mali have active community driven open source gpu driver development, nvidia is even helping out where they feel they can.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_tegra_3d

But he asked a specific question, I gave the answer to that question. Now if that answer changes anything... I don't know, but it's what he asked for.

???

The omap 5 seems to meet all mosto f those requirments whats wrong with it?

@jebe- chrooted linux on android is not a good solution to running both in parallel like canonical was showing off with ubuntu for android. Just as chrooted android on linux isn't a good solution either.

You may not believe so, but to me, it looked to be completely original with nothing else like it in the mobile realm that I'm aware of right now. Nothing at that level anyway. Not a ton of information was given as to how it was technically accomplished which is a shame. The only thing I can think of is by hypervisor and virtualization.
What are you talking about?  In the Edge's Indiegogo listing they laid out that they didn't have functional code, and would provide it undisclosed months after product launch of the Edge.  Projected product launch of the edge still being months away from the current date.

What their associated video actually showed is they had an environment switcher for a more mobile and desktop optimized version of Unity which could detect the device being docked.  Android applications were neither demonstrated or launched from within the GNU/Linux environment, and what they talked about otherwise is a GNU/Linux environment under Android as per LinuxOnAndroid.  None of which is out of bounds of the existing projects ideal or not ideal as they might be.

A hypervisor style solution, unlike TI's demonstrations, was never even implied.  As far as I can tell you're just running off on marketing speak, pipe dreams, and pie in the sky wishful thinking.

That link I gave earlier with the hypervisor or "multivisor" as they are calling it, appears to be our best chance of something extremely similar and it's designed for use on omap 5. They provide consulting and support, they may even be a "turnkey solution" and you just throw hardware and money at them and they give you a ready for market product.
TI is not Canonical.

also canonical's ubuntu phone OS looks pretty original and not just frankenstein'ed projects repackaged.
Well given it is Canonical it's pretty much guaranteed they're using their Mir display server which could justly be called a frankenstein fork of Wayland, which they had to admit after making an ass of themselves.  Then there's Unity which could justly be called a frankenstein fork of GNOME, which has led to them bleeding share to other distros so bad they disowned Distrowatch, which they'd previously used as a basis to crow about popularity.  And that's just recent highlights.

And obviously they're not making their own kernel, so what exactly do you mean?  Especially given you seem to be focusing on the Edge and code that not only wasn't released, but according to the public documentation put up was pure and poorly defined _vaporware_.

LinuxOnAndroid on the other hand is an actual project and did a successful campaign to receive funding, unlike a certain Publicity-Stunt-R-Us company.  Canonical is the Linux world's queen bee drama queen, not somebody that gets stuff done like could be said for Debian, Fedora, SUSE, among others.

it's obvious you just despise that company, so there's no changing your mind. You're going to believe what you want to believe regardless of facts or reason.

Here's a video of android applications and native linux applications both launched and demonstrated within the gnu linux environment. Data is aggregated and intergrated into their little search thingy also.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3pZUCKt0RKc?feature=oembed

the data and applications appear to be deeply integrated, not the same as chrooted android or linux at all. That linuxonandroid project is nowhere near this level. Let me ask you, have you actually used it yet? I have, and it's garbage in it's current form, it's VNC'd ubuntu with horrible mouse/touchscreen support. It's like playing dosbox on the Pandora (no offense) with the offset cursor.

for those reading and don't know what we're talking about here's a video for comparison.

Pay attention to scenes like where the touchscreen keyboard comes up and the screen refresh latency, those are real and common even on an a15 (nvidia shield).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fy6Y5ZfAu4#t=212

Android has a xserver project going as a runnable application, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.darkside.XServer if they were somehow able to integrate a linux vm into the native xserver app then MAYBE linuxonandroid (chrooted vs hypervisor) would be acceptable. But it's just plain garbage as it stands right now for everyday use IMO.

I personally don't care at all about the ubuntu phone project, but the point I was making, it looks unique. It's at the very most a series of patched together and modified projects like every other linux distro out there. And at the very least, they have integrated, modified, and polished it enough to call it their own, and a unique product worthy of recognition. Not what could be referred to as a kang as you are strongly implying. Feel free to name any other quazi popular disto out there that has written every part of it themselves. It's the nature of linux and most open source projects.

But I'm talking about this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install Ubuntu touch, not the edge, I never said anything about the edge, I am openly opposed to that overpriced crap phone concept. The OS is different from the hardware, and the OS is open source and publicly available for download and use.

Back to virtualization, while actually seeing something like this is "pie in the sky" the concept is solid and IMO the future of mobile devices and desktop pc convergence. I don't care if pandora does it or canonical does it, or hell someone we have never heard of does it, but I want it, and have been wanting it badly for years. It looks like it might be feasible to do on the pyra if the right funds are raised and the right people are talked to. If you like things just the way they are, and don't see the benefit, fine.

EDIT: I also think you are misunderstanding the very real integration that they are not only implying but saying very clearly with the hypervisor/mutivisor solution

http://www.ghs.com/products/rtos/integrity_virtualization.html

• Guest operating systems: supports running multiple instances of Linux, Windows, Solaris, VxWorks and other operating systems
  • Devices and peripherals: allows devices and peripherals to be exclusively assigned or shared between virtual environments and applications
  • Managed communications: provides for managed inter-process communications (IPC) between virtual environments and applications
  • Configurability: provisioning of system resources, including memory and devices, can be fixed at build- time or dynamically adjusted at run-time
it's not TI themselves, it's "green hills software" a partner with TI who does appear to be a turnkey software solution company

I can vouch for the compatibility. Anything I've thrown at my Jolla that doesn't use Google services has worked nicely.

Back