The Big List Of Official Dev Team Updates

This is not exactly a development update, but it's interesting information: Squidge says that the Pandora project has cost "nearly £600,000" up to this point.

And now from the Department of Fuzzy Math:

£600,000 x 1.77 (approx. exchange rate of pound to USD during preorder period) = $1,062,000
4000 preorders x $330 = $1,320,000

=

profit of $258,000

The Department of Fuzzy Math makes no claims to being accurate (or being a real Department). :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure people have been paid for their work, yet. It is also questionable how accurate that figure is, sounds more like a rough estimate to me. Loss due to exchange rates going crazy etc. probably also isn't included.

OrR said:
It is also questionable how accurate that figure is

Esn said:
The Department of Fuzzy Math makes no claims to being accurate

;)

I tried to take the exchange rates into account, though, by using the official rate during the preorder period (however, the bank would've also taken a cut for itself besides the official rate). So yes, this is no more than a rough guess. The only thing it really shows is that the margins, for profit or for loss, are probably pretty slim for the first batch, so it will most likely just "break even" as Craig says.

Is this worth adding?
craigix said:
We will be offering the PCB alone in one form or another in the new year, we will make a section of the homepage about this.

Sorry I can't give any more information right now, but we are aware of the demand for the bare PCB :)

New Blog update -- that's one sexy stack of silicon!

Edit: Whoops. bennyboy beat me to it. I've got to get quicker about typing up these posts!

_Sterling said:
New Blog update -- that's one sexy stack of silicon!
Edit: Whoops. bennyboy beat me to it. I've got to get quicker about typing up these posts!

Woo hoo - does that mean the wifi antenna issue is solved? I think the wifi chip is mounted on these, right?

White Demon said:
Why isn't this thread stickied?
At one point almost all the threads in the main information index were stickied, and it was deemed too much sticky info for a new visitor or member to sort through (that many stickies is kinda off-putting). So one sticky was created, to rule them all, so to speak.

At any rate, this thread is linked there under 'Threads of Vital Importance' in the first post.

Chip, this looks worth adding:
craigix said:
Yeah, Chip is going to handle PR related things to give the rest of the team some extra time on the low level stuff.

Ubuntu is good PR, there is just no way around it - if we want the Pandora to be a success we need things like this, it will benefit us all in the long run - once we get on the radar we get more attention, more sales, more devs, maybe even commercial games - the OMAP platform is going to have commercial games either way so us being well known will only help us get Pandora versions.

As BenT said, we need to strike while the iron is hot - because if we don't someone else will - and I bet they won't be a project like this.

Chip to handle PR. Ubuntu to generate PR. But I guess you knew this Chip. B)

Esn said:
This is not exactly a development update, but it's interesting information: Squidge says that the Pandora project has cost
Except that I have no financial information whatsoever. I'm guessing only the investors know things like that. That post will only (ever) make sense in the context of the thread it was posted in.

TaG said:
Yea, I've been made aware. :D

Hopefully I'll be making a more formal, list-worthy post about my involvement very soon. As for Pandora and Ubuntu, it's way to early to make any assumptions. All we're doing right now is offering assistance. If Canonical decided to take us up on our offer, you can be sure it will make the list.

Chip said:
TaG said:
Yea, I've been made aware. :D

Hopefully I'll be making a more formal, list-worthy post about my involvement very soon. As for Pandora and Ubuntu, it's way to early to make any assumptions. All we're doing right now is offering assistance. If Canonical decided to take us up on our offer, you can be sure it will make the list.
Picturing chad78 having an aneurism wherever he trolls these days..

Back