The Calm Before The Storm

VRAndy said:
I thought they had decided that they didn't need FCC certs if they were selling from UK? Did that turn out to be wrong?

They still need the CE cert for their own markets, even if that is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vorporeal said:
I think ED/MWeston quoted that the company can produce something like 5000 cases a day.
I specifically remember someone clarifying this point and saying that the company could make 5000 per day if that were the only thing they were doing. Of course, they have other clients to work on as well, so the actual number per day they'll produce is significantly less, I think.

EvilDragon said:
Not really :)
It's still depending on so much things. If we were a proper company, we'd say December, as then everything that could theoretically happen AND some safety time to DOUBLE ensure nothing could go wrong would have to be added :)

We prefer to continue as fast as we can and deliver as fast as we can. That could be September, that could be October.
But it surely will be :)
Wasn't there something with "August"? Well at least I think I've read that here somewhere. ^_^
If someone had mentioned a release in September 2009 a Year ago...would you had belived him? ;)

kattle87 said:
Rib-Reaper said:
Guess I'll order mine in a few days since I now turn 18 tomorrow I can finally use my card online to order.
*Rolling on the floor laughing*

Seriously, have I missed something? ^^ Maybe yes since I was not following the discussions for quite a long time...

It took me a minute to remember that the Pandora team cannot accept credit card orders at the moment.

So, uh... wait for second batch?

TheRain said:
I think the blog post sounds like non-news, which is probably more why we haven't heard anything for a couple of weeks. It's nice to get a status update anyway, this one is just fairly uneventful IMO.
Sometimes no news is good news though and it sounds like things are essentially still running as expected since Ed's last post.
They're starting on the case mould. That's huge news! Case mould creation is the long, slow task that puts Pandora "two months" away from us while ever it still needs to be done. Now, we've start making real progress into that final stage. All going well, this news marks the beginning of the end of the whole damn "two months" thing.

lulzfish said:
kattle87 said:
Rib-Reaper said:
Guess I'll order mine in a few days since I now turn 18 tomorrow I can finally use my card online to order.
*Rolling on the floor laughing*

Seriously, have I missed something? ^^ Maybe yes since I was not following the discussions for quite a long time...

It took me a minute to remember that the Pandora team cannot accept credit card orders at the moment.

So, uh... wait for second batch?

Last time I checked, google checkout requires a credit card linked to it for payment.
Since I was just recently under 18 my bank didn't allow that kind of internet payment but now I can, so im pretty happy that I can finally put down my order. :D

EvilDragon said:
quartercast said:
Nice update. So when the hell am I getting my Pandora? Surely the project has progressed enough that you have a fixed date in mind.

December, as then everything that could theoretically happen AND some safety time to DOUBLE ensure nothing could go wrong would have to be added :)

Fixed.

Asmo said:
The FCC/CE testing doesn't sound so assured anymore. IIRC, ED 'knew someone' who could do the test in a short space of time, but the latest posts don't sound so confident about the process being so trivial.

Oh, the testing is not the problem :)
We had the plan doing CE first and as soon as we got the first final mass production units, do the FCC.
The process is still trivial :)

However, doing CE first and FCC later does cost more money. And American people would eventually have to wait until FCC is done.

The CE/FCC testing did tell me that you need a FINAL UNIT for testing FCC, whereas CE can be done with a prototype.
But in another thread, Spaceballs (who seem to know a lot about that), said, that a PROTOTYPE can also be used for FCC, however, the prototype is not to be changed anymore after the test.
And THAT'S what I'm gonna find out. If that's true, we can do both tests at once.
The test itself can still be done within a few days :)

VRAndy said:
I thought they had decided that they didn't need FCC certs if they were selling from UK? Did that turn out to be wrong?

Well - WE don't need FCC certs, that's right. It's up to the user (the american customers) that what they import does have FCC. While probably nothing will happen, customs MIGHT hold up some of the Pandoras. To prevent that, we want FCC before that. We need it anyways, if we want an American distributor :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
But in another thread, Spaceballs (who seem to know a lot about that), said, that a PROTOTYPE can also be used for FCC, however, the prototype is not to be changed anymore after the test.
And THAT'S what I'm gonna find out. If that's true, we can do both tests at once.
Note in my situation, our final prototype case used the same ABS plastic type with all same specs with logos, i.e. the final prototype case was identical to the final ones made by the mold die.

EvilDragon said:
Well - WE don't need FCC certs, that's right. It's up to the user (the american customers) that what they import does have FCC. While probably nothing will happen, customs MIGHT hold up some of the Pandoras. To prevent that, we want FCC before that. We need it anyways, if we want an American distributor :)
Ah. Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Personally I'd take my chances with customs if it meant shaving a week or two off delivery time, but I can see why some people wouldn't want to.

The only really critical part for radiation might be the WiFi antenna. But that is something that can be fixed within a few days, so we're positive CE / FCC will go smoothly.

Radiation? Perhaps we should give the Pandora a lead case. :lol: OK, I'm kidding, but I'm looking at the to-do list, and for all the nay-sayers out there, it's a pretty impressive amount that's been done already. We're in the final stages now.

spaceballs3000 said:
EvilDragon said:
Note in my situation, our final prototype case used the same ABS plastic type with all same specs with logos, i.e. the final prototype case was identical to the final ones made by the mold die.

Ah, that would explain that :)
Gonna phone around tomorrow, so I'll probably know more then :)

VRAndy said:
EvilDragon said:
Ah. Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Personally I'd take my chances with customs if it meant shaving a week or two off delivery time, but I can see why some people wouldn't want to.

Well, just did send an eMail to the FCC and got the following reply:

Dear Mr. Mrozek,

When importing certain radio frequency (RF) devices, importers must use the FCC Form 740 to declare to United States Customs officials that the device complies with FCC regulations. The importer may also make the declaration by using an electronic interface established by the U.S. Customs Service. In the event that the importer is unable to use the electronic interface an FCC Form 740 must be filed with U.S. Customs upon the device's entry.

The Commissions rules allow for exemption for cellular phones & similar telephone devices that operate on standards not used in the U.S. and, as a result, are unable to function in the U.S. These types of devices present no interference risk and may continue to be imported and marketed.

Pursuant to Subpart K of Part 2, and specifically Section 2.1202(a) of the Commission's rules, some cameras are excluded from the importation rules.

Typical examples of devices that require the use of FCC Form 740:
- Radio and TV receivers
- Converters
- Transmitters
- Transmitting Devices
- Radio Frequency Amplifiers
- Microwave Ovens
- Industrial Heaters
- Ultrasonic Equipment
- Transceivers
- Computers

Last edited:
Jourdy288 said:
The only really critical part for radiation might be the WiFi antenna. But that is something that can be fixed within a few days, so we're positive CE / FCC will go smoothly.

Radiation? Perhaps we should give the Pandora a lead case. :lol: OK, I'm kidding, but I'm looking at the to-do list, and for all the nay-sayers out there, it's a pretty impressive amount that's been done already. We're in the final stages now.
Not that bad an idea really since according to cisco holding an active wifi antenna may result in cellular nerve damage.

Sphinxter said:
Jourdy288 said:

Not that bad an idea really since according to cisco holding an active wifi antenna may result in cellular nerve damage.
LOL, but I don't think you'll get a signal...
laugh.gif

FCC Form 740, eh? Well, I did a quick search, and this looks like it might be a good reference guide. I don't really know a lot about these things, but I hope this helps.

Back