The Caring Corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a dance partner? Salsa dancing classes usually have to few gents...
No offense man, but I HIGHLY doubt that you are my type :)
Also, isn't it an imbalance due to lack of vitamin D? (and then spiraling out of control)
I have no idea. Isn't that sunlight related? That might explain why walking helps so well. How do I find out?

<google time>

Visit the doctor apparently.

<blablabla yada, yada>

Aha! Egg yolk. More bacon & eggs! I can live with that.

Aww, look what we have done, we ended up in the caring corner.
@rygD and i tell again that this kind of line sounds as if you insist you can just walk it of.
Way to go guys, now we all have to be nice and caring. :p

No, can't just walk it off, and in my case it is used more as an escape than actually dealing with issues, as it distracted me from whatever is going on. And that is the thing, you have to confront and deal with what is putting you in the problematic mental state. Often, physical activity of some sort can help, and at worst it is usually a good idea for physical health. If you end up thinking about your problems, that isn't a bad thing... And again, physical activity was advised by a mental health professional knowledgeable of the patient's situation (or an am I getting mixed up?). Whether running, walking, or lifting weights, thoughts will pop up, if they aren't always present as they are for some of us. Maybe sports will keep them away, but that wasn't the advice.

Sometimes I get the feeling that many guys here are depressed because introverts never get the/a girl.
This had not been a problem for me. Despite being an introvert I tend to draw attention to myself, especially once I get started talking and can't shut up. My depression is most likely chemical, and made worse by certain life events. We can talk more in private if you want.

Alright! I got promoted to captain :) You will find that I am lacking a certain amount of common sense.

No it was obvious that he was joking. It is not the joke that worries me but the feeling that might be hiding behind the jokes. I often use humor to avoid or mask difficult topics. Hence, I am making an assumption (which I should not do) that he did the same.
Is the land or naval type Captain, though?

@Elw3 that last paragraph is key. For me the jokes started as a mask to keep my struggles hidden from others. It wasn't just a defense mechanism, as I had to maintain professionalism. I also make jokes to generally lighten the mood, and make myself feel better. That is why I think bad jokes are so good. :D

As far as I know vit D is associated primarily with calcum absorbtion, which is a good thing to have especially in terms of bone health, and you can get that from the sun if you live in spain or any closer to the equator; the current thinking is anyone living north of there (or south of similar latitudes) would do better from taking a supplement, but that thinking will probably be completely reversed by the time I hit 'post reply' on this post, because that's the way science happens.

I've found lack of company leads to the circular negative thoughts that can be a hallmark of depression, but I don't think it matters so much whether it's male or female company. Our hormones tend to lead us to find people of the opposite sex to commune with, but that can have its own problems in my limited experience. I don't think as a species we need all that much contact, but as far as I've found internet communications has very little value in that respect

True story: I have a vitamin D deficiency and am taking a weekly dose of it each Sunday. >_>
How big is the dose?

I absolutely have to ad here that a vitamin D deficit was the main reason for my panik attacks. Other hormones where probably going rampage too but most of my problems just stoped when taking the pills.
It is just called a vitamin making it sound more harmless than it is, it actually acts as a steroid.
Symthoms are very subtle at first, it attacks the mind making you nervous and short tempered all the time, way before physical problems appear.
Physical symthoms start with very short stinging pains eg in the neck or legs. Generally when a bone has to deal with pressure, at that point you bones start to get damage because the balance between the bone disolving parathyroid hormone and the activated form of vitamin D is disturbed.
Next you end up with calcaemia, the body tries to repair the bones, gathers calcium in the blood but fails to build it in so it damages your nerves.
Your cholesterol levels will rise too, if your doc ever said "Your colesterol is high" then stop trying to eat healthy and get you damn vitamin D levels checked.
Also: yawning, gosh you will yawn so hard, a dentist could give you a root threatment without that you even notice.

For reference: i was prescribed 20.000IE per day. If you think now you can go to a drugstore and get a pack of daily eaten vitamin pills to counter a theoretical deficit then remeber you have to eat the whole pack at once to get the result of real medicine.

Oh man, I have the cholesterol thing too. I take both pravastatin and fenofibrate for it.

Then again, being from the Murica, I do eat all the meats. >_>

Thats how they fight that? With pills? Thats middle age medicine. Throw that garbage out, you will just ruin your liver andt kidneys.
Cholesterol is an important building material for the body, hence it is stored and not filtered and peed out.
If you level rises that means the body wants to build something but is missing other materials. Vitamin D is one of the resulting products hence the levels correlate.
Absorbation rate from food will fall down once all you deficits are gone.

Just one thing: Sunlight rule, you will only produce Vitamin D when your shadow is shorter than yourself.
A certain wavelengh is needed that cannot pass through much air and wont reach the ground when the ankle is too flat.
A good sunbathing produces around 20.000IE (hence my pills have that size), you need around 1000IE per day.
So you need to take a sunbath at at least 18 days per year and that in summer.
Averagely ant theoretical of course, i have not studied that, this is what i remebered from reading the leaflet.

dont-cry-czarno-biale.gif

It has been a long time since I was truly in love.
I was playing at a festival last weekend and the hired musicians had free access to the whole completely sold out thing so I was there the whole time and ended up dancing with the same gal for multiple hours on Saturday. As it turned out she is a more positive version of myself: Same hobbies, same humor, similarly educated, honest, kind, same wave-length, etc... quite short (even a lot shorter than me, such often is the most important thing for gals around here although probably not for her) and we could smell each other so good. I teached her a bunch of folk dances she didn't know in a way she understood and it was all very very nice.
As it turns out, she already has a bf who is moving to her city (which is right beside this one here and close to my old place) this weekend and plans on staying together with him indefinitely (like I would as well, as I've said, same kind of person, nearly every other woman here is polygamous, which is my general problem in this town).
I thought that I was depressed before but this has hit me way harder than I could have imagined. I haven't slept a lot since last Friday, lost 3kg and am very very tired of everything.

PS: Please don't quote this post.

Last edited:
@Klumpen I am sorry to hear that, I know exactly how that feels and it isn't good.

My brain tells me to let it go, but it is damn hard to do so. It is slowly getting better, but it takes time. A LOT of time and way more energy than it should.

19 more days until my next psych appointment. I seriously need a med change this time. It's 6 PM already and I haven't done anything today. I don't know how they expect me to change unless the meds change, the human brain is just a bunch of chemical interactions.

Guys, I can't get excited about anything. I have hundreds of games and don't wanna play any of them. There are hundreds of shows I could watch with my Crunchyroll subscription, and I don't wanna watch any of them. And oddly enough, I haven't even felt like eating much since getting home Wednesday afternoon, even though my meds usually make me stupid hungry.

I'd say this has to stop, but at least the appetite loss thing is a welcome change.

Oh yeah, haven't been able to code either. I've given up on switching from C++ to C though, so maybe I'll be able to get back into it eventually. The only thing of consequence I've done lately is make some random graphics in Aseprite. Don't even know what I'll use them for.

@JDTAY: Clean up 1 room. Mentally regress 10 years ago and do what you were passionate about then, for example: watch that old favorite movie again, or make a 30 minutes mix of favorite old music. Do small things with a sense of accomplishment.

Run! Run till it hurts... it will create endorfines....

Loss of appetite is nothing to worry about. Normal ppl can go for a week without food (called fasting, but keep drinking water, hunger will come back, when it does, answer the call).

But once you slip up on your hygiene, tell us. That would be bad.

Last edited:
Heh, this _i dont want to do anything_ is exactly how i feel too right now.

Guys, I can't get excited about anything. I have hundreds of games and don't wanna play any of them. There are hundreds of shows I could watch with my Crunchyroll subscription, and I don't wanna watch any of them. And oddly enough, I haven't even felt like eating much since getting home Wednesday afternoon, even though my meds usually make me stupid hungry.

I'd say this has to stop, but at least the appetite loss thing is a welcome change.

Oh yeah, haven't been able to code either. I've given up on switching from C++ to C though, so maybe I'll be able to get back into it eventually. The only thing of consequence I've done lately is make some random graphics in Aseprite. Don't even know what I'll use them for.
This has been happening to me lately. I want to do something (read, put up shelves, install ceiling fan, etc.) and can't. It isn't a lack of motivation, just difficulty concentrating on the task. So I try to watch something. And I can't. So I get up and walk around and look for something to do, but I can't. So I try to play a game... Except for short little five minute things, that is how I have been living the last couple days.

Heh, this _i dont want to do anything_ is exactly how i feel too right now.
Yeah, but I don't think that is what he meant. Lounging around and being lazy should be fun, not a prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back