The Final Revision

Bit dull though, we should name them like the old Amiga chip sets. Mia, Emma and Hannah are apparently the most popular girl's names in Germany at the moment (not that they have to be girl's names).

Of course the A500's motherboard itself was called the B-52 Rock Lobster.

Main board, CPU board and display board have been working fine for us for the last few years.
I personally think the term CPU board could be misleading for the uninformed, should be called SoC board. But whatever.

Pure CPUs have been growing wings for years now. Nowadays your off-the-shelf CPU will probably contain some primitive 3D acceleration, bits of a DSP, bits of the north/south bridge, PCIe controllers, and probably other bits I've forgotten. Whether it's a CPU or an SoC is largely a matter of pure nomenclature these days I think.

I figure I better add a picture of us here.. ED's exact words "Why would you want a picture of me, there's tons on the internet"

mbfUSro.jpg

Bit dull though, we should name them like the old Amiga chip sets. Mia, Emma and Hannah are apparently the most popular girl's names in Germany at the moment (not that they have to be girl's names).
I wouldn't be so gay, if my mother had given me one of those names.

Soon there!

When I first ordered one I planed on replacing both my phone and laptop with the Pyra. It now leans more towards adding it on top of the other devices, or possibly only replacing the phone.

Either way, can't wait to get mine, and start writing code on it in unconventional places.

@Grench Tintin stole it ;)
I was gonna say "Tintin !" but you ninja'd me, heh. I don't know how the english dub of the animated series (The Adventures of Tintin) sounds, but the french version is a blast. With reruns ever since, it made a few generations of froggies ;)

@Xcl4m4t10n : that reminds me of the kid's smile in Hey Hey 16K. And it's a great opportunity to ask you about your signature : I've never found the source song for this, and I hate you for it !

I was re-reading the initial post and looking at the pictures more closely and I came to think:
Won't covering the (new) Wi-Fi antenna's with your hand when you hold the Pyra be a problem? Having them at the side and all...

I was re-reading the initial post and looking at the pictures more closely and I came to think:
Won't covering the (new) Wi-Fi antenna's with your hand when you hold the Pyra be a problem? Having them at the side and all...
Other devices like cell phones and such have a much more enclosed casing and don't seem to have this issue when holding it in your hand. I can't seem to dramatically change my WIFI strength no matter where I hold my cell phone.

Just a quick update:

The Pyra wouldn't be the Pyra if nothing would go wrong.
It's the curse of the Pandora, I guess.

Luckily, it's nothing bad.

See here and spot the difference between an old and a new PCB:
IMG_20180724_095612.jpg

Yep, the new PCBs accidentally have the battery connectors attached the wrong way round.
This means that they don't connect to the battery when they're in the case,,, d'oh!

Luckily, it's a quick fix (couple of minutes rework) and the PCBs are already on the way go GC.

Can you imagine how shocked I was at first?
I tried all 20 PCBs I have here - and none of them could find the battery!
We made some changes to the charger / USB-Setup, so I feared we had a design error and broke it somehow... but when I held the battery manually to the contacts, everything was good!

And another quick update:
I now know that doing the thorough Wifi testing will take about 5 - 8 hours. They will receive the boards tomorrow and have it done until August.

This isn't about what we're colloquially calling the mainboard - that would be a bit big for a keychain (plus I've already got a signed unpopulated one of those from the pre-preorder phase), but the CPU boards which plug in to the mainboard (or perhaps the other way around depending on your perspective) are a lot smaller and tall and thin rather than designed to host all of the game controls and keyboard so basically the size of the finished unit.

I guess the problem with old boards is that copper tends to oxidise over time in the atmosphere. You may be able to bathe the boards in flux or something to undo that enough to be able to solder to the pads, but is that really worth your time; even dozen layer unpopulated PCBs are not where the expense is in these kind of operations.
Oh I know, I meant that my weird idea was based on my belief that he probably had some prototype mainboards still lying around somewhere that could be paired with the (soon to be keychains) non-perfect CPU boards and sold as scrap units inside the clear cases, as another option to just turning all the CPU boards into keychains. But I didn't think about the copper oxidizing over time, which just shows how bad I am at ideas lol
I was thinking he'd be able to make some more money off units like these so all those old parts wouldn't go to waste, but thinking about it again they'd be way more trouble than they're worth for him to clean up, build, and sell.
[doublepost=1532488681,1532488441][/doublepost]Also, why do populated Pyra boards look so damn delicious?

They will receive the boards tomorrow and have it done until August.
No wonder this project is taking so long... instead of getting stuff done by a certain date you somehow manage to get it un-done by that date. ;) Impressive a feat as this is, it strikes me as being somewhat counter-productive. ;)

*grins ducks and runs*

-Neelix

Back