The handling and control of the GP32!?

Psycho_Squid

Still Fresh
Reviews say that the handling of the GP32 is "bad" especially the "joystick".
Is that true hardcore GP32 owners? Or is it just something a newbie says?

Please let me know your opinions.... :huh:

If you grew up with the Nintendo cross shaped joypads the GP32 joystick might feel uncomfortable :eek:

I you grew up on NeoGeo the GP32 joystick feels very familiair :D

For about an hour i found the stick too sensative and too hard to control. But you get the knack of it very quickly. I am unfamiliar with both the above described controls, I come from a keyboard / mouse backround (and maybe a digital joystick back in the olden days). I actually hate most console controllers.

Anywho, my point is I quickly got used to it, and now I can manage it np's @ all. I can usually even find 'next' on the mp3 player with it in my jacket pocket (it looks less sus than going for the two handed SELECT + R combo)

Axeman posted on Oct 8 2003 at 11:43 AM said:
I love it. Makes other handhelds seem unresponsive!
indeed. The GBA pad seems way harder to use after playing the gp32.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it as well. Needs some adjusting though. Just pop it out and ush it about halfway in and I haven't had any problems since.

Its better than the sucky GBA/SP pad by far, man thats a peice of shit, feels like something from a dogey $10 handheld game from a cheapo shop.

when i got my gp32 out off the box,i though the stick would break in about a week...
now i think it the best controller on any handheld ever....

Hehe :lol: you guys and hm *girls? may have right. GBA control sucks!?
Thanks everyone for sending replies. I can finally buy a
GP32 now that i know that the most important in portable videogaming (the control)
is my your mean decent.

I hope it will rock my world! :rolleyes:

The control stick is actually very responsive. However the diagonals suck (there are other posts about this already). Basically the socket where the control sits is too narrow to allow full diagonal movement of the stick, making it very difficult or impossible to click simultaneously in two directions (up or down with left or right).

phoda posted on Oct 8 2003 at 12:55 PM said:
The control stick is actually very responsive. However the diagonals suck (there are other posts about this already). Basically the socket where the control sits is too narrow to allow full diagonal movement of the stick, making it very difficult or impossible to click simultaneously in two directions (up or down with left or right).
Yeah, the way to remedy this is to pop out the stick a little bit, not push it all the way in. Fixes it perfectly.

When i first got my GP32 i was out of control on many games i played, it took me about 4 days to get used to the super sensitive stick. Now that I am used to it, i love it. I haven't played my GBA since i got my GP32.

Swiss_Cheeseman posted on Oct 8 2003 at 01:05 PM said:
Yeah, the way to remedy this is to pop out the stick a little bit, not push it all the way in. Fixes it perfectly.
Unrfortunately that did not work in my case... I believe due to mechanical differences between one GP32 and the other. Oh well... I'll maybe try sanding the GP32 socket some day, to give more diagonal movement.

Phoda I know what you're talking about, I have to pull the stick out slightly(not a fix, a hassle because everytime I want diagonals I have to try and dig my nail under the controller and pull it towards the diagonal I want pretty much impossible for playing any fighting game) to get diagonals and my down is slowly going the way of no direction

With all the posts recently about the joystick and diagonals, i guess i'm pretty lucky to have a stick that has no problems at all hitting the diagonals. ;)

I got it about 2 weeks ago. I am at work now, so I won't be able to tell you the specs or anything until i get home, and hopefully my internet will be working when i get home as well. I knew i should've brought it to work today. :D

Back