The Hunt For The Ultimate Sd Price

'EmuGuy' said:
For us Canadians:

NCIX.com. My favourite dealer, used them for years, wish they had a store near me:

CODE
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1310
I cannot agree with this more... NCIX is an excellent store here in Vancouver. I just drove over to NCIX Langley this morning to pick up a 24" Samsung LCD monitor. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from my house. :) :) :)

I also picked up a 16GB Kingston SD card for $25CAD (after $10 mail in rebate, which came in after 2-3 months) on their Boxing Day sale. It's happy in my GP2X right now but will move to my Pandora when it comes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
In UK you can buy 8GB Class 6 Transcend for £18 at memorybits.co.uk . Given that it's known brand and fast memory, I think the price is good.

borgqueenx said:
maby think about europian people who want to buy a cheap sd card as well. we cant buy stuff from sites that dont ship overseas.

Play.com delivers to the following;

Andorra
Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece (Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver items over £30 to Greece.)
Greenland
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Vatican

Apparently their shipping is free of charge to all of these places.

Source;
CODE
http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Help.html?page=del

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a342779.html

16GB Class 6. Cheapest one 22€, but yet, the shipping prices are just a pain in the ass. Don't get why one should pay 7€ for such a small package.

(for other non-German Europeans: click on the EU flag on the upper left)

But I really want to have 2 32Gig cards in my Pandora...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-32Gb-SDHC...1056&sr=8-1

£80.

I have a 40Gig music collection that I would love to have available at all times. I will, however, wait to see how well the Pandora can replace my aging iRiver H300 mp3 player (that I have on my at all times...)

Mind you, I still think getting one 32G card is better than having 2 16Gig ones.

Decisions decisions!

One thing that would be a good idea to keep in mind when looking for a bargain is your intended use for the SD cards, you don't really need a top end class 6 card for a lot of things.

SDHC cards vary a lot in their write performance and access time, and even the read performance for cards within the same speed class isn't as uniform as you would expect.

But in a way this is good news, as you can tailor your card for what you're planning to do with it :)

Say for the Pandora if you wanted to run another OS (i.e. Gentoo) then you'd be wanting a card with good read/write performance and crucially a good access time too (and of course a card that could handle multiple simultaneous IO requests well), however if you just wanted a card to put audio/video/ROMs onto for playback you really don't need much more than the basic 2Mb/sec read performance that a cheap class 2 card would give.

I've got a couple of 16GB Lexar pro cards that I'm planning to use for OS and tools, and I'll pick up cheap 32GB card for music/video etc when the Pandora is a bit closer :).

There was a link posted on here earlier for a high end (for the time) SDHC comparison review on Tom's hardware, that review was interesting as it clearly showed the differences in cards that on the surface are similar (due to their SDHC class) check it out

CODE
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/sdhc-memory-card,review-31516.html

Butterman said:
I've never had a WD hard drive fail, ever.
i had around 100 failed wd's over the last 5 years :). ok, the comparison is a bit unfair - i administer a cluster with ~1000 pcs :)

I have an update on Play.com's own-brand cards to post (though as a general rule, the issue applies to all of the cards they carry, regardless of brand). Their 16GB SDHC Card, which was ~£17.99 just a few days ago (and has been so for about four or five months, at least), is now £59.99. Just a heads-up - flash prices are definitely rising. :p

'Prometheus' said:
Their 16GB SDHC Card, which was ~£17.99 just a few days ago (and has been so for about four or five months, at least), is now £59.99. Just a heads-up - flash prices are definitely rising. :p
Lucky I didn't listen to the people here! I feel bad for anybody who missed out - the conventional wisdom was to wait till the Pandora launch.

Let's be honest though, that must be a mistake. A quick flick around the internet still shows 16gb sdhc cards for about £20.

www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=104277

And besides, the 32gb card on play is still £65. Who the hell would fail to pay the extra fiver for double the memory? Someone's messed up somewhere, and I doubt that the change will last long...

That said, if you're just talking about getting a 16gb card it doesn't really matter whether you get it now or at launch. It'll only be a couple of quid difference one way or the other. Assuming the pandora comes out in the next few years or so :p

Ha, I didn't think to check the 32GB card, there. Good call. :lol: (Hopefully it's sorted soon - I was looking to pick up a second one since the prices haven't changed for so long, and discovered this when going to buy it.)

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I think it's better here than in a new one.

For those in the UK:

http://www.boffer.co.uk/ has 8gb cards for £7.99 1 day only (and they may sell out)

it's 2.99 shipping though so it works out to £11 if you only buy 1, or £9 if you buy 3(the maximum)

Edit: just noticed they are micro so you'll need an adaptor as well, sorry

I almost posted that one earlier, bencoder. :lol:

Then I checked on Play.com, and found their own-brand 8GB microSDs for £10.49 (this is cheaper than their standard-sized 8GB cards), with free delivery. According to the reviews, an adapter is included with these.

Don't buy anything off of ebay unless you're absolutely certain it can't be faked. If it can it will, and plenty of stuff you think can't still is.

Whats wrong with the cards at ebay. Heaps of people on forums say not to trust Japanese and Chinese sellers but the only problem I've ever had with them is slow shipping. I've seen these really cheap sd cards that are 32gb and 16gb from a Japanese seller and I don't see any reason why it would be fake. They have been selling SD cards for a while and I was unable to find bad feedback concerning fake sd cards. It saids its class 6 speed, has lifetime waranty and has a return policy. The only odd thing is that they don't have a brand. Has anyone actually had bad experiences with ebay sd cards because I really don't see why people tend to avoid ebay.

If the cards you have seen are "really cheap", as you say, then they are almost certainly really fake. It is highly unlikely that an eBay seller is going to be selling at below-cost.

I would strongly advise you to read the articles that I link to in my signature. They will tell you everything you need to know about flash-memory on eBay, and why it should absolutely be avoided. The country of origin makes no difference - some sellers lie about their location, others dropship, and so on.

As for being unable to find negative feedback regarding fake flash media, that's because most people copy a text file or a couple of photographs to a device, think "Oh, that's ok then.", and then leave positive feedback, and it isn't until weeks or even months later that they learn there is a problem. In some cases people simply leave positive feedback right away just because the item arrived. Worse, sometimes sellers of fake media demand that people who have bought their items send the item back and change their negative feedbacks to positive ones, or they won't give them a refund (I am given to understand that in such cases, the buyers generally don't get refunds anyway - they just lose their evidence).

EDIT: Here are copies of the links in my signature, both for future reference should I change it in the future, and also for the benefit of those browsing with signatures deactivated;

SOSFakeFlash

Flash Drive Education 101

Flash Drive Education 102

What Are The Real Costs For Flash Chips In China? Guide 2009

H2testw 1.4 - Gold Standard In Detecting USB Counterfeit Drives

Also be sure to read a selection of the other pieces, and the alerts, on SOSFakeFlash. They are quite enlightening. :p

Whats wrong with the cards at ebay. Heaps of people on forums say not to trust Japanese and Chinese sellers but the only problem I've ever had with them is slow shipping. I've seen these really cheap sd cards that are 32gb and 16gb from a Japanese seller and I don't see any reason why it would be fake. They have been selling SD cards for a while and I was unable to find bad feedback concerning fake sd cards. It saids its class 6 speed, has lifetime waranty and has a return policy. The only odd thing is that they don't have a brand. Has anyone actually had bad experiences with ebay sd cards because I really don't see why people tend to avoid ebay.
I have so far not had any bad experience from hongkong sellers but from Spain, England and USA I had som bad experience.... so I think it is wise to look carefully before deciding to buy from ebay. Now if you want to buy from Ebay I think you should look at how long the seller has been active there, what feedback he has and if it looks right, like if it looks like the person has a store and sells more then one of the things you want then for me it feels more likely that it is something trustworthy.
Also, if it have not arrived within a month, take care so it does not go over the time for a refund if you use paypal.

Back