The long road to a final unit

In the old days, it was either ask someone or travel all the way to a big enough city that would have a library with a book that contained your answer and spend hours looking for the right book and the pages you need. And even then you might not find your answer and have to ask if anyone knows someone who might know the answer, leading to more travelling...

That's not old fashioned, that's just lazy.

I like to do that too, and I'm too young to do old fashioned things. :-D
It is old fashioned. The current lazy method is having a gadget/widget on your desktop using web data. SOund like you're an old boy that dont yet assume that :p

That's not old fashioned, that's just lazy.

I like to do that too, and I'm too young to do old fashioned things. :-D
It is old fashioned. The current lazy method is having a gadget/widget on your desktop using web data. SOund like you're an old boy that dont yet assume that :p
In that case I don't want to know how old fashioned I'll be once I'm 20 years old. :)

So I'm closer to 40 than 30.. And I'm the progressive one here?

I think the old fashioned way is to try to figure things out or find out stuff yourself, which may include going somewhere to seek the information, or just trying it, and then ask, and the new way is to have a vast amount of information instantly available, and pretend that you are more wise and knowledgeable than you are because you can look it up.  Both require footwork on the part of the person, but it doesn't hurt to ask, especially when it comes to acronyms.

I was also unaware of the barometric pressure sensor.  I wonder what other sensors we will get.

I am somewhat excited about the case design and shoulder buttons.  It's kinda pathetic since it is such a little thing.

Are the BOE displays significantly cheaper than the others?  If the BOE ones became unavailable would it be difficult to switch over to a different one?

I am guessing the wide Pyra battery may be able to fit in the Pandora battery compartment with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what the viewing angles are on the BOE screen that they're demoing?  That's all I really care about the screen, but BOE's website clearly does not list the panel that ED is testing, since he's looking at a 720p panel and the ones listed on their site are all 800x400ish

Does anyone know what the viewing angles are on the BOE screen that they're demoing?  That's all I really care about the screen, but BOE's website clearly does not list the panel that ED is testing, since he's looking at a 720p panel and the ones listed on their site are all 800x400ish
It's 720p.

See Gamescom Video

Test setup pic from EDs twitter:

BxDRB6GCQAAidEd.jpg

(

Here's a picture of the testing setup, in case you want to see it :)

— Michael Mrozek (@EvilDragon1717)
)

If I see it correctly the image shows this:

left board is the battery-board, connected with the red/green wire to the Pyra mainboard.

In the middle you see the Pyra mainboard with CPU board added on top of it.

You also see a pen of a scope attached to the top part of the Pyra mainboard.

On the right side you see the Omap developmentboard, it has the red UTP cable and black power cable attached.

At the top right you see, I guess, the LCD board for testing the screens.

Also added to the image on the left bottom side is, I guess, some keyboard parts.

The bomb part would be the battery, LiPo battery can do some nice fireworks if mistreated.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ixIOEPnsgbI?feature=oembed

Is it weird that the main thing I'm looking forward to in the Pyra is the backlit keyboard?

I would use my Pandora so much more if it would have that. For me it's the ideal fiddling around in bed device and I get a lot of euhm.. let's say negative feedback from the other person inhabiting my bed if I switch the light (any light, doesn't matter how small) on.

Is it weird that the main thing I'm looking forward to in the Pyra is the backlit keyboard?

I would use my Pandora so much more if it would have that. For me it's the ideal fiddling around in bed device and I get a lot of euhm.. let's say negative feedback from the other person inhabiting my bed if I switch the light (any light, doesn't matter how small) on.
Wouldn't the Keyboard light also be considered a light?  Well, unless the keyboard light is acceptable when very low. 

-Glyph Reader

Wouldn't the Keyboard light also be considered a light?  Well, unless the keyboard light is acceptable when very low. 

-Glyph Reader
Excellent point. But the screen itself is worse so that would always trump the keyboard.

We have reached a compromise as far as phones go and the Pandora screen size makes it a device in the phone department. 

I once bought one of these really small lights you could clip onto a book and that didn't fly at all with her. Problem is I always go to bed much later so she's asleep already but sleeps light. And I can't sleep if I don't do some browsing, fiddling with code, reading about fiddling with code etc etc so deals had to be struck. So using the special characters on the keyboard of my current 1GhZ just doesn't work in the dark. Also not really well in dimmed light and I'm a bit of a vampire, I like to dwell in the dark(ish). 

Luckily the Pyra is coming along nicely! :)

-Glyph Reader
Excellent point. But the screen itself is worse so that would always trump the keyboard.

We have reached a compromise as far as phones go and the Pandora screen size makes it a device in the phone department. 

I once bought one of these really small lights you could clip onto a book and that didn't fly at all with her. Problem is I always go to bed much later so she's asleep already but sleeps light. And I can't sleep if I don't do some browsing, fiddling with code, reading about fiddling with code etc etc so deals had to be struck. So using the special characters on the keyboard of my current 1GhZ just doesn't work in the dark. Also not really well in dimmed light and I'm a bit of a vampire, I like to dwell in the dark(ish). 

Luckily the Pyra is coming along nicely! :)
Have you tried tilting the screen so the light is angled on the keys?  I don't have a Pandora , but I do this with my laptop sometimes when I work at night, and I can see the keys a bit better when performing non-touch type actions. 

-Glyph Reader

I can mostly blind type on my Pandora in the dark these days, except for a few rarely used FN-key symbols. With the Pyra having a new layout the key light will mean I don't have to spend time learning it first.

The display we'll get for the Pyra will likely be the BOE W677L. Because I'm having a cold and lying in my bed I was looking up the specs and wasn't that impressed.

These days even the cheapest low end smartphones for less than EUR 100,- come with an IPS panel which means better colour reproduction and much better viewing angles. Contrast ratio of 800:1 isn't that great either.

I know, getting displays at small quantities is a hard job and it needs to work with the rotation chip. But the Pyra will be a premium device, at least regarding the price tag.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pandora and I sure will love my Pyra. But please give it a better display, at least an average IPS panel.

Back