The magnificent seven

One other question about the coated/coloured cases; it seems that it's the coating that carries the colour, and the base plastic is black, at least judging by the places on the inside where they didn't spray the coating. This isn't what we were promised, as I recall, where the base plastic would be the same colour as the outside. It may be okay if the tests you do prove it's almost impossible to file off, but I'd be surprised if that were the situation personally.

You probably should not be overly concerned about the coating. I suspect that the color coated cases you're seeing are likely for the prototype pre-preorders (they were given special color options) and for testing the color coating process itself. The final production cases would then likely have the coating color matched to the case plastics - if they are coated at all. The, "if they are coated at all", likely depends on if using the 'right' plastics blend and mold hardening gets rid of the discoloration that the black cased prototypes have.

The above is just my theory though.

Good to see the progress! Thank you for the update, always a joy to see an actual assembled prototype. (or 7!) Best of luck on the final stages of the hardware project, and thanks to the dev's who will now try and get the OS ready for Beta. Personally I can live with 2gb, but I imagine the team will find a way around that too at some stage.

Yes, that's a good theory, and I had forgotten that the paid prototype users were getting special colour cases. I've not spotted eight different colours in those boxes though, so these aren't all of those cases, and he's planning to test one or two to destruction.

He explained in the video that they think the problem with the plain black plastic cases was the viscosity of the fluid. The plain cases were made using left-over fluid from production of large plastic parts, and those parts generally use a more viscous gel like fluid. Small parts like the Pyra's bits and pieces should be done with a more runny fluid that quickly fills all the parts of the mould more quickly, so it should only start to set after the mould has been completely filled, and thus all set together which should work better. If the moulds haven't been hardened yet then things can get even better from here

Yes, that's a good theory, and I had forgotten that the paid prototype users were getting special colour cases. I've not spotted eight different colours in those boxes though, so these aren't all of those cases, and he's planning to test one or two to destruction.

I suspect that one or more of the prototype purchases may be in relatively 'normal' colors of black, clear or dark red.

My first request for glow in the dark was nixed. My backup options were clear, red, or mixed. We'll see how it turns out.

In one of the photos of the most recently arrived cases I did spot a clear part. That may very well be a piece of mine?

But yes - it's getting closer. I still wish he had an OS image so they could be turned on.

Amazing to see the group photo of the Seven New Prototypes. :)

But they are so very ugly in black!

I do hope that if we do end up with a one-colour-fits-all pyra to start off with, that it will not be that colour! The dark grey in the press kit renderings is very much nicer to look at.

Amazing to see the group photo of the Seven New Prototypes. :)

But they are so very ugly in black!

I do hope that if we do end up with a one-colour-fits-all pyra to start off with, that it will not be that colour! The dark grey in the press kit renderings is very much nicer to look at.

I was leaning towards a black one, but after seeing those in black, I would very much rather have it in that blue. The wine red should be very nice too.

Last edited:
I would be happy if black, white and transparent are made. We need to cover those basics flavours first.

I suspect the black will look better with the proper plastic. Even now, I quite like it -- I like my cheap stuff to look expensive and my expensive stuff to look cheap!

+1 for black....

Looks great goes with everything.

Like the Magnificent Seven photo!

Thanks for all the updates and progress, ED!

Wow, that was quick... I hope RAM issues will be fixed. RAM chips are really sensitive to frequency changes and signal timings. For Eee PC to bump it to 2GB I had to try 6 modules, all looking the same. One was a month older than others. And this one was the only working without famous "flickering screen" problem. The thing is that in Eee PC there is no control over timings while in Pyra it is possible to mess with it, if it's a timing issue it may be fixed by firmware.
These black units, in the photo with 7 prototypes, also remind me some retro-technology, and this is something I like. We'll see how it'll go with different colors as it may look also better than I was thinking (a whole thing is also keymat, nubs, buttons). This black looks a... very retro-like. Like these computers built in early 1980s by plants who never made computers before. They applied different technologies from different devices, sometimes result was looking like a household appliance with very high-tech things attached here and there.

Only two months left! Well, if there is no volcano eruption that is... ;)
Now turn them on! Can't wait to see a video of them running.

Am I the only one thinking that black, white and clear are not colours? They'd all likely be good, but...

Thinking about it, I'm really starting to like the dark red.

It's the one that proudly stands out, not caring that it might be surrounded by dangerous and powerful, yet more conventionally attired devices, proclaiming: "I swear to you, that those who would harm us will die screaming"

Or something...

Back