The New Year's Deadline

Alex.

Retired
Lately word has been going around about our little scene approaching an untimely death. New software releases have been the magnet that kept most of us here. Lately, these releases seemed to have slowed down, for understandable reasons no less. But what if as many GP2X devs as possible tried to release one piece of software* around the time of January 1st 2008 (give or take a few days)? With a bit of luck and determination we could get tens of new software - now that would be a breath of much needed fresh air, wouldn't it? :)

This could be big, and would show everyone what the GP2X scene is all about. Imagine, 20+ releases in the time span of one week. Put a coffin nail in that, if you can <_<

-----
* If the software is new, it doesn't have to be in a fully finished state, this is more about uncapping potential than doing gold releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try - I've got something in progress, but I'm not promising anything.

I'm not keen on releasing anything incomplete, I've tried that before (listing the deficiencies in the README), but you still get loads of negative comments.

Mr.Jabberwocky said:
Can I hold back the release of PSSST, or do I have to make something new ?
It's entirely up to you, this is just a suggestion, not a requirement or obligation :)

I guess there'll be quite a few F200 based releases - mostly of pocketPC based stuff that needs touchscreen to work..

I'm wanting to do some dev on it as well, but since I don't own a gp2x yet I'm a bit stuck.

Over the last two weeks, I've been working furiously at what I thought would be a simple port. It was to be a satisfying, triumphant return to programming after 6 months in the woods. It really was intended to be done by now, a warm-up for something more demanding. But I've been fighting a bug in it for 4 days straight and memcheck, valgrind, and gdb have all been of little use. Trouble is, the bug only occurs on the GP2X, never when run on a windows or linux PC. Arrrrgggghhhhh

Anyways, yeah I've got two things in the pipe, one will be done by Dec 31st and it'll be quality. :p

EDIT: hah, fixed the bug at 5:30 in the morning

How about making it a long-running competition till Jan 08? I'd do it as a GPXile competition, but I can barely afford the cost of living, let alone buying flashy prizes.

Actually lets just focus on getting the scene back up to spec.

Then we can worry about the competitions and such later.

FleshChasmer ZERO high quality homebrew saga :)
Project Completed. Unreleased. Possible release date - begin of November.

I'm working on something new for the gp2x - old-skool arcade sort; a unique game (I think) but instantly recognisable :) ..
Problem is I'm getting bogged down in things like button-reconfig and stuff like that - the game's essentially finished but not quite as complete as I'd like to add these things..
Personally I think getting loads of games in bulk doesn't help, I'd prefer to see a steady trickle of ports, emu updates and new homebrew..

I think we should have a Touchscreen mini-game competition. I would do a brain age mini-game!!! ;)

garzyboi said:
Actually lets just focus on getting the scene back up to spec.

Then we can worry about the competitions and such later.

<_<

Nova said:
How about making it a long-running competition till Jan 08? I'd do it as a GPXile competition, but I can barely afford the cost of living, let alone buying flashy prizes.
Let's just do another community competition. You know, where we donate to one account and the winner split it accordingly... What do you think?

Game_over said:
I think we should have a Touchscreen mini-game competition. I would do a brain age mini-game!!! ;)
But that would cut off the majority of users, who have F100s - definitely not the goal here :p

OMars said:
Nova said:
Let's just do another community competition. You know, where we donate to one account and the winner split it accordingly... What do you think?

If only some people would have been nicer to Psymastr...

i have that "death" feeling too ..
i do prefer NewYear with polished c64/Zx/Amiga/PcEngine/Snes + new homebrew
..and then .. eternal silence

damn ..that was short life :(

Alex. said:
Game_over said:
But that would cut off the majority of users, who have F100s - definitely not the goal here :p

OMars said:
Nova said:

If only some people would have been nicer to Psymastr...

That's true, hmm, it could be a catagory in the competition, there needs to be some motivation to take advenntage of the features of the F200 also or there won't be that much to justify a purchase/upgrade of one yet.

Alex. said:
Lately word has been going around about our little scene approaching an untimely death. New software releases have been the magnet that kept most of us here. Lately, these releases seemed to have slowed down, for understandable reasons no less. But what if as many GP2X devs as possible tried to release one piece of software* around the time of January 1st 2008 (give or take a few days)? With a bit of luck and determination we could get tens of new software - now that would be a breath of much needed fresh air, wouldn't it? :)

This could be big, and would show everyone what the GP2X scene is all about. Imagine, 20+ releases in the time span of one week. Put a coffin nail in that, if you can <_<

-----
* If the software is new, it doesn't have to be in a fully finished state, this is more about uncapping potential than doing gold releases.
I like your thinking Alex. A huge homebrew release day could certainly garner new interest in the 2X.

I've been thinking a bit lately about how to make the 2X scene (and possibly the Craiginator scene) more active than it currently is. I'm vaguely familiar with something called indie gaming, which is similar in many ways to our little homebrew scene. It's a small group of hobbyist game developers who make (sometimes for profit) games for Windows/Linux etc. Though both our scene and theirs share mostly the same common interests, our separate communities rarely cross paths.

If we could somehow court indie game developers to our scene, we'd no doubt see an increase in releases and activity on this board. "How" is the big question though.

Anyway, sorry if that's off-topic. I'm all for a New Years mega-homebrew-release Day. :)

See but problem with indie granted is the money/time/patience and interest in the actual system.

Theres a reason why those indie devs go after pc.

I believe when I was first talking about with a few guys over at local IGDA meetings.

Indie gets nice advantage over big guys without having to worry about so many deadlines and such and work with smaller teams.

Still you have to get them to want to work with gp2x which shouldn't be too too hard because of the open source aspects.

I think the best way is to show them what the system can get done. Hmmm you know that competition sounds like a good idea. if you can showcase tech demos, demos, and concept art and other details on system at the competition I bet you they'll come flocking over.

Back