The old retro: Pocket PCs. The new retro: Keyboard PCs!

I fail to understand what exactly is "new experience" here. I'm typing on a similarly-shaped keyboard right now, and having an extra square foot of desk space (where my laptop is sitting) is hardly exciting enough.

Having choice is not a bad thing. They succeeded and raised 150% - good on them. I personally am still pussyfooting with my custom case PC and can't even dream of convincing anyone of buying anything from me in the nearest 100 years.

They put the whole computer into the keyboard. That's right, modern computing has finally caught up to the eighties! ;)

Take a good keyboard, throw that away, get a new worse keyboard, put a PC in there, load it with an OS that spies on you.

Gnarly.

Shipping in less than one month. Or two months if you want to believe the quotes on the pledges.

N O R M I E S R E E E E E E E E EEEEEEEEE E

Looks better to me than these PCs in a stick. At least you have the physical space for ports and no need to add dongles to what is essentially a fixed PC.

A fanless and cheap one would fit my parent's computing needs for example.

But you can as well buy any 2nd hand laptop with a broken screen, remove the lid and achieve the same thing without producing more e-waste.

Last edited:
Looks better to me than these PCs in a stick. At least you have the physical space for ports and no need to add dongles to what is essentially a fixed PC.

A fanless and cheap one would fit my parent's computing needs for example.

But you can as well buy any 2nd hand laptop with a broken screen, remove the lid and achieve the same thing without producing more e-waste.
And you you'll get a way better keyboard too with an actually usable touchpad... Having a pocketable computer that needs a full size screen is not that useful and carrying a full size laptop base does not seems to bad given the additional power, battery, better keyboard and trackpad...

Why not put the computer under a separate leopard? Make a flat computer around 8mm thick, 45cm wide and 16cm deep. Then you can put it under your leopard, minimising desk clutter - but you can use any leopard you want. Model M, sleek glass panel, or anything in between.

Ventilation shouldn't really be a problem for everyday computing nowadays, anyway.

Why not put the computer under a separate leopard? Make a flat computer around 8mm thick, 45cm wide and 16cm deep. Then you can put it under your leopard, minimising desk clutter - but you can use any leopard you want.
I don't see it minimising clutter, but it might be hard to use. I doubt anyone would try to steal it, though. :p

a computer built for modularity with big cats? i guess that way you can put a lion on it if you like.

why not put in a nice mechanical keyboard? now if your keyboard breaks your computer dies...

I have this idea based around the Pyra and mechanical keyboards...

Start with a compact TKL (Tenkeyless) mechanical keyboard.
Put a Pyra touchscreen above the F5-F11 keys.
Put a Pyra's nubs & game controls to the left/right of that (shoulder buttons on the back edges even).

Computer in a mechanical keyboard - complete with display. Perfect for serious typing, remote desktop applications and the occasional gaming while waiting session.

It would be a $750 keyboard computer. Hmm...

It's nice to see at least that the latest atom x5 is rather affordable in this device. But no integrated pointing device and no integrated battery. Hm :/

The suggested use case, bringing it to a meeting, will still have people lug around a mouse and a PSU in addition to that keyputer, assuming the presentation room has the video cable. A regular laptop makes more sense.
Looking at the tiers they'd of course love to equip whole companies with those things. Businesses surely can't wait to get that non-servicable throw-away hardware instead of regular office PCs or thin clients.

@kuru honestly, I am pretty sure that lots of companies wouldn't mind the non serviceable part... It's probably cheaper to stock some new units than having ITs servicing old hardware...

Back