The Pandora Killer

Frogboy

Wake me when it's over.
Website
Visit site
MeggyJr.png

The average gamer plays games on a manufactured console. The truly hard-core gamer makes his own using kits like the Meggy Jr RGB.

The idea here is that you put the Meggy together yourself, and then program games that will run on the 8x8 RGB LED matrix display -- plus eight extra LEDs that you can use for scoring and the like.

According to developer Evil Mad Science, Meggy is "fast, programmable, open source and hackable," although putting it together does involve a bit of soldering.

Meggy Jr RGB kits run from $65 to $95 -- some sets include handles and extra cables -- and are available now from the Evil web site.

Okay, so it isn't a Pandora killer but still pretty cool. :)

Check out the full details here.
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/meggyjr

That's really cool. Depending on what games someone codes I might get it. I really liked the game 'lights out', it was one of my favorite time wasters for a while, maybe it will have that.

Any thread named "The Pandora Killer" in the general Pandora section is just trolling, seriously. Please no more. At least put them in the off-topic section of the boards...

Vorporeal said:
Any thread named "The Pandora Killer" in the general Pandora section is just trolling, seriously. Please no more. At least put them in the off-topic section of the boards...

Come on I thought it was funny...take a chill pill :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
andrewe1 said:
Vorporeal said:

Humor is never out of place, this was funny and couldn't remotely be considered an attack on anything.

+1 to chill.

We have way too many people on this board trying to play netcop about what the other users are posting, be happy and don't take everything so deadly serious.

Belthos

Also that is just undeniably a cool toy, with work it could probably be hacked into a usb controller for the pandora with it's own rgb screen ;)

It's a real shame to see something with so much potential being artificially limited by the poor design choice that is the 8x8 screen. Come on man, give the people something to work with here, 128x128 wouldn't have hurt!

128 x 128 = 16384

Do you REALLY want to solder that many LEDs? Not to mention how close they would have to be in that case.

32x32 even (see Pocketstation), but 8x8? I'm really stretching my brain trying to think of ANYTHING you can do on that. I think they pushed the novelty of limitation just a bit too far. You can't even do Tetris on this.

8x8 definitely is a bit lacking... but I have to admit the pocketstation made me amazed at what could be done in 32 X 32 b&w. Not the best handheld, mind you and not too many games or apps for it, but it was an interesting little device (I used to use mine to turn off tv's in the sony store all the time :p)

This looks nice and I'm actually considering buying one! Yes, it's a little bit limited, but also it's one of the most original handheld concepts ever.
But how difficult is it to build it together if you don't have any experience soldering?

If you move it extremely rapidly in a perfectly square pattern, persistence of vision will give you 16x16. ;)

I'd love it if someone would come up with a gag photo of a handheld using tubes and relays with a circular o'scope CRT in the middle and sticking way out the back.

www.xgamestation.com

Go there if you want to build your own console that can actually do things, and learn about designing consoles at the same time.

XGameStation is an overpriced piece of poo. If you really want to "learn about designing consoles" buy a CPU and build one yourself rather than buying what amounts to a beefed up PIC with a few connectors pre-attached.

Megamixman said:
128 x 128 = 16384

Do you REALLY want to solder that many LEDs? Not to mention how close they would have to be in that case.
Haha, I must have missed the part where you have to solder each led :p Then 16x16 would have been an alright compromise, although still painfully limiting.

Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way though, Meggy's extra-low resolution could encourage extreme creativity in game design and make a great canvas for demos.

belthos said:
andrewe1 said:
Vorporeal said:

Humor is never out of place, this was funny and couldn't remotely be considered an attack on anything.

+1 to chill.

We have way too many people on this board trying to play netcop about what the other users are posting, be happy and don't take everything so deadly serious.

Belthos

Also that is just undeniably a cool toy, with work it could probably be hacked into a usb controller for the pandora with it's own rgb screen ;)

Thanks for having my back. I can't believe that anybody actually thought I was serious, especially since I explicitly said that I wasn't. Wow.

Back