The Remaining 3160 Lcds?

john4p

Howdy!

So you already got 640 of the 3800 LCDs. Do you have any clue how long it will take your supplier to deliver the rest?

This is a wild, very wild, I must say a totally wild guess, but I think if they knew they would say it. :ph34r:

ED:
Bisher gibts noch keine Verzögerungen. Kommt eben drauf an, wie schnell weiter geliefert wird - aber das konnte eben der Hersteller noch nicht sagen

Rough translation:
There is no delay, yet. It depends on how fast delivery of the LCDs continues. The manufacturer couldn't answer that, yet.

Kloplop321 said:
Well that stinks
Why? There can be no better news than that everything goes as planned so far. Craigix stated that they have 640 LCDs ALREADY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I meant that it seems to be going slowly compared to how other companies get screens so quickly from manufacturers.
then again it really is not in total mass production

Kloplop321 said:
Well I meant that it seems to be going slowly compared to how other companies get screens so quickly from manufacturers.
then again it really is not in total mass production
I am sure that they padded in some extra wiggle room to make adjustments as different schedules slip from manufacturers, which is likely why they were able to make the memory and flash changes this late and presumably not have it impact the release date more than for example the LCDs could. Manufacturers quite often don't deliver 100% on time, and if there are manufacturing issues I'd prefer they resolve them than rush out a shoddy product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some progress :) :

ED:
Softwareentwicklung ist schon gut. Es sind jetzt ALLE Treiber fertig bis auf den TV Out, der ist aber auch fast fertig.
Leider läuft der Kernel auf meinem Devboard dadurch nicht mehr, da es da kleinere Änderungen im Board gab.

Angström wird gerade angepasst und der Kernel mit allen Treibern kommt dann dazu, und wir haben ein lustig zusammengebasteltes System.

Rough translation:

Software development goes nicely. ALL drivers are finished except TV out, which is nearly finished.
The kernel doesn't work on ED's devboard any more, because of small changes on the PCB.

Angström is being adapted now and the new kernel with all drivers will be added.

(Edit: EDs board-> ED's devboard)

ED:
Was meinen Bereich betrifft: Ich habe die letzten Tage die Gummimatte auf den zehntel Millimeter genau ans Gehäuse angepasst und diese ist nun beim Prototyping.

Rough translation:
"Regarding my domain: In the last days I have tweaked the key mat to a tenth of a milimetre to fit in the case. The mat is at the prototyping now."

i dont get the lcd delay at all ,4000 for a production line is a very
small number,to get an odd amount like 600 lcd units is also
strange,to think that the company behind the production are
creating these lcd units for open Pandora only is silly,

i would imaging this to be more true ...

lcd manafacturer isnt giving priority to the Open Pandora team and
finnished lcd's are going elsewhere first,this is why it was stated we
may be waiting till january for more lcd's,are the Pandora team getting
these units at a discount price ? hence the lack of fuss at the waiting game from the company behind the lcd units ?

anyway ,i just dont beleve there could be such a delay for so few units
and to receive only 600 is strange ,tho another theory would be that
the first 600 were in a way to show the commitment ,the production
company warn of delays,but should make good and possibly have the
entire ending amount complete on time to everyones cheer !
i have saw this happen before so its very possible ,i know some will
say even the big companies have problems like this but i would imagine
the big companies are working with much higher numbers.

The reason for LCD shortages is that there's a worldwide shortage of glass; stockbrokers and bank managers are jumping through windows... :p

My only hope is that they are getting some kind of economic advantage for the contract's terms not being respected... At least they might be getting some 3,000 $ more, or something like that... (assuming 1$ for each LCD delivered too much late)

Back