The SNES Classic Edition Is Real!

@matzesu Even Amazon links automatically become embedded on this forum? Good god, the pain!

For some reason, it won't work when I allow embedding, and I really don't have the nerve right now to figure out why. Could you do me a favor and post the link again, but in code tags?

I am curious about the N64 version, if they release one. I wonder if Perfect Dark (or some other notable third party titles) would/could be included. Also, that controller! I still don't have any interest in it, as I have a real one and the carts.

I might be interested in a GB iteration of these things. It would need to fit in my hands, and I have a bunch of other requirements, but they could potentially get money out of me if it is done right.

I guess the Rare games might be difficult due to bits of the IP being owned by Microsoft these days. I've just checked the Wii U's VC service, and there are no Rare N64 games there that I can spot - they were all published by Nintendo, apart from one from Sqenix, one from Natsume (the obligatory Harvest Moon title), and one from Konami (Bomberman, obviously).

Probably not much other than the big franchises that would be of much interest then, and those are present elsewhere if anyone is looking for them.

Apparently I don't get it, though. The NES and SNES ones seem to be really popular.

Ordered 9 of them :) No regrets.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am curious about the N64 version, if they release one. I wonder if Perfect Dark (or some other notable third party titles) would/could be included. Also, that controller! I still don't have any interest in it, as I have a real one and the carts.

I might be interested in a GB iteration of these things. It would need to fit in my hands, and I have a bunch of other requirements, but they could potentially get money out of me if it is done right.

Honestly, I can't see them bothering with an N64 version, as that is where they really begin to start the downhill slide that is their home console market. Don't get me wrong, the N64 had some gems, but since most of that systems best games are going to be off limits, they would be left with not much to make for a true "greatest hits" line-up of games.

As for some handheld possibilities, that's actually a cool idea. GB or GBA could be really great, but I wonder what the price would be on something like that, as it would need it's own screen. It would also need a HUGE line-up of games as well, and with licensing and what not, who knows if theirs enough money in that to make it worth their time.

At the end of the day, all these "flashback" type devices are cool enough I suppose, and I guess they are offered to the masses as a cheap way to relive those past fun times. And while the NES/SNES Mini's are better than some of the other devices offered by other past gaming companies, they are all pretty useless in regards to playing these past games. Sitting down with a controller tethered to a device is just past times I don't need or care for anymore. Being able to turn a system on from the controller, and being wireless is just to good to pass by for old time nostalgia.

Chris

And if you have any kind of adblock it helpfully removes them entirely.
I would love to see that happen, but sadly, at least as far as my personal setups are concerned, certain things merely get discarded sometime during the downloading or rendering(-ish) processes which occur after a given event has elicited a communication with those outside sources whom originally summon those unholy acts of the kind presented above. ;)

A.k.a. "Fix the website."

Last edited:
This looks really nice, might go for it if the price is right. NES games are cool and everything, but I think 16bit was the golden age of 2D. The hardware was powerful enough to realize ideas without much compromise, but limited enough that games had to stay focused and not jump the shark.

And if you have any kind of adblock it helpfully removes them entirely.
Ugh, I wouldn't mind if that happened to all the other embedded links too. When did iframes become cool again? +o(

Honestly, I can't see them bothering with an N64 version, as that is where they really begin to start the downhill slide that is their home console market. Don't get me wrong, the N64 had some gems, but since most of that systems best games are going to be off limits, they would be left with not much to make for a true "greatest hits" line-up of games.

As for some handheld possibilities, that's actually a cool idea. GB or GBA could be really great, but I wonder what the price would be on something like that, as it would need it's own screen. It would also need a HUGE line-up of games as well, and with licensing and what not, who knows if theirs enough money in that to make it worth their time.

At the end of the day, all these "flashback" type devices are cool enough I suppose, and I guess they are offered to the masses as a cheap way to relive those past fun times. And while the NES/SNES Mini's are better than some of the other devices offered by other past gaming companies, they are all pretty useless in regards to playing these past games. Sitting down with a controller tethered to a device is just past times I don't need or care for anymore. Being able to turn a system on from the controller, and being wireless is just to good to pass by for old time nostalgia.

Chris
I have even seen generic handhelds at drug stores for around 20 bucks, and I don't think those have any good games. If Nintendo made a GBA version and included GB, GBC, and GBA games, just like real GBAs can play, they wouldn't have to worry as much about those third party companies that don't want to play ball. The screen might add a bit of extra cost, especially since it needs to be a color one, and backlit. It would be really great if it took AA batteries. If people are willing to buy those other ones, I am pretty sure a Nintendo one would be successful.

(My secret wish is that it would have the built in titles and a slot for carts. I would almost definitely buy it then.)

I guess I am a purist in a sense, as I usually play old console games on the original console with the original controller, on a CRT. I am not one of those people that will go and throw tons of money at it to get the "best possible experience", I just use the same kind of stuff I always have (although the picture is starting to suffer on my TV, so I occasionally check out more portable ones at thrift stores).

And that is really why I am confused about these types of products. I figure most people fall into one of 3 categories when it comes to playing these old games: the weirdos like me that go for old hardware, those like you that prefer to keep things modern and probably go for the VC option, and those that do all their gaming on a computer* (most likely Windows, ewww). So are these things for the non-gamer or casual crowd?

*BTW, this is a great option if you travel a lot, and the Pandora and Pyra, or whatever, are probably even better for you if you don't need a laptop. Of course, now that everyone has smartphones I feel like those that didn't used to play games now spend more hours weekly on games than some of us that have been around for decades. Sure, I might play those ones occasionally. I don't really stick with them like I do with "real" games, though.

Just an update sold 2 on ebay preordered which has paid for all 9 and with some profit. I think these things are going to be rarer than the nes classic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tend to agree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games

The system defining titles for the Nintendo 64, which Nintendo has easy access to the licensing for, have pretty much all been remade for Nintendo DS or 3DS. The titles owned by Rare have recently been re-released in the Rare RePlay collection. That puts both parties in a position where there's not really an incentive with respects to the N64.

From my perspective the real question is why they haven't effectively done that with the 3DS. The original hardware could handle GBA reasonably well, and certainly there's not problem on the *new* version with games like Metroid Fusion. I understand those of us with an active Ambassador Certificate needed something to assuage us early in the generation but by this point GBA and SNES titles should both be on the eShop, in addition to the GB and GBC. They of course could have also pushed for digital releases of DS software given the 3DS can handle that natively kind of like they did with the upgraded Phoenix Wright Trilogy, but they haven't seemed to perceive it as worthwhile to capitalize on for some reason.

From my perspective the real question is why they haven't effectively done that with the 3DS. The original hardware could handle GBA reasonably well, and certainly there's not problem on the *new* version with games like Metroid Fusion. I understand those of us with an active Ambassador Certificate needed something to assuage us early in the generation but by this point GBA and SNES titles should both be on the eShop, in addition to the GB and GBC. They of course could have also pushed for digital releases of DS software given the 3DS can handle that natively kind of like they did with the upgraded Phoenix Wright Trilogy, but they haven't seemed to perceive it as worthwhile to capitalize on for some reason.

Honestly, I just think "N" is clueless 95% of the time, sadly. When you have a company with one of the richest and best quality library's of possibly all gaming, you have to ask why there is no set way to acquire most of those games across different devices. I understand "N" was late to the digital age, but they only need to look at Disney and see how to market, promote and sell items that fans want. Years ago, Disney was struggling like "N" has been since the Wii U, and then Michael Eisner came in and said there was millions setting in their vaults not doing anyone any good in there. "N" has needed someone like that for decades, who knows what they have, and how to get it to the audience that want's it most.

"N" should be bringing in millions annually from their back catalog alone, and more often it's an after thought to them. The rabid outcome of the NES Mini should have shown them that, but the NS is still without any proper VC, and what was offered to the Wii U and 3DS was a joke at best. A HUGE part of their income should be coming from past software, which in turn could pay for more new and unique IP's, instead of the same old retreads of the most popular titles we see each new gen from them. As they are to scared to take many risk anymore.

It is what it is I suppose, and I've just come to realize that more often than not, they are just going to do "whatever" and hope for the best. It's sad to see, as the NS is doing rather well, and with a proper VC offering, they could fill the voids left while waiting on more games to come along, but's it's very obvious to me, they haven't thought that far ahead, and no telling when they may get around to it either.

Chris

Back