The thread to end the 'GBA EMULATION' debate

RoboJoe32

1: GP32 cannot emulate GBA fullspeed, if a pentium 3 with a decent videocard chokes on GBA emulation at times, what makes you think that 133 MHZ and 8 MB of ram (which isn't enough to hold most of it's games) is powerful enough to even get playable (laggy) speeds?

2: Why bother? If more people were worried about snes emulation and perfecting it, we would already have 90 percent of the GBA's library (and better too, not cut up butchered ports on a squashed screen) if you want the other 10 percent of GBA's library, just port over golden sun, and pokemon.

3: Nintendo 'technically' shouldn't be able to sue gamepark over what it's users do, but then again, 'technically' microsoft shouldn't be allowed to illegally pair in IE with windows, and 'technically' Nintendo should have been dis-banded due to legal issues in the NES days.

I must agree i would use a full speed snes sooo much more than a gba emu i also quite like the r-type on there cant remember its name super r-type??? i just dont find it overly playable at the moment

Axeman posted on Aug 20 2003 said:
I want SNES, not GBA.

The best games have come and gone, and I want THOSE ones again :p
agreed!

Last edited by a moderator:
RoboJoe32 posted on Aug 20 2003 said:
2: Why bother? If more people were worried about snes emulation and perfecting it, we would already have 90 percent of the GBA's library (and better too, not cut up butchered ports on a squashed screen) if you want the other 10 percent of GBA's library, just port over golden sun, and pokemon.
You give me full ports of Advance Wars 1 & 2, Metroid Fusion, and every GBA Castlevania game. Then I won't be worried about porting a GBA emulator. :p

GOD! Arent you happy enough with snes, you already have enough games already without snes and genesis. QUIT COMPLAINING.

EDIT- =sorry its a bad fsking day todayY$#TSDFfg

Whooha! I can't hear it any longer. If you guys wanna play gba-games, then go and get one ...

this kind of topic is really §$%&$§"%%$% - like the soccer-game germany vs. italy

I don't care about a GBA emulator, but the last topic about this subject was about if a GBA emulator would hurt Gamepark.
I would like a fullspeed SNES emu more then a GBA, and a GBA emu would be more of a show-off then a real project. I gotta say that I enjoy NES more than I do GB-C and GBA! :D

Well, if most of the GBA games are straight ports of the SNES versions, then I'd rather have good SNES emulation.

And Genesis emulation and Neo Geo pocket emulation.

Man, this is going to be great. Can't wait to get my GP32. I have the C-64 emulator ready for action.

It is getting quite laughable. ;) GBA emulation - why bother! I would love to see SNES emulation get a little bit better and possibly GBC emulation perfected a bit more.

Changing the subject slightly :) Would anyone be interested in possibly making single arcade emulators :D

Mofokubik posted on Aug 20 2003 said:
GOD! Arent you happy enough with snes, you already have enough games already without snes and genesis. QUIT COMPLAINING.
Man, I wasn't really complaining, more like pointing out that there's lots of good GBA-only games (despite what most of the people in this forum seem to think). And because of this, people want a GBA emulator.

It's a fairly natural reaction, and I don't know why people around here are so opposed. So what if it's never full speed? As long as things are playable, chances are people will be happy.

It just seems so silly, considering everyone is so wild about every other emulator... it's just another console to be emulated, you guys should just chill. If an emulator gets ported, then it gets ported. Otherwise, who cares? :p

90% of gba games aren't snes remakes. I would like a gba emulato, because it has games that you won't find on the other systems. It has great graphics and sound. Mario Kart Advance, IMO, is way better than the snes one, because first of all, MKA already has all the snes tracks, and second of all the graphics and sound have been greatly improved. The tracks are also great. The games are also still being made for the GBA, so we don't know what games to expect.

90 percent of GBA games aren't ports or remakes?

lesee.

Advance wars (there's a perfectly good faicom wars for SNES)

the battle network series (which is ultimately inferior to the megaman X series)

Rockman zero (read last)

Golden sun (You trying to make me laugh?)

and so on..

SNES has a much larger (and better) library than the GBA, and is more possible than a GBA emulator... (Tales of phantasia > any and EVERY GBA RPG, past, present, and future)

I think that porting over the GBA seems less useful to any of us, and seems only inherently useful as a coding exercise the more that I think about it.

The GBA and its games are readily available and for the most part easily obtained (either in legal or illegal form) - so why would you even want it ported? It's not a dead or dying platform (currently, although PSP is on its way) and you can get a brand new one on ebay for about $60.00, probably even less elsewhere.

Many of the emulators out there are not only supporting some excellent games, but the fact is many of these systems, games, etc. are not easily and readily obtainable - very difficult (not impossible) to find Necromancer for the Atari 800 or Smurfs for Coleco.

The GP32 is not only a fun way of passing time (both playing and coding), but it really is helping to keep alive games and systems that have otherwise moved on - I don't think the GBA's (nor the GB's for that matter) time has come yet. One day it well perhaps when GP128 is around. <_<

Personally, I'd rather see a more complete version of MAME, a faster version of SNES and LYNX, and a single version of an Apple II Emulator - mainly because I love playing a lot of these games (and can on my desktop), and would really like to do so on a portable handheld.

Emulating a very current and very alive portable to a portable seems somewhat unnecessary. Although from a coding challenge perspective - I certainly see why someone would be interested (although from what I understand the ARM processors are too different anyways)...

anyways....

HZ :ph34r:

The only reason many people who already own gba is they want to intergrate the 2 systems. It would be awesome, but then again pointless otherwise to even attemp as already said. Snes is never going to be ported its not even full speed on Dreamcast. One way is make texture options like transparency and shit. I bet a quarter of the ppl who bought the GP32 expected the GBA running well on it. :rolleyes:

snes emu is gonna be weak due to the lack of buttons.. or at least the wacky gp32 placement of them. i think much is possible with the gp... if you are sick of people making gba requests then stick your head in the sand... or just keep perpetuating what you hate by giving so much attention to the drooling gba emu requesters. No mater how much sound info you feed to people they still will ask.

What about Nintendo and Gamepark merging? Then there would be a SUPER handheld :) On cartrige slot and 6 6-in-1 reader slots ;) Nintendo makes commercial games with super copy protection for the cartrige slot, and gamepark does the opensource of other slots!! This is VERY likley, don't you think ;)

Yeah, and open sourceing is dead, exclusive expensive crappy cartridges are used, and the ability to play Mp3s and do anything else is gone! THAT'D BE GREAT.

Back