The Wifi Problem Will Be Found To Be Caused By:

The WiFi problem is caused by:

• Total voters

dontspam2 said:
notaz said:
I did plenty of those tests, the speed is ~500+-200KiB. This is without using optimal resistor value (as those are difficult to solder for me).
So the speed you witnessed was without "the resistor mod". And "the resistor mod" is the solution they came up with after the WLAN-issue was resolved, correct?
With the mod, but wrong resistor (I don't have the correct one and it is impossible to buy such small resistor that is required where I live).

dontspam2 said:
What WLAN-speed will the final Pandora have. The one that a customer receives?
I don't know, but I'd expect speed close to N900 ones since it's the same chip.

dontspam2 said:
A mobile device like N900 demonstrate low WLAN speeds because they have been put under heavy power management.
What makes you think so? The chip has similar speed with and without PM enabled according to my tests (the chip doesn't go to sleep when it has work to do).

dontspam2 said:
The bottom line is this: Since I get constant speed of ~2.5+ megabytes/second on my computer over WLAN 802.11g
How your PC/laptop performs is completely irrelevant, you should only compare with other devices of the same class. I have yet to see a handheld device that could reach PC/laptop wifi speeds.

dontspam2 said:
So I'm sorry for my bluntness, but what really is the problem here?
The only one that I see is that N900's performance is somehow acceptable to you but not pandora's, even if it's almost exactly the same hardware that is involved with wifi operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes me smile when I see people worried about the speed of the WiFi.

It's a good job you whingers weren't dealing with comms kit when I started out.

1200/300 baud modems anyone? For those of you that don't understand that's 1200 bits download 300 bits upload per second. :)

BaDToaD said:

1200/300 baud modems anyone? For those of you that don't understand that's 1200 bits download 300 bits upload per second. :)
Get back in the basement grandpa!

;) i have used modems like this when i was in work for dialing into some older mainframes.

BaDToaD said:

I've discovered internet on a 56kbits/s modem… and we had a network at home on coaxial cable I think it was 1Mbit/s.

If you think the internal wifi is not fast enough, just plug a wifi usb dongle, that's all.
But if you use your pandora just to check your mail and visit websites, the internal chip will be good enough.

BaDToaD said:

You were spoilt then. The first modem I owned was, I beleive, a 1200/75 one. I used, but never personally ownen, an acoustic coupler prior to that.

I'd still prefer WiFi speed to match the specifications - all this "no device in this class meets the specifications" stuff reminds me very much of "well everyone else is doing it!" excuses.

My offer to testing the WiFi of my netbook - whilst holding it in my hand - was declined. I had no other options then. I guess I could test my phone now, but I'm not sure where I'd obtain reliable speed readings for it.

The first modem I used was 14400 baud. We borrowed it from a friend who already had this state-of-the-art high speed 28800 baud version. Me and my brother could only use it when our parents were out though, because it racked the phone bill a bit :). Oh those times, playing duke3d with one helluva lag and dropping out of sync every 10 minutes :)

Back