May The Power Be With You

Is there somewhere to put the stylus on the Pandora, or does it just hang loosely like the one on the gp2x did?

I like the metal one.

I quite like the look of both. :lol:

I use an extendable metal one with my DS Lite, though, and it's not too heavy since half of it is actually hollowed out. :p (Actually, so long as any stylus for the Pandora is the same size as that one when extended, I'll be perfectly happy no matter what the material is, as long as that material is durable. :p)

Not that it matters, but they both look like they are metal. I am pretty sure that the darker one looks like it is for the Tapwave Zodiac which was a metal rod with a plastic tip and plastic cap. It did not have a screw driver, though. Good idea!

Hotcooler said:
I'd vote for the metal one. It probably shoulf feel right in hand and should be pretty durable.
Ditto :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a stylus for a sony pda that had a built in screwdriver. The stylus came apart at the middle, revealing the screwdriver part.

A lot depends on the characteristics off the two.

The metal one has a more "cool" factor to it, but most importantly is the handling.

The plastic ( black ) one looks to be wider ( where as the metal one looks more ( very ) thin ).

I personally don't think we need to be choosing the stylus based on a picture alone. The question if the black one is plastic or metal, how much the weight is, how the width / size difference between both etc all play a important factor.

The best thing is Squidge, to have several people handle both styluses, and give there impressions. For instance, somebody with large hands ( male ), and small hands ( female ). The more people, the better. Score there initial impression, and there impression after some usage, and use that to rate both styluses...

If you base yourself on looks ( aka the image alone ), most people will vote for the metal looking one just on looks. And thats a bad thing. Better for something that looks maybe not "cool" but that handles well.

If the metal one is heavier, then I like the metal one - the extra heft adds precision, IMO.

If they're pretty identical in weight, then the plastic one, as it would visually match the rest of the system.

I don't care about look, I'd prefer feel over look any day. One thing I do care about as far as look goes is being able to find it if it's accidentally dropped. I do hope it isn't as small as the DS's

riosingh said:
Surley you need a plastic tip.

Yes, I know. I think that it is so obvious that it don't need to mention.
riosingh said:
Whats wrong with plastic? Why is plastic crappy?

Plastic is too lightweight and bending (such as Palm Zire 71 has). I like metal and thick. I thick, than easy find replacement with ballpen and screwdriver inside. And even if not replacement, just heavy and thick stylus feels more like real pen and better to use. Sure, this is just my opinion and my real experience.

I know that stylus must fit inside Pandora (alongside battery behind SD slots, inserting from side). So I just hope, that dev make enough room for really thick one ;-) Cheap plastic is good for lower coast, and everybody can replace as wish. But metal one with screwdriver (and plastic tip - for those that need to mention this :) ) will be really delight.

I prefer the black one. It will look nice together with the black case.

edit: After some thought, i think the steel one will be better. Much more durable.

I look forward to never having to pull the stylus out at all.
The keyboard and controls should make it optional, and I'll opt to not use it.
Much nicer to keep the unit held in both hands. I bet it will be awkward to use the stylus, as you will need to both hold the bottom of the Pandora, and support the back of the LCD to press the stylus.

j.pickens said:
I look forward to never having to pull the stylus out at all.
The keyboard and controls should make it optional, and I'll opt to not use it.
Much nicer to keep the unit held in both hands. I bet it will be awkward to use the stylus, as you will need to both hold the bottom of the Pandora, and support the back of the LCD to press the stylus.
For now all the prototype video I've seen used the stylus. But I see no reason why the analog pad couldn't be used as a mouse replacement. How precise and how comfortable that would be remains an open question though.

I hope using the stylus on the pandora is comfortable enough. Having to hold the device with one hand and the stylus on the other is what you do on any pda, but the fact that the pandora has a clamshell design might make in more awkward.
I guess until the product actually ships and lot's of ppl can comment about how it feels over extended period of time we won't really know...

craigix said:
Maybe we need a stylus screwdriver ;)
That would be great, and give some actual use for the replacement battery I ordered :)

Why not just give away a cheap plastic stylus with the orders and sell the fancy metal ones as on add-on? Then everyone loses wins

j.pickens said:
I bet it will be awkward to use the stylus, as you will need to both hold the bottom of the Pandora, and support the back of the LCD to press the stylus.
Don't you think the developers took this into consideration. I believe the Pandora is supposed to have enough tension in the hinge that pressing on the screen shouldn't cause it to move.

Pseudonym said:
Why not just give away a cheap plastic stylus with the orders and sell the fancy metal ones as on add-on? Then everyone loses wins
I think there *might* be a possibility that us first-batchers will get a nice, fancy (custom??) stylus as a sort of "thank you" for the faith/trust we put in them for this first batch.

Azure said:
Pseudonym said:
I think there *might* be a possibility that us first-batchers will get a nice, fancy (custom??) stylus as a sort of "thank you" for the faith/trust we put in them for this first batch.

I would very happy if that were to happen. However, I'm not going to keep up hopes for that, so that it will be a pleasant surprise if it does indeed happen.

-God Ginrai

tolysz said:
mali said:
I hope it is easy to replace the battery, or the spare one I ordered with the Pandora will be pretty useless
To be honest, I have difficulties to imagine a scenario, where you would actually need a spare battery. 8,5h at full load equals around 12h of average use, I suppose.

4000mAh * 3.7V = 14.8 Wh

14.8 Wh/8,5h = 1.7W? with wifi (250 mW?) - internet; and bluetooth(?) - headphones; and while playing 3D(?) intensive game(?)
OR spoofing wireless networks :p and watching HD movies

When you stay at home all the time, there is no need for an extra battery, you could live without one as well.

But if you go out let say long(24+) trip by car;if you are going for a camp and there is no electricity around, and it's raining so almost nothing else to do. I just can't imagine playing with a small screws in a forest :p.

I wonder why do they offered a spare battery, if the replacement of it is like iPhone's one.

I was just doing research to support my thesis and found this: [[Jorjin]] "www.jorjin.com" announce the Low power cumsuption WiFi Driver code support TI 1251 WiFi in Dec 2008 (OMAP2); and will released the WiFi Driver in Feb of 2009 :(

Yeah I got an external battery pack from dealextreme.com, it says it's 10k maH (I seriously doubt this), and has standard psp connector so should work fine with the pandora.

Back