May The Power Be With You

Tinnus said:
- Sleep: the CPU, screen, speakers etc are turned off but the RAM is kept on to keep things as they were. CPU state is saved to RAM and kept safe. Resuming is almost immediate (this is what happens when you close a DS except for some weird games, and when you "turn off" a PSP without keeping the button held for more than 4 seconds). Since the CPu is halted, no processes or anything are running. This uses very little energy (think lots of days without having to charge, like when you leave your laptop/DS/PSP closed).
- Hibernate: RAM is saved to disk/nand/card (HD in regular desktops and laptops). EVERYTHING is turned off. This uses ZERO energy since everythign is asved to persistent memory. When you turn the device again, it boots as normal but the OS loads faster because the "only" thing it needs to do is load the RAM image from the disk.
Is this already working onto the Pandora (or Beagle Board)?

craigix said:
Maybe we need a stylus screwdriver ;)
This sounds very useful. :) ...But it also sounds patended, I hope this will not be a big problem. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is your best bet for a stylus screwdriver combo:
http://www.sazze.com/products/dremel-1130-...er-stylus-combo

:D

More seriously, I think chip is right when he says that crews are a good compromise. I don't want a flimsy battery cover like some other device. I am sure you could find a ways to secure it well in a screw-less fashion. Then again the drawback are pretty minimal and screws might just be the easiest and most efficient way to achieve this.

So that leaves us to carrying a small screwdriver around if you really needed to having a second battery with you. Or have an external battery... the various usb one's are kind of nice but it can only be used to recharge the pandora. It's not possible to use the pandora at the same or run it from usb power alone.

So yeah the external battery powered charger might be the best idea... Just imagine a 8000mah battery in a custom case... :blink:

marshal said:
the various usb one's are kind of nice but it can only be used to recharge the pandora. It's not possible to use the pandora at the same or run it from usb power alone.

So yeah the external battery powered charger might be the best idea... Just imagine a 8000mah battery in a custom case... :blink:
Pandora might not allow it through USB but you could just build yourself a female USB to power plug adaptor or replace the USB completely with a power plug cable. Then you can just charge through the regular power socket.

aq21 said:
Chip said:
True, it is not impossible to imagine a situation where you might need to replace the battery in the field, but if you have to carry the replacement battery, is it really that hard to carry a small screwdriver as well?
Have you been to any airport lately? Try sneaking a screwdriver aboard an airplane and you might end up in Guantanamo or one of its equivalents.
The Things He Carried

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/airport-security

marshal said:
More seriously, I think chip is right when he says that crews are a good compromise. I don't want a flimsy battery cover like some other device. I am sure you could find a ways to secure it well in a screw-less fashion.
the zaurus had a lock switch that was pretty secure and also easy to open.

but stylus screwdriver would be way cool :)

The good old Handspring-styluses had screwdrivers in them. Those were nice Palms...

Chip said:
Compare the likelihood of battery replacement with the likelihood of a friction-fit battery cover becoming lost / broken. Then compare the number of users likely to be inconvenienced by having to remove two screws to replace the battery (potentially few) with the number of users likely to be inconvenienced by a lost or broken friction-fit battery cover (potentially all). Having the cover secured with screws is the best solution for the largest number of users.

While I personally agree that the best way to get more juice on the go would be to carry one of the numorus USB backaup chargers with you, a good compromise on the hardware side of thigs would have been to design a friction-fir cover with screws securing it in place, which could be removed if desired (for a more instant, though less secure, battery changing experience).

I guess it's too late now to make any changes anyhow!

I thought "better to be safe than sorry" and ordered the spare battery, to be honest, I ordered 1 of everything from the list when I ordered my Pandora, i suppose the main reason I did this was to show support for a project I believe in by buying all the extras that they will actually make some money from.

Whether I will use the spare battery often or not, I would like to be in the position to have that choice.

Pleng said:
design a friction-fir cover with screws securing it in place, which could be removed if desired
Remove screws, apply tape. Sorted :)

I do tend to agree with your idea, though, a best of both worlds design.

Chip said:
if you have to carry the replacement battery, is it really that hard to carry a small screwdriver as well?
actually, no. You might need to replace the battery whilst on the long travel by air, but screwdrivers are considered "dangerous tools" by airport security and will be confiscated (I know it from experience). Of course, one can come up with something that does not look like a screwdriver at all but has the necessary edge .... dunno, a coin perhaps?

Svartalf said:
You're going to be carting around an small, lightweight USB powering battery brick- about like everyone else sane does when they've got mobile devices.
Ahh, indeed. Makes more sense than replacing battery whilst traveling

Rather than using the USB socket, why not use the DC IN socket?

Something like this: http://www.techfocus.co.uk/Game-Accessories/TFX03.htm

I admit the picture looks a little odd "It takes 4 x AA batteries" but comes in the shape of a mains plug :eek:

Bronek said:
actually, no. You might need to replace the battery whilst on the long travel by air, but screwdrivers are considered "dangerous tools" by airport security and will be confiscated (I know it from experience). Of course,
Maybe they think you'll start disassembling the plane? :D

Squidge said:
Rather than using the USB socket, why not use the DC IN socket?

Something like this: http://www.techfocus.co.uk/Game-Accessories/TFX03.htm

I admit the picture looks a little odd "It takes 4 x AA batteries" but comes in the shape of a mains plug :eek:

Bronek said:
actually, no. You might need to replace the battery whilst on the long travel by air, but screwdrivers are considered "dangerous tools" by airport security and will be confiscated (I know it from experience). Of course,
Maybe they think you'll start disassembling the plane? :D
This looks like a cool idea - might have to order one of these - has anyone got one on these and tried it before (on a PSP :angry: I mean)

peca said:
craigix said:
Maybe we need a stylus screwdriver ;)
I guess that You state that stylus will be just crappy plastic stick. May be I'm wrong or just don't remember correctly. I just hope that hole for it is as big as possible and I can made my own replacement. Actually just yesterday I imagine about it. I plane make one from stainless steel with screwdriver in. So if such one will be included, I'll be really pleased. :)

Surley you need a plastic tip.
you cant write in a lcd screen with a stainless tip, you'll scratch the bollox of it.
I've heard some some mad sugestions, first there was the metal cover so the wifi and blue tooth dont work.
then stainless steel pointers which'll scratch your screen to blithereens.

Whats wrong with plastic?
Why is plastic crappy?

bolt-z5.jpg

Which one looks crappy and which looks smart?

Squidge said:
bolt-z5.jpg

I prefer the metal one, however, if it's heavy then I'd be relucant to use it. It's just not as comfortable that way.

The steel one will of course be heavier, but I find that much better than the light weight of the plastic. I think it actually makes it more comfortable to hold.

I remember Mark Hamill used to do a Satinised Platinum stylus for just $4045. Encrusted diamonds and emeralds being an optional extra. Thats how much people think of the value of the stylus!

Pleng said:
...a good compromise on the hardware side of thigs would have been to design a friction-fir cover with screws securing it in place, which could be removed if desired (for a more instant, though less secure, battery changing experience).

I guess it's too late now to make any changes anyhow!
+1 _ seen the case is still prototyped, I really doubt this is a big issue to include some kind of friction based battery holder - but-still-having-a-hole-or-2-for-screws-if-you-really-want-it-fixed-for-a-deathride.

I definitely prefer to carry a spare battery then some kind of "USB power source" that waists at least 20% of it's energy to charge a other battery, a spare battery is a lot more compact and convenient. (I can't imagine to use some kind of external pack for my Minolta 7D camera, maybe strap it with velcro then somewhere?)

I have 2 BP-5L Li-polymer battery's (1500mah I think??) for my nokia N800, giving me a nice fresh one whenever I need it. Normally it's charged separately in a charger, hence if I'm away for the day, just switch the battery's when passing trough home and there you go, again 5 hours of working time in 10 seconds while the other one is nicely charging....

It's simply so damn handy to be able to replace a battery without tools. :ph34r:

Edit: hum, seen I often get 4hours "intensive" browsing on my N800, who's using a 1500mah battery.. w00t... I'm really looking forward to the pandora's 4000mah battery usage time ...

Squidge said:
bolt-z5.jpg

I don't mind the plastic one if it's not real low quality of course. I have mostly used plastic one's until now and the only one which I have found horrible are the ultra thin type that are on some smartphone. I don't see that happening for a device like the pandora though.

Also it should be easy to buy a replacement, so a generic type would do fine for me if the quality is ok.

Back