The Wiz Naked

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Just got one of the WIZ prototypes. It's still the old one with 2,5mm headphone jack and double-DPad, but here are some sexy naked pictures :)
(yes, it has got two speakers, one just fell off and I need to resolder it, that's why there's only one on those pictures).

As usual, click on the images for a bigger view. Enjoy :)

pcb_thumb.jpg
pcb2_thumb.jpg
case_thumb.jpg
pieces_thumb.jpg
battery_thumb.jpg

(yes, it has got two speakers, one just fell off and I need to resolder it, that's why there's only one on those pictures).

I see quality control is as good as ever... :p

iprice said:
I see quality control is as good as ever... :p

It's a prototype ;)

I wonder what those CON4 and CON5 slots on pcb2.jpg are for :)

Last edited:
ED, Did you notice that the "lock" symbol is on the wrong side of the button. :D
@Squirrel61 : Yes. A hold function exists which is identical to PSP.

Thanks for the pictures, Ed!

Can you detect the manufacturer of the OLED?

Regards,
Stephan

The controller is a Samsung S6E63D6. Don't know about the actual panel though.

EDIT: For the screen this is.

Orkie said:
The controller is a Samsung S6E63D6. Don't know about the actual panel though.

EDIT: For the screen this is.
Ah, yes. Thanks, Orkie.

BTW. What's the purpose of the SST39VF3201? It seems to be a 32 Mbit NOR Flash chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of a center pivot on the D-pad is of concern. In many games if you accidentally press 3 or all 4 directions at once the game control locks up or gives erratic movement.

DaveC said:
The lack of a center pivot on the D-pad is of concern. In many games if you accidentally press 3 or all 4 directions at once the game control locks up or gives erratic movement.
I was under the impression that GPH are adding a D-pad pivot. However, your thing about games crashing is utter shit.

Peter R said:
DaveC said:
I was under the impression that GPH are adding a D-pad pivot. However, your thing about games crashing is utter shit.

quoted for truth...

maybe davec games uses length of two arrays for storing dpad inputs and they overflow in some wacky manner :ph34r:

thanks ED, cool pics :) pollux looks sexy

Peter R said:
DaveC said:

There are a few games which do that, but it was more likely some kind of hardware protection mechanism (especially back in the days of pirate arcade games).

As for home consoles, was it battle toads which does it too? Goes mental if you press an impossible combination? I remember this from the early days of PC emulators and using the arrow keys.

Peter R said:
DaveC said:

In defense of DaveC is erratic is *NOT* the same as crashing, erratic could simply mean that the gamer controlled character stops moving due to conflicting inputs

Back