The Wiz Naked

Amon_Re said:
Peter R said:
DaveC said:
The lack of a center pivot on the D-pad is of concern. In many games if you accidentally press 3 or all 4 directions at once the game control locks up or gives erratic movement.
I was under the impression that GPH are adding a D-pad pivot. However, your thing about games crashing is utter shit.

In defense of DaveC is erratic is *NOT* the same as crashing, erratic could simply mean that the gamer controlled character stops moving due to conflicting inputs

Either way, the game isn't functioning properly and it's in part due to a hardware flaw. GPH really should add d-pad pivot, I can't recall a single gaming machine (let alone a handheld) that didn't have it. Just what we've all come to expect from GPH, though... <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Either way, the game isn't functioning properly and it's in part due to a hardware flaw. GPH really should add d-pad pivot, I can't recall a single gaming machine (let alone a handheld) that didn't have it. Just what we've all come to expect from GPH, though... <_<
You just don't bother reading properly do you?

Peter R said:
DaveC said:
The lack of a center pivot on the D-pad is of concern. In many games if you accidentally press 3 or all 4 directions at once the game control locks up or gives erratic movement.
I was under the impression that GPH are adding a D-pad pivot. However, your thing about games crashing is utter shit.

Actually it is your reading and comprehension skills that are utter shit.

I never said the game will crash.

"the game control locks up". To explain, this means that if you are for example playing a shooter and you press all directions by accident you ship will stop moving (Lock up, freeze etc) until you release the pad (but by that time you probably have already lost a ship and yelled "What the fuck!") .

Peter R said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
You just don't bother reading properly do you?

No, I did, and if I missed something I'm sorry. But seriously, are you constantly chafing or something? At least be so cordial as to offer some sort of explanation to your opinion instead of just being a complete condescending douche about it.

Peter R said:
Will pay £1 to whichever moderator gives CronoTriggerfan a permaban.

Orkie said:
Peter R said:
Will pay £1 to whichever moderator gives CronoTriggerfan a permaban.

You quote Pete and ask for CronoTriggerfan to be banned? How woood!

CTF was being a prat and I quoted Peter to demonstrate CTF's stupidity.

The quote is not related to the text that follows it,

Orkie said:
CTF was being a prat and I quoted Peter to demonstrate CTF's stupidity.

The quote is not related to the text that follows it,
CronoTriggerfan actually had a valid point as if multi direction wasn't available in the original hardware, the emulator can be aware of this and stop it from happening, so I think calling him a prat is a bit over the top, don't you?

CronoTriggerfan said:
No, I did, and if I missed something I'm sorry. But seriously, are you constantly chafing or something? At least be so cordial as to offer some sort of explanation to your opinion instead of just being a complete condescending douche about it.
I've addressed the pivot comment multiple times. Oh, It was a statement, not an opinion.

WarmFluffyUK said:
CronoTriggerfan actually had a valid point as if multi direction wasn't available in the original hardware, the emulator can be aware of this and stop it from happening, so I think calling him a prat is a bit over the top, don't you?
Orkie is referring to CTF yelling at me which was about me saying he didn't read my post. If he had of done he would not of been complaining about the lack of a pivot.

WarmFluffyUK said:
so I think calling him a prat is a bit over the top, don't you?
No, actually I don't. I am calling him a prat because he is a prat, not just based on this one thread.

Orkie said:
Yet another example of you being patronising also.
My intention was not to patronise you.

Please lets end this public bitching here. If you have any problems PM me. Let this thread get back on topic.

Yeah, you're right. Some things look better with at least some clothes on... ;-)

Orkie, your ignorance and bias speaks for itself. As does yours, Peter, but not to such a rampant level, you're at least level-headed and seem like a nice guy. GPH could use sewing needles as buttons and put a trackball in the place of a proper d-pad and you'd still defend it to hell and back. :rolleyes: I'm just asking for some objectivity here. If you haven't noticed, I've stuck up for the Wiz on a number of occasions, yet have still been able to advise where I think designs could be improved based on my findings. Orkie, you might as well be on the payroll for GPH, so I advise you start doing the same. FYI, it's okay to criticize aspects of a product based on a personal opinion and not be "stupid" or, what was the word you used, prat? Who the fuck says that, anyways? Must be a European thing. Just wanted to have the chance to defend myself. Still wanna duke it out? Shoot me a PM, because I really am tired of getting harassed by you.

Anyways, yeah, the Wiz looks fairly mod-friendly from the inside. I hope they keep the motherboard as one uniform piece, as that would be ideal should any modding interests peak. Well, for me at least! :p

CronoTriggerfan said:
Orkie, your ignorance and bias speaks for itself. As does yours, Peter, but not to such a rampant level, you're at least level-headed and seem like a nice guy. GPH could use sewing needles as buttons and put a trackball in the place of a proper d-pad and you'd still defend it to hell and back. :rolleyes: I'm just asking for some objectivity here. If you haven't noticed, I've stuck up for the Wiz on a number of occasions, yet have still been able to advise where I think designs could be improved based on my findings. Orkie, you might as well be on the payroll for GPH, so I advise you start doing the same. FYI, it's okay to criticize aspects of a product based on a personal opinion and not be "stupid" or, what was the word you used, prat? Who the fuck says that, anyways? Must be a European thing. Just wanted to have the chance to defend myself. Still wanna duke it out? Shoot me a PM, because I really am tired of getting harassed by you.
I will not fight in private, there is no accounting for what has been said. If you want to argue, I am happy to do so here, or in #gp2xdev. I am not pro-GPH, I am anti arsehole.

I am avoiding flamefest, do not burn me in the crossfire. :p

I have a question, though: Can you really prevent game lockup with software control? The problem is, what happens when you are playing an intense game, and go from up to down, but because it lacks a pivot point, it is still hitting both? Does the "software protection" tell it to go up, down, or nothing? I do not understand how this could work.

Also, dpads without pivot points are made of fail. How many of you have tried them on chinese PMPs? They are TERRIBLE! They feel squashy, hard to control, and imperfect, and you cannot press to hard for fear of pressing all directions at once.

This is a big flaw, IMO. The GB micro dpad is one of the best I have ever used, and it also has the HIGHEST pivot point of any dpad I have ever used.

@CTF: In my mods, I have found multiple boards to be better. You can move stuff around, re arrange it, rewire the ribbon cables, etc. With a solid board, you can rarely do that. One of the reasons I am liking the internal structure of the PSP for a mod I am doing.

Of course, the wiz is so small that these may all be moot points anyway. :)

Back