theSCENE Magazine Reviews OpenPandora

Glad to be of assistance. :)

@Fusion_Power - The pictures formerly were in some section or other on the website. I grabbed them from there a few months ago, when I had some business cards produced to give to people who ask about the machine. I'm not sure why they seem to be gone, now, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just two nitpicks.

It has a resistive touch screen, not capacitive. Capacitive is the type of screen used in the iDevices which give them their multitouch ability, at the cost of some accuracy and not being able to just poke the screen with whatever's handy.

Second, about battery life, the article says low power gets "a few hours" more. From a full charge, I get almost 30 hours standby on mine, and in regular play mode, with the screen at max brightness, I get 10 hours of actual use out of it. By turning the backlight to minimum, that increases to 14 hours of actual use. If your guy only got 10 hours with the backlight turned way down, and only a few hours more in standby (as opposed to the 2 to 3 times most experience) there may actually be a problem with the battery.

Great review, looking much nicer with the press pack.

Just thought I'd mention that for more 'EASILY tidying up XFCE applications names/places etc' there is Caine's PND that transparently deals with OVR editing, shortcuts etc. Not something the article needs but certainly a handier way to re-organise things. A mention of the other OS options and attempts in progress, such as Arch, Gentoo, LXDE, Debian, Droidora, or even just the unbrickable nature and the option to SD install might be worth it though.

Oh, one other nitpick I just noticed.

It's not 4 guys in Britain, it's one guy in Britain, one in Germany, one in Turkey, and one in Canada.

I thought I'd clear up a few things.

First of all, emulation. PSX emulation didn't work for me because I didn't have the right plugin selected. Figured this out long after I submitted the review for editing. D'oh.

Battery life. I'm told by EvilDragon that my Pandora has some sort of malfunction on the PCB which causes it to use more power than usual. I believe this also causes N64 emulation to fail. I haven't gotten around to sending it back. D'oh again.

And of course the other comments (such as the wrong CPU cycles in sleep mode, the "4 guys in Britain" statement, etc) are all mistakes on my part. Sorry!

I thought I'd clear up a few things.

First of all, emulation. PSX emulation didn't work for me because I didn't have the right plugin selected. Figured this out long after I submitted the review for editing. D'oh.

Battery life. I'm told by EvilDragon that my Pandora has some sort of malfunction on the PCB which causes it to use more power than usual. I believe this also causes N64 emulation to fail. I haven't gotten around to sending it back. D'oh again.

And of course the other comments (such as the wrong CPU cycles in sleep mode, the "4 guys in Britain" statement, etc) are all mistakes on my part. Sorry!

Bummer.

You couldn't, maybe, amend your review to address what you just cleared up, could you? This review will be floating around on the interwebs long after a clarification on a niche lil board has disappeared from plain sight.

[edit] Oops, you did already (I did try to check first, I promise!), and now I need to amend my post here accordingly. How's that for irony? [/edit]

[edit2] No, I don't really want to get into a discussion about the correct use of the term 'irony'. [/edit2]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back