Thinking Of Getting One?

Spam

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I am really impressed with everything i have seen about the console and was thinkning of getting one a couple of months back but thought i would leave it a while. Now it is nearing my birthday and i am thinking of getting a GP2X again but what i really wanted to know is..
If i leave it a while again will the price drop and will the apps/games ec get drastically better?

I doubt the cost will drop dramatically any time soon.

The emus/games/apps are consistantly getting better ... which you would have known if you searched around for a few minutes ...

IMMHO I don't think the price will be dropping any time soon, although you can look on EBay for some deals (if you wanted a second hand one).

Apps and games on the other hand are a different matter. They're getting better all the time, that's the nature of home brew.
New people come along, some drift off, current developers learn new things and methods. Saying that, it's some of the fun finding the "issues" (if there are any!) with the apps and games, reporting them and having the developer (or someone else, that's open source for you) update the thing and release it with "your" changes.

OK that's a little simplified but it can be like that.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I don't know, beaten to it :)

Sorry, I knew they were constantly improving. What i meant was if they would dramtically change, for example the snes emulator becoming faster and more compatible. As I had read that devs had now moved onto the PSX leaving the snes behind.

But cheers for all the info, if the price wont change i might get one now.

No devs haven't really changed to the psx emulator. The guys developing psx4all are a totally different team. The people behind squidgesnes are in fact squidge who originally made that emu and reesy who improved it later with a few hacks and optimisations. Now we are hoping that reesy will continue to work on the snes stuff but he has also a lot of other awesome apps that need to be taken care of...

IMHO if you want a GP2X, get it now, it's already amazing and as you properly noticed it's only getting better. The price probably won't drop soon because it's all about hardware, GPH doesn't get any money out of sold games and even less of all the free emus, games, apps whatever ;D.
I, for my part, think it's really amazing to look forward to a handheld emulating the PSX at pretty much fullspeed, there is no PSP-PSX emu which could handle this out yet !

David Beoulve posted on May 18 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
I'd suggest you get one now, especially as the Mk2's are just coming out. Click on the banner at the top if you are in Europe. Head to www.GP32z.com if you are in the U.S.

What if I'm in Brazil? >_< I'm seriously interested in getting one, but I'll probably end up buying from Lik-Sang. Seems to be the cheapest option for me. Just waiting for the MK2 units and the Carrying Case to become available. Does anyone have any experience with Lik-Sang, as in, do they ship fast and all?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ordered a couple things from them. They rarely show up within two weeks. Three is around the magic number.

That said, everything has shown up, and to date, everything has worked. I'd hate to think about having to return something.

David Beoulve posted on May 19 2006 at 10:40 AM said:
I've ordered a couple things from them. They rarely show up within two weeks. Three is around the magic number.
Hmmm maybe I should spend a few extra bucks for the 4 days shipping then, instead of airmail.

David Beoulve posted on May 19 2006 at 10:40 AM said:
That said, everything has shown up, and to date, everything has worked. I'd hate to think about having to return something.
Yeah, but returning would be a problem for me wherever I bought the thing from... No matter if it's in the UK, US or Korea, it's all Far Far Away for me =/

Has anyone had any dealings with play-asia? Im thinking of buying from there as its bout £20 cheaper than most places and that includes shipping screen protectors!

Has anyone had any dealings with play-asia? Im thinking of buying from there as its bout £20 cheaper than most places and that includes shipping screen protectors!

Spam posted on May 20 2006 at 04:39 AM said:

Yeah I've order several items from Play-Asia in the last few months or so.That includes everything from a ceramic white PSP to video game books.No problems at all.Great packaging,and fast shipping.Standard airmail normally shows up within one week of items being shipped,and the express option shows up within 3 days or less from Asia.They give little cool give-a-way items like candies and stickers,as well as a $5 dollar off coupon with every order.I'm actually waiting right now for them to get the new GP2X MK2 units so I can place an order ASAP!I've never had a problem with any orders so I can't say how returns would play out,but based on the quality I've received so far,I wouldn't expect any issues in the future.I hope this info helps out!

Back