Thinkpad Retro

Interesting. I have been buying a lot of older thinkpads recently (x200s, x201, x220) because they are cheap and I was fearing they would be the last of a beautiful design (wasted from the x230 onwards).

It would be great if they come back to their strengths.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like something like the x220 (i have it currently and like it very much) with slightly higher resolution, as light, modern ports (USB3), a better trackpad, and maybe slightly thinner (but no need to make it flat either, i don't carry my laptop in an envelope :D .

This post pushed me over the edge and I bid on an x220 here in TO on ebay.

I won it and WOW. I love this computer. Feels little and practical, but also has ports galore and lots of expansion potential. Got ubuntu 17 rocking and she's just a DELIGHT to work with.

I've always coveted the thinkpads i've seen in my life but never pulled the trigger on one. Should have done this sooner. The retro one has me pretty interested.
FTFY. Even as quickly as you want, his soul still lingers a round for a little longer ;)

Aww but without Mac users how would anti mac people inflate their sense of superiority? Seems to me they owe Jobs a debt of gratitude.

Lenovo is not able to make as complex and sturdy laptops as IBM did.

First of all they would cost more to have better QC, and the good parts like keyboards arent made (?).
Moreover the liquid spill chassi etc, is not part of any current production line. So it would be serious investment to get there.

I have more faith in the various projects that retrofit old thinkpads with newer mainboards and screens. Those are available.
One of those with ARM hardware, on original batteries would be really interesting though.

I have more faith in the various projects that retrofit old thinkpads with newer mainboards and screens. Those are available.
Very interested in this. Where it's a good place to start looking into this? As long as the hardware is decent quality and somewhat affordable I might go that route when I feel the need for a "new" laptop. If it checks a few more boxes this would be the perfect option for me.

Back