1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Thinkpad Retro

Discussion in 'Guest Area' started by Slacker, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Shenmue

Shenmue Advanced Member

FTFY.  Even as quickly as you want, his soul still lingers a round for a little longer ;)

2. benoitb

benoitb Very Active Member

Interesting. I have been buying a lot of older thinkpads recently (x200s, x201, x220) because they are cheap and I was fearing they would be the last of a beautiful design (wasted from the x230 onwards).

It would be great if they come back to their strengths.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2015
  3. moxie

moxie The voice of reason, sense and exasperation Staff Member

I have recently gotten myself an x201. Amazingly good machine.

4. ekianjo

ekianjo Hardcore Member

The x250 is a step back in the right direction, but it only has a single RAM slot :p  

5. directive0

directive0 Very Active Member

This post pushed me over the edge and I bid on an x220 here in TO on ebay.

I won it and WOW. I love this computer. Feels little and practical, but also has ports galore and lots of expansion potential. Got ubuntu 17 rocking and she's just a DELIGHT to work with.

I've always coveted the thinkpads i've seen in my life but never pulled the trigger on one. Should have done this sooner. The retro one has me pretty interested.
    Aww but without Mac users how would anti mac people inflate their sense of superiority? Seems to me they owe Jobs a debt of gratitude.

6. Magic Sam

Magic Sam Forever Homebrew

Hi all :)

Lots of Thinkpad laptops on Technoethical (Respect Your Freedom certified, with Libreboot):

https://tehnoetic.com/laptops

Cheers, Magic Sam

7. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

Lenovo is not able to make as complex and sturdy laptops as IBM did.

First of all they would cost more to have better QC, and the good parts like keyboards arent made (?).
    Moreover the liquid spill chassi etc, is not part of any current production line. So it would be serious investment to get there.

I have more faith in the various projects that retrofit old thinkpads with newer mainboards and screens. Those are available.
    One of those with ARM hardware, on original batteries would be really interesting though.

benoitb, rygD and directive0 like this.
  8. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Very interested in this. Where it's a good place to start looking into this? As long as the hardware is decent quality and somewhat affordable I might go that route when I feel the need for a "new" laptop. If it checks a few more boxes this would be the perfect option for me.

9. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember