This is how much I hate the nubs on my Pandora

Hm, I just took a look at https://www.dragonbox.de/en and didn't see any nubs! Only defective Pandora PCBs, but it might be difficult to remove the nubs from one of those without destroying them :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not hard to desolder nubs. You need a desoldering tool if you are not experienced. I only used my soldering tool to desolder my bad nubs. The removed bad nubs are still good shapewise.

Last edited by a moderator:
My left nub is broken too, cracked in the surrounding ring.

They are only available per request, as we don't have new ones left but desolder them from nonworking PCBs.

I am planning on getting a set of spare parts when I send my Pandora in.  An extra nub or two would be nice to have.

They are only available per request, as we don't have new ones left but desolder them from nonworking PCBs.
Any news on this? I sent you a PM some days ago  ;)

If it saves you some time, I could even de-solder nubs from broken PCBs myself ...

I didn't have time to work through my PMs for quite a while, sorry.

I hope to be able to catch up soon.

Alright, then I can lean back an relax ... time is not really an issue in this case :)

My First Batch nubs are working great, still, on both Pandoras .. 

My left nub has some hardcore plastic cracks underneath, I might need to get some superglue onto it. probably why it doesn't work properly

My left nub seems to work okay some of the time, but my right nub seems to have a spot on the bottom left that doesn't register, so my Nub Test sort of looks like a cookie with a bite taken out of it on the bottom left side. I'm going to wait until I can snag a 1ghz board though, and I'll replace it and then see about 3d printing a separate case for my Rebirth for use as a mini desktop or something.

Could be that problems occur on the left since its being used more. I nub on the right and i aint even mad.
On my Rebirth and 1Ghz units, I noticed movement issues with them new out of the box. I can enable mouse movement on the right nubs and those behave much better.

My First Batch Pandora nubs seem perfect.
My CC pandora hasn't had any nub issues... However lid  closing switch on the otherhand....

My left nub has some hardcore plastic cracks underneath, I might need to get some superglue onto it. probably why it doesn't work properly
Have you tried your luck with superglue already?

I would be careful and try some other kind of glue. Superglue (cyanoacrylate) emits fumes that might settle on surrounding surfaces and render contacts non-conductive.

EvilDragon made me an early Christmas present .... aaaaaaaand here we go!  :lol:

So far, the new nubs work very well and I am finally satisfied with those little troublemakers.

Changing them was not easy and I struggled a lot with removing the solder.

Luckily, there was an easier way to remove the nubs (in case anyone else wants to replace them). It was possible to squeeze a piece of paper between the PCB and the nub. Instead of removing the solder, I applied more. This ensured that holding the soldering iron onto a soldering joint would melt all of the solder of that joint (between the PCB and the nub). Then I moved the paper into the solder joint and removed the soldering iron. This separated the nub from the PCB in that spot. After five repetitions, the nub came loose  :)

IMG_20151114_232433.jpg

IMG_20151114_233427.jpg

cool idea with the paper. usually you could have used a desolder pump, if you don't have one, they are really cheap (like 3 or 4 euros if you get a budget one) and very handy for simple desolder jobs like this.

I think I might have to change the nub on my CC unit, too. It's also the left one acting up since I had it. Now I am mainly using my GHz unit which works flawlessly, but it sure would be nice to know both are shiny and fully working.

I tried my luck with desoldering braid, but that wasn't efficient enough and I was concerned about frying something on the other side of the PCB.

Thanks for the tip with a desoldering pump. I will definitely buy one :)

Back