This Poll Is About Buttons.

WAT IS IT

• YBXA (GP2X style)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XABY (SNES/DS style)

• TriangleCircleCrossSquare (Playstation style)

• NSEW

• Greek letters

• UpDownLeftRight

• Other (enumerate below)

• Replace the buttons with a second D-pad

• Don't care

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
STOP TALKING ABOUT THINGS MORE THAN BUTTONS! :angry:

GunPei2X said:
atomicthumbs, you can just cut & paste these for example: α, β, χ, γ (alpha, beta, chi, gamma)
Not any more. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote is still for NSEW button scheme as its the most original. We all know that the label on the buttons dont matter but if a program was to ask the user to press the "W button" there should be no reason that any one would have to move their hand to check what to press, even if the user is accustomed to another joypad/controller.

As for there being confusion between the directions and action, I think that the ease of using a compass which every one is taught at a young age.

Im not sure how this applies for all other non-english speaking nations but at least Spanish uses the same first initials.

Edit:
for spanish, french, and german, the only lanuages whose compasses i could quickly find, at least 3 of 4 directions have the same first initial.

α, β, χ, γ are close enough to a, b, x, y for everyone, and I think it would be quite fitting. Pandora...Greek Myth...

greendots said:
My vote is still for NSEW button scheme as its the most original. We all know that the label on the buttons dont matter but if a program was to ask the user to press the "W button" there should be no reason that any one would have to move their hand to check what to press, even if the user is accustomed to another joypad/controller.
Hmmm, unless new users (or whomever) think it means the "W" on the keyboard...I was originally for the 'compass' buttons, but now that I think about it...

"Where's the ANY key?" "Where the hell is my TAB?" :)

geo12 said:
Pandora...Greek Myth...
This seals the deal for me.

Not only are they unique button markings, they tie into the brand/philosophy of the product in a way that hasn't been seen on a console before (to my knowledge).

In fact I like greek letters too, if it's αβχψ (they are the perfect ones).

I don`t see the option of STFU in the list, Or RTFM, Though i think RTFM would be a great choice,
As we could always refer to them if someone here posts a dumb/silly or obvious question.

Yes i know, I`m spamming.

I`ll get my coat.

Btw, Voted "Don`t care".

Trooper

I like the NSFW arrangement. ;) Someone really needs to make buttons like that for theirs, just to show it to people, and say online "my button arrangement is NSFW." Totally amazing.

ok people please don't vote "don't care". this is an opinion poll. you can't have no opinion at all...just choose the one that seems the best to you. please?

magicman5421 said:
ok people please don't vote "don't care". this is an opinion poll. you can't have no opinion at all...just choose the one that seems the best to you. please?
I don't have an opinion...I don't like the Playstation shapes, and I think NSEW seems tacky given that most of the time the buttons won't be oriented in those directions, but other than that it's not a huge issue to me.

Tom` said:
I think NSEW seems tacky given that most of the time the buttons won't be oriented in those directions, but other than that it's not a huge issue to me.
You intend to hold your Pandora upside down a lot?

Chip said:
Tom` said:
I think NSEW seems tacky given that most of the time the buttons won't be oriented in those directions, but other than that it's not a huge issue to me.
You intend to hold your Pandora upside down a lot?

Uh, no...I guess I was unclear, but my point is that "north" is generally not the same thing as whatever is "forward" for you at any given time.

Sphinxter said:
Not sure you can have a fair poll without a none of the above option.
well, the thing is that something has to go on the buttons, and it might as well be what the most people want. just think of the one you'd like the least and vote for one other than that. there's gotta be one you don't want.

Javacat said:
Where's 1234 in the list! (that's my vote) It came up quite a few times in that other thread <_<
+1, but it should be I, II, III, IV, so as not to get mixed up with the number keys above the dpad/buttons.

White Demon said:
Javacat said:
Where's 1234 in the list! (that's my vote) It came up quite a few times in that other thread <_<
+1, but it should be I, II, III, IV, so as not to get mixed up with the number keys above the dpad/buttons.

I think the best option is the least likely to get you sued so I would go out of my way to avoid the big three.
My personal use case of a video game after much study seem to be a bit like American baseball, you don't think, you react, if you take time to think you're out. User greets machine, inserts coin, hits all the buttons several times observing the actions and begins to play without ever looking down after figuring out where to put the hand. More learn by dying than instruction.

In applications made specifically for the Pandora, NSEW would allow you to press the button without looking. North would be the top one. East, the right, etc. I always get mixed up for which button to press when playing the GP2X. But that may be just me.

For anyone who missed the other shitstorm discussion, if you were wondering what the Greek option was all about, it's something like this:

pandorakeys2xp7.jpg

So if "Don't Care" wins (and it looks like it will) will the buttons be blank~

I agree that this poll is probably not going to effect the Pandora's final layout, but I'm glad it was started because I somehow missed the first two polls and am interested in what everyone preferred..

I wouldn't worry about the Keyboard buttons getting mixed up with the Gaming buttons if they have the same labels.. If you had a game designed to use both the keyboard and game pad you'd have a way of specifying which one you were referring to, For example, just put a circle around the gaming buttons and a square around the keyboard buttons.

And even though you aren't always going to be facing the north pole, the NSEW layout still looks like any compass rose you've seen on any map, where you, typically, point North away from you.

I'd buy the Pandora no matter how tacky it looked, This thing's going to be damn useful. (not that this is incentive to make it look tacky now..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back