This Poll Is About Buttons.

WAT IS IT

• YBXA (GP2X style)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XABY (SNES/DS style)

• TriangleCircleCrossSquare (Playstation style)

• NSEW

• Greek letters

• UpDownLeftRight

• Other (enumerate below)

• Replace the buttons with a second D-pad

• Don't care

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted Greek just to upset the balance of the Universe, attract Frat brothers and Sorority Sisters, and to scare off any normal people..... I mean the weirdo's with 9-5 Jobs and famillies and ..... nvm....

Gruso said:
For anyone who missed the other shitstorm discussion, if you were wondering what the Greek option was all about, it's something like this:

pandorakeys2xp7.jpg
Batterd sausage and chips with curry sause please. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Pi, Chi, Delta, Omega. I know the names are probably wrong, and I'm too lazy too copy and paste the actual symbols.

i voted NSEW
but with greek letters :p

North : ν (nu) or the Koppa numeral love the glyph : Ϟ
East : ε (epsilon)
South : ς (sigma lowercase final word )
West : ω (omega) in french west is 'Ouest' B)

in bigger version
Ϟ
ω ε
ς

and for those who couldn't see correct letters ( take the last letter of each image )
Koppa numeral :
Koppa_numeral.png

Epsilon :
100px-Epsilon_uc_lc.svg.png

Sigma :
100px-Sigma_uc_lc.svg.png

Omega :
100px-Omega_uc_lc.svg.png

PlopperZ : you can type HTML
Δ
for have Δ

good link : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_grec...age_Tex_ou_HTML
sorry i don't find similar article in english ( no time also :rolleyes: )

Arialia said:
i was told of the tab for typing letter greek in html , it is not in english version :rolleyes:
Oh sorry, my bad.

I thought I was voting for a sure loser with Greek letters but guess not. Especially if they look like their SNES counterparts, in the SNES layout... then that'd probably avoid copyright, it'd get the Nintendo similarity, it'd avoid ambiguity with the keyboard, is more unique.. seems like the most advantageous option.

I think the Pando is far more than just a gaming system. I assume people will be using this thing for web browsing, chatting, email, coding and general word processing. I also assume that most people will use the d-pad and gamepad as hotkeys for navigation and launching processes, and therefore the buttons should give an obvious clue as to their function within the OS.

I don't think traditional numbering such as ABXY/1234/ABCD will do the Pando much justice when in use as a ultra-portable productive device, and developers have no incentive or platform to implement uniform functionality across their applications.

Therefore, I suggest that the buttons should be labeled very simple symbols which reflect their general function within the pando OS and windowed apps. I've given a few examples here.
For gaming directives (which everyone seems to be concerned about), these symbols could be abbreviated or even called by their names.

I've made my point a couple of times, with no direct response from anyone. Please, if you think my idea is shit, let me know. Tell me why. Let's discuss :)

I would like to question those saying that we have to follow the SNES style (be it with Greek letters, BAYX, 1234 or whatever) because it is some sort of defacto standard.

I think Sega would be more the 'defacto' standard in button layout on controllers today than Nintendo. After all, Sega always had their button placement as ABC (and later ABCXYZ), rather than BAYX. The Dreamcast then cemented todays standard, used on the xbox/360 controllers, with it's ABXY layout, A being on the bottom and B on the right. Even Sony, who use symbols rather than letters, adapted this sort of standard for select and cancel, using X for select and circle for cancel (In US and Europe anyway - I believe that Japan does it the other way around).

It's only Nintendo who have placed the button lettering 'backwards' - in what language does B come before A?

So for those wanting to adopt a button labelling because it is the 'defacto' standard, then it should be Sega and not Nintendo that is followed, since they DO have some sort of defacto standard. And I will of course be playing some both some snes and Megadrive on my Pandora when I get mine (and Saturn - IF it's ever attempted that is).

(Slightly off topic - while reading the threads about buttons the past couple of days, I've realised that when I played snes on my GP2X, I placed the buttons using the Sega method rather than Nintendo's, ie A at the bottom and B on the right, without even thinking about it - that's what I get for being so used to Sega's button layout - and guess what? It has never hampered my enjoyment of snes games one little bit. I'll probably do the same again on the Pandora without even thinking about it too. ).

But really, does it matter? After all, if someone who can't work out to map the buttons to mimic the snes when emulating it and use that, no matter what letters/symbols/numbers/whatever are on the actual buttons must be pretty stupid. And again, if they can't work out when they are playing snes and when they're not and use the buttons accordingly, well, again, they can't have all that much brain power.

EDIT: quartercast - you make a valid point with your button labelling, and it would be very interesting if your suggestion was used. And it wouldn't be a bad thing either. But as I said/wrote in the paragraph above, I'm not too fussed with what's on the buttons in the end.

The suggestion about labelling the buttons based on a function isn't appealing at all. For one it doesn't really look that good and second we already have two methods of navigating the Pandora's OS; those being the keyboard and touchscreen. We don't need a third.

JakeK said:
The suggestion about labelling the buttons based on a function isn't appealing at all. For one it doesn't really look that good and second we already have two methods of navigating the Pandora's OS; those being the keyboard and touchscreen. We don't need a third.
Well thank you for deciding what "we" need.

1. This thing will look as good as the amount of time spent on it.
2. Unless you memorise all sorts of keyboard shortcuts or use a command line all the time, keyboard isn't a very good nav tool
3. After playing on the DS for the past few years, I notice that if given the option to use the d-pad and gamepad over the touchscreen, I often use the buttons.
4. Who's to say more input options are worse? That's just a false argument.

Maybe we can have a poll to discern which input mode most people would be wanting to use. I'd put my money on d-pad/gamepad.

quartercast said:
Maybe we can have a poll to discern which input mode most people would be wanting to use. I'd put my money on d-pad/gamepad.
No, not more polls! If I see any more polls about the human interface method and subtopics thereof, I'm going to go on a killing spree.

Squidge said:
quartercast said:
No, not more polls! If I see any more polls about the human interface method and subtopics thereof, I'm going to go on a killing spree.

OK, I agree to not make a poll. But you have to tell me what you think of my idea! (Look at the example)

Squidge said:
If I see any more polls about the human interface method and subtopics thereof, I'm going to go on a killing spree.
Don't forget to take a video camera with you, you still haven't uploaded those random videos to youtube that we wanted. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back