Thought of the day...

Funny, I was just wondering a few days ago if magnetism could be in some way related to gravity
If you turn up the heat (a lot) three of the four fundamental forces - eloctro/magnetic, weak and strong nuclear forces - converge into one force. Physicists try to find for decades, that at even higher temperatures the forth - gravity - would join in. No luck so far. String theory is one attempt.
by defintion matter has no charge
If that's true, the Pyra will never work. Important parts of its functionality rely on the premise, that there are different particals with differing electrical charges.

Okay... new thought then... I'm in no way scholar-ed in this subject, nor did I do any research about it... Just something I philosophized over earlier... probably*cough* under the influence of a sativa ;)

I see us in space, or the universe, as being on the inside-out of a "bubble". Sort off... Like we're a sprite on a C64 screen, but without references like it's border, and 3D. If the sprite moves in a direction, it moves through the border of the screen and appears again at the other side. Isn't space the same?

If I would be possible to map the space itself with set coördinates (which wouldn't be possible really as all reference points move in space, but _if_ it would be possible to do so anyway, and I'd start moving in a straight line in any direction, that eventually- I would return on the same space coördinate I left from. As it's pretty big, it isn't -in this theorie-, endless in volume. But, a lot of time/movement of mass has gone over by the time I have traveled so far, the set coordinate would be perceived as a completely different environment and thus new, un explored space... Viable?

Also, if that would be the case, wouldn't light travel round the "virtual edges", like being in a mirror labyrinth? and we'd be finding new- far away, young galaxies that are actually our own in the past?

I wonder, I wonder... :)

Last edited:
The young galaxies aren't in any kind of regular pattern, which I think would fall out of any system of reflection/repetition.

We are in a kind of bubble though. A bubble of all the light that's even been able to get to us, because the universe is so vast, we can't see anything beyond that. Who knows what's going on beyond that, maybe it's reflections all the way down?

You can map the visible universe in a coordinate system to be fair, although I'm not sure whether that's concordant with everything relativistic. Certainly if you're travelling at anything approaching the speed of light, the grid lines would kind of bunch up in the direction of travel. I know that that can affect causality; as to whether han shot first strictly depends on the relativistic speed of the camera, but perhaps your coordinate system is unperturbed. I think that so far most astrophysicists and astronomers tend to work in polar coordinate from the plane of the major planets, because those are easier to use when the main thing your doing is working out where to point your telescope.

Edit: I guess the polar coordinates by definition are a system of coordinates too. I was imagining a regular grid coordinate system, but to be fair you didn't specify what you actually meant there.

Last edited:
You can map the visible universe in a coordinate system to be fair, although I'm not sure whether that's concordant with everything relativistic. Certainly if you're travelling at anything approaching the speed of light, the grid lines would kind of bunch up in the direction of travel. I know that that can affect causality; as to whether han shot first strictly depends on the relativistic speed of the camera, but perhaps your coordinate system is unperturbed. I think that so far most astrophysicists and astronomers tend to work in polar coordinate from the plane of the major planets, because those are easier to use when the main thing your doing is working out where to point your telescope.

Thing is, you'd be pointing/plotting it as seen from a moving planet, milkyway, everything. It's hard to say whether solar system A moves towards solar system B or the other way around,relative from a space location because everything moves. Right? So the coördinates should be seen separate from the mass moving inside.

The young galaxies aren't in any kind of regular pattern, which I think would fall out of any system of reflection/repetition.
You don't know which way and how fast they are moving, or how long the light of each instance would have taken to reach the present. People don't live long enough to notice....

Maybe the big bang wasn't a big bang after all, maybe it's just an add-up of light rays in the right angle of the "mirror effect"...Each broadcasted in it's own time but from the same mass. Maybe a wormhole is nothing but a cross-point of light angles caused by this mirror effect... maybe... maybe... :p

Ah fck it :) We don't live long enough to explore any of that anyway... we're puny, resistance is futile.

Thing is, you'd be pointing/plotting it as seen from a moving planet, milkyway, everything. It's hard to say whether solar system A moves towards solar system B or the other way around,relative from a space location because everything moves. Right? So the coördinates should be seen separate from the mass moving inside.
Nothing's actually moving at relativistic speeds that we know of (other than photons, but they're a special case), so you can be pretty specific about where major masses in the sky are, and how they're moving. And in a universe without a fixed centre (we generally define out own when we need it) it doesn't matter whether system A is moving or system B if moving, the only important thing is that the distance is reducing.

You don't know which way and how fast they are moving, or how long the light of each instance would have taken to reach the present. People don't live long enough to notice....

Maybe the big bang wasn't a big bang after all, maybe it's just an add-up of light rays in the right angle of the "mirror effect"...Each broadcasted in it's own time but from the same mass. Maybe a wormhole is nothing but a cross-point of light angles caused by this mirror effect... maybe... maybe... :p

Ah fck it :) We don't live long enough to explore any of that anyway... we're puny, resistance is futile.
Yes, we are pretty small on the scale of pretty much anything astronomical. Thankfully, we're sending up some quite smart satellites which can measure things quite accurately, and from those we can easily work out if anythings moving from that point of view. We generally use the redshift of chemical elements (primarily hydrogen I think) to work out what's moving towards us, although analysis has shown that actually very little is moving towards us. Almost everything is actually moving away.

I don't really understand the big bang beyond that, and don't know anything much about how they figured out the inflation that happened just afterwards, just that they say it happened that way.

Yes, I agree with that largely, especially when it comes to politicians, and certain journalists. And even scientists tend to report their results with a political spin, especially when it comes to anything that's been coopted into the political sphere like climate change particularly throughout the 90s and early 2ks. But scientists talking about stuff that doesn't affect any of us, they can still be wrong, but they generally have better reasoning that I have for their opinions. How does it benefit them in the slightest by lying to me about that stuff?

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
If only politicians could debate using the "steelman" approach (antithesis of the strawman argument), instead of resorting to base-level schoolyard style name calling and jeering. Or at least simply limit their speech to their own actions / plans.

It would be a nice approach in forums too, if debate / disagreement is unavoidable...

I was wondering yesterday why I get really irritated when I hear someone slurping. In the UK it was alsways traditionally considered rude to slurp, and doing so may get you a stern stare from a neighbouring stranger.

However, it in Japan it is almost expected to slurp (especially while eating udon or ramen).

I understand my reaction is fairly intrinsic to my personality, as trying to rationalize the reaction doesn't really help to reduce my irritation. I just learn to ignore it. So the question is, is irritation to noisy eating/drinking habits a socially conditioned reaction? It certainly doesn't benefit me any in certain situations.

A bigger question is, if it _is_ socially conditioned, then what does that say about one's "free will" - ie. subconsciously driven to specific conclusions or reactions with no rational or good reason.

I was wondering yesterday why I get really irritated when I hear someone slurping. In the UK it was alsways traditionally considered rude to slurp, and doing so may get you a stern stare from a neighbouring stranger.

However, it in Japan it is almost expected to slurp (especially while eating udon or ramen).

I understand my reaction is fairly intrinsic to my personality, as trying to rationalize the reaction doesn't really help to reduce my irritation. I just learn to ignore it. So the question is, is irritation to noisy eating/drinking habits a socially conditioned reaction? It certainly doesn't benefit me any in certain situations.

A bigger question is, if it _is_ socially conditioned, then what does that say about one's "free will" - ie. subconsciously driven to specific conclusions or reactions with no rational or good reason.
What do you expect to be other than the sum of your genetics and your experiences (physical, social, intellectual, etc)? Or, on what level do you expect to add something truely original to your self?

Closer to what provoked your thought train, eating more airy makes you more sensitive to the food's flavours, since most of what we call taste is actually smell.

I don't mind people slurping, but chewing with mouth open disgusts me.

Generally, I'll find something a lot more irritating if I believe people shouldn't do it, which is a thing I have some control over. If you want to stop being irritated by something, it could be worth considering.

They have this backwards:

Remove risky access to your data

Some apps or services you allowed to access your Google Account have not been verified by Google. Since they have extensive access to your personal information, you should remove their access unless you trust them

So, I am indeed removing risky access to the apps and services I do not trust.

Ironically what they're labelling as "risky access" is partly what I'm intending to replace them with - only that none of those replacements will have such "extensive access to my personal information"

is irritation to noisy eating/drinking habits a socially conditioned reaction?
Yes. But if it's a little irritating, then prolongued exposure to it rises your irritation levels. I live in the Netherlands. People are tall, and heavy. Walking Dutch involve richter scale mini quakes each time a Dutch walks. In other cultures, we land with the top of the foot, using it to cushion our walk. Not as stealthy as a ninja does...
So in old apartments, with wooden floors... you just hear them walking and it's irritating to me.
In some countries, there are flies that drink water from your eyes. People let them, because it's tiresome and they still come back.

We generally use the redshift
I've seen some info about redshift pass me by yesterday. The theory was, that the expansion of space, expands the wavelength of light traveling through it- along with it.
The example was about a far away universe that once transmitted blue light which traveled along with the expansion of space towards us, eventually shifted towards red, because of the co-expanding of the wave length of the light.

Okay... Could be possible...

Now my own train of thought (once again)... If- the furthest galaxies have shifted to red because of said theory, wouldn't the light of even further galaxies or even other big-bangs, even further away, have shifted passed red, even way passed infra-red? They would merely show up as a general low frequency radiation, drowned in a big soup of radiation coming from all directions. Thus, our universe can easily be part of a multiverse (plausible) right?

Back